Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:00:20 pm

Author Topic: Why should I do a MUEP?  (Read 3542 times)  Share 

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
Why should I do a MUEP?
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:41:07 pm »
Hey guys just wondering the benefits of doing the biomedical science program for MUEP? I would really love to do it and both the subjects they offer are right up my interest stream. However it just seams with travel time and the lectures cutting in with school classes and it not really giving much of an ATAR boost that there would be no point in me completing the program. Does anyone have any befits of me completing the program? Does it contribute to ATAR that much because I was calculating it and it only seems to raise my ATAR by .70? Also how do the tutorials fit in with normal school time if they are scheduled for e.g. 1-3 on a school day?     

Thanks  :)
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: Why should I do a MUEP?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:02:44 am »
+2
Hey guys just wondering the benefits of doing the biomedical science program for MUEP? I would really love to do it and both the subjects they offer are right up my interest stream. However it just seams with travel time and the lectures cutting in with school classes and it not really giving much of an ATAR boost that there would be no point in me completing the program. Does anyone have any befits of me completing the program? Does it contribute to ATAR that much because I was calculating it and it only seems to raise my ATAR by .70? Also how do the tutorials fit in with normal school time if they are scheduled for e.g. 1-3 on a school day?     

Thanks  :)
A few of my friends are undertaking MUEP Biomedical Science at Monash and they find it really enjoyable (provided they also liked Biology in Year 11 as well)!
The lectures are recorded so you won't have to miss out on school if it takes a while to get there however labs are different (compulsory attendance for my friends) which if I remember correctly, run afternoon Wednesdays (which if you're in Year 12 then it should be a free period for you anyway).
More or less, it's a great opportunity to experience university life meeting new people and in general, it's easier to score well in university extension subjects compared to normal VCE subjects (the mid-year exam they had for Biomed was 100 MCQ if I recall correctly from what friends told me)!

Keep the idea of extension open though and definitely apply so you still have the option later on as you are able trial the subject for a period of time and if you find it not worth then you should be okay to opt out (provided you get in the first place and no SACs for other subjects have run yet to switch back into unless you take 6 subjects next year and drop one after your trial for five in total :) )

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:52:26 am »
+3
Hey guys just wondering the benefits of doing the biomedical science program for MUEP?

What kind of benefits are you looking for? Assuming you enjoy biomedical science, you should find the units very engaging and fun, and might find that it gives you some motivation of what to look forward to next year. I have a friend who says doing MUEP chemistry has given her something to push through VCE for.

As for other VCE benefits... Not much off the top of my head. But, this will give you an idea of what university life is like, and you'll be slightly more prepared for it when you do get there. Not to mention, since you've already done some of the units, if you go on to biomed at monash, you can either accelerate your first year (and have a lighter third year when things get hectic), or underload in first year (meaning that your study commitment won't be as high whilst you're still adjusting).

However it just seams with travel time and the lectures cutting in with school classes and it not really giving much of an ATAR boost that there would be no point in me completing the program.

You do need to realise that these units are recorded - as it says on the MUEP page, lecture attendance is not compulsory, and I can almost guarantee that those units will be recorded and so you can watch them later at your leisure. This means you would not have to give up school time to watch them.

This might seem uninviting at first, but not attending lectures isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know plenty of people who do much better if they don't attend lectures, and instead watch them online. (Personally, I prefer to attend lectures, but that doesn't mean either of the two ways is wrong)

Does anyone have any befits of me completing the program?

See above.

Does it contribute to ATAR that much because I was calculating it and it only seems to raise my ATAR by .70?

It works like a 5th/6th subject, which is why you wouldn't notice much change. See here for more information.

Also how do the tutorials fit in with normal school time if they are scheduled for e.g. 1-3 on a school day?     

You will ~1 lab a week (a few weeks you'll have off, but I didn't take the units so I don't know for sure. Someone who has study them might be able to help you out more). This means you might have to talk to your school about working around that, but this should cause fewer dramas than you'd think. (with careful planning with your school [and possibly a little begging to Monash], you'll probably miss one class a week at most)

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:02:11 pm »
Thanks heaps guys!! Really gave me some stuff to think about!! I do have one more question though, if I am doing 3/4 bio this year what study score is required to be accepted or competitive in gaining entry to the program.  :)
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
Thanks heaps guys!! Really gave me some stuff to think about!! I do have one more question though, if I am doing 3/4 bio this year what study score is required to be accepted or competitive in gaining entry to the program.  :)
Out of the people I know who are undertaking it this year (and the year before), all have scores above 40 from Biology 3&4 from last year! I'm not too sure how competitive it is (I know it's a limited cohort compared to other subjects) but a score above 40 will get you in! I'd say high 30's would be okay too provided your other subjects were also going well too!

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »
Also would 5 subjects plus the MUEP be to much to handle in year 12?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »

Not necessarily, given how little time is devoted to uni subjects in comparison to VCE. I still wouldn't suggest it, though, because the study is a lot more dense to go with that small amount of subject time....

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:14:51 am »
+1

I'm currently doing 5 subject plus uni philosophy (all the assignments are take home essays), it's tough but manageable/doable. I'm doing this along with a job (restaurant-11 hours a week), Amus in two instruments and some volunteering, music ensembles and social service stuff at school. I also got H1 (high distinction/first class honours) in my first semester. I basically only study for it when I have to, when there's assignments/exams.  As mentioned, you don't have to attend lectures (I do though, because my lecturers were really good and uni is not too far from school as well as from where I live).

Whether it's worth it or not, depends on why you want to do it. Personally, I chose to do it because I'm planning on pursuing something completely different at uni (biomed), and this is one of my last opportunities to do a humanities subject (I enjoy humanities too). 

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb