Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:46:44 pm

Author Topic: Could you have a look at this context paragraph?  (Read 406 times)  Share 

e.m.i.l.y

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Could you have a look at this context paragraph?
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:36 pm »
I started talking about a psychological theory in this paragraph but I'm not all too sure if that works? I don't know! Feedback would be amazing!
It's really not a good paragraph at all and there were a lot of things I didn't explain very well but I really struggled with wording this idea which is why I'd love some feedback from someone else!

Prompt: 'Inner conflict is the most difficult to resolve.'

Extremist groups led by merciless fanatics have menaced humanity for centuries, and the difficulty in resolving the discord they instigate often lies in their conflicted minds. While the white terrorist Ku Klux Klan and the radical Islamic extremist group ISIS may seem to be polar opposites in their beliefs and ideals, we can in fact draw many similarities between the two, as they share the same dogged mentality. Both masked, cold-blooded and unscrupulous in their violent actions, the primary fuel for their extremism is their struggle with cognitive dissonance. The social psychologist Leon Festinger developed this theory in 1957, in an effort to explain the justification and absolute protection of fervently held core beliefs that can occur when faced with contradiction. Unable to accept anything less than 'One Hundred Percent Americanism' or the goal of an omnipotent worldwide caliphate, the KKK and ISIS have endeavoured to brutally eradicate any who they perceive as unsuitable for such aims. It is this steadfast inner tension and inability to accept difference that seems to have driven such actions, and perhaps explains the multiple reincarnations of the KKK and the difficulty in combatting ISIS today. While we can attempt indefinitely to resolve the external discord they generate, only when their conflicted mindsets are settled will their destruction perhaps cease to occur.
class of twenty fifteen.