Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:40 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150227 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
Hello!
I just have a quick question :)
I am doing E1 and my elective is Science Fiction. How likely is it that they will prescribe? Just because I am only discussing 2 of the texts, and I was wondering if they have ever prescribed before?
Thanks

Hey Kassidy! To my knowledge, they haven't prescribed specific texts to talk about before. I studied After the Bomb, and there were more than 3 prescribed texts available, but you only studied three in class. So, if Science Fiction is the same, I imagine that they wouldn't be able to specify a text to discuss simply because they don't know exactly which texts you've studied and which you haven't. I took a leap of faith and didn't prepare my third prescribed text. I focused on just two! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

biancadunn_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 03:57:46 pm »
Hello!
I just have a quick question :)
I am doing E1 and my elective is Science Fiction. How likely is it that they will prescribe? Just because I am only discussing 2 of the texts, and I was wondering if they have ever prescribed before?
Thanks

Hi!
I'm not sure how much help I'll be as my elective is Romanticism but my teacher always just gave us general advice (both for advanced and E1) that we shouldn't predict the hsc and should know out texts enough that we could write about all of them just in case there was ever a time when they did specify prescribed texts. Maybe have a bit of a plan for the other texts and see what you can carry across from the texts you have prepared already? My teacher requested us to put all our texts into a table (text, example, technique, explanation, critic).

In saying that, looking at past papers for E1 I've never seen a question where they specify texts so I doubt they would (and definitely hope so too). On that note, obviously your studies would have been different to mine but I studied a collection of poems and am only writing about 2 poems from those (which counts as 1 prescribed text) and about a novel, Frankenstein, and then my 2 related texts (1st is an artwork and 2nd is another poem) and am going in with all of those prepared as I have done all year. It would be unfair if they did, you have to find related texts that work with both the prescribed texts you've chosen and the study area, and they also don't know which texts you studied! So I'd say it's unlikely...
Sorry if that wasn't much help!

biancadunn_

• Adventurer
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Hey!

So for this course my school elective is Module B: ways of thinking and the selected area is Romanticism. Since we are doing British Romaticism i asked my teacher about doing Edgar allen poe as a related text however he is american and she said that it could be good but in the actual hsc they tend to be more conservative and like British related texts..so i was wondering if it would be a really bad idea to do a short story by poe considering he is american as a related text.

Thanks !

If you can justify it, why not! I'm also doing Romanticism, and for each of our related texts we had chosen our teacher checked them with BOSTES and they apparently gave her some advice for us and a yay or nay, maybe ask your teacher to do the same? I'm doing an artwork by an English artist and a poem by Keats. One thing our teacher always told us to be careful of was making it to gothic rather than romantic, but like I said if you can back it up and recognise it is American, and it fits with your prescribed texts I don't see why not :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »
If you can justify it, why not! I'm also doing Romanticism, and for each of our related texts we had chosen our teacher checked them with BOSTES and they apparently gave her some advice for us and a yay or nay, maybe ask your teacher to do the same? I'm doing an artwork by an English artist and a poem by Keats. One thing our teacher always told us to be careful of was making it to gothic rather than romantic, but like I said if you can back it up and recognise it is American, and it fits with your prescribed texts I don't see why not :)

Do you know what kind of criteria these approving people at bostes were going off? If you know, please share! It could be very valuable for other students in the next cohort who are yet to pick a related text :)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:57 pm »
Do you guys normally do the essay or creative 1st?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »
Do you guys normally do the essay or creative 1st?

I think I did the essay first! I think I decided on the spot in the exam based on the question :)

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »
I took a leap of faith and didn't prepare my third prescribed text. I focused on just two! :)

That makes me feel better because that is what I am doing...
*cough* haven't *cough* read *cough* Frankenstein *COUGH*  ;D
I swear I'll read it after the HSC  8)

Also, is is necessary, or is it okay, to mention quotes or ideas from other texts which are not the main ones you are talking about?
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2016, 03:22:56 pm »
That makes me feel better because that is what I am doing...
*cough* haven't *cough* read *cough* Frankenstein *COUGH*  ;D
I swear I'll read it after the HSC  8)

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that!!!! ;)
Also, is is necessary, or is it okay, to mention quotes or ideas from other texts which are not the main ones you are talking about?

I think that it can really elevate your response to draw on other sources. I did after the bomb, so for me, I found it useful to talk about other texts that had influenced the ones I was analysing, talking about different philosophies, historical events, etc. To me, that was really helpful in lifting the "ways of thinking" I was describing :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:25:35 pm by elysepopplewell »

mmmm675

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »
Hello! I'm doing ATB with Godot, Spy & Good night and Good luck. I'm VERY late to this thread (better late than never I guess) and have been going through the structure of the past HSC papers. Is it almost guaranteed that it will be 2 prescribed, 2 additional? Is it very rare that they ask for 3 prescribed? Could they just ask for 2 prescribed and 1 additional?

Sorry if this has already been asked!

Also how many paragraphs should I be aiming for? Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:34:53 pm by mmmm675 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »
Hello! I'm doing ATB with Godot, Spy & Good night and Good luck. I'm VERY late to this thread (better late than never I guess) and have been going through the structure of the past HSC papers. Is it almost guaranteed that it will be 2 prescribed, 2 additional? Is it very rare that they ask for 3 prescribed? Could they just ask for 2 prescribed and 1 additional?

Sorry if this has already been asked!

Also how many paragraphs should I be aiming for? Thanks!

I suppose the safest way for me to answer this is to give you the worst case scenario: they break pattern, and give you a specified, irregular requirement for texts. I put my bets on two prescribed and two related texts, that's the way I prepared last year and it's how I suggest people prepare this year. But also, at this point in the game, I wouldn't be trying to pick up another text anyway.

Prepare at least two prescribed texts really well, and at least two related texts really well. If you can bring in a few other sources like philosophers, other texts (if they have influenced, or been influenced by, your set texts), then I think you're setting yourself up for greatness!

Welcome to the Ext 1 thread :)

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2016, 12:43:49 pm »
Do you think it's necessary to have two creatives prepared or is one enough?

cmbarnes

• Adventurer
  • "It is never too late to be wise."
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2016, 01:12:30 pm »
Hey!

So for this course my school elective is Module B: ways of thinking and the selected area is Romanticism. Since we are doing British Romaticism i asked my teacher about doing Edgar allen poe as a related text however he is american and she said that it could be good but in the actual hsc they tend to be more conservative and like British related texts..so i was wondering if it would be a really bad idea to do a short story by poe considering he is american as a related text.

Thanks !

Hi!

I'm also doing Romanticism, and was considering a text by Edgar Allan Poe as a related. However my teacher was unsure as to whether it would be appropriate due to the time in which he was writing, and the Gothic nature of his works. However if you can find explicit examples of Romanticism within his work, and justify its relation to your prescribed texts, then there shouldn't be an issue! I ended up doing an artwork and poem for my related texts instead, as they better fit with my prescribed texts and were easier to analyse in relation to Romanticism.

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll smash the exam!
Goal ATAR: 90.00

I graduate in 2016 and study English Advanced, English Extension 1, Design and Technology, Modern History, History Extension, General Mathematics and Studies of Religion 1. Hoping to study the Bachelor of Design (Hons) / Media (PR and Advertising) at UNSW Art and Design.

cmbarnes

• Adventurer
  • "It is never too late to be wise."
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »

I would say that it really depends on the flexibility of your creative! Really, your story should be flexible enough to suit a variety of questions. I've found out the hard way just how difficult it can be to mould a HIGHLY SPECIFIC creative to a question/stimulus that has no relation to it whatsoever. It also depends on how much you think you're likely to remember under exam conditions, it's definitely far easier to remember one creative than two!
Goal ATAR: 90.00

I graduate in 2016 and study English Advanced, English Extension 1, Design and Technology, Modern History, History Extension, General Mathematics and Studies of Religion 1. Hoping to study the Bachelor of Design (Hons) / Media (PR and Advertising) at UNSW Art and Design.

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2016, 01:36:46 pm »
+1

I personally have two as there are two very different paradigms of Romanticism, the elective I'm doing - political and natural. But it would depend as well if that's the same in the elective you are doing.
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »

Adding two cents here - I only went in with one creative, and it did limit me. The creative was as broad as it gets, but with Extension you just never know. I did ATB, and I suppose there are two kind of paradigms: personal and political (this is just a rough break down). You can definitely make links between the two - but I favoured the personal side of things. If I had planned it from the beginning, I would have had two creatives. Do I think it's actually necessary? Not at all. I still did really well with the creative that I felt limited me. It's all about adaptability. :)