Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:04:57 am

Author Topic: Ways of Thinking: After the Bomb!  (Read 38750 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Ways of Thinking: After the Bomb!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 11:14:57 pm »
+2
Hey,
This is kinda directed to Elyse, because I know she did this, but is it alright to use the same discovery and extension cw provided both fit the question? Or would it be better to change the discovery story from out of the cold war era.
My teacher says it looks bad, even though they did tell us to write about something we know (and I hope I know something about the Cold War now haha).

I was really thinking what "cw" meant for a while, I was thinking "content warning" haha! I'm with you now - creative writing. I can't imagine why it would look bad to a marker for either discovery or Extension. The same marker will not mark both. Plus, I know of quite a few discovery students who didn't study extension, and they planted their creatives into the scenario of other periods and settings - I know one was a Vietnam War one, one was a Cuban Missile Crisis..and none of these students studied Extension, it was just that they knew about the era and wanted to write a story about a specific setting.

If the perception from a marker is something like, "Oh they've obviously used the same" and the reason they think that is because you haven't adjusted to the question, then there's a problem. But I can't imagine a marker thinking it's lazy for you, when it's smarter studying.

Why does your teacher think it might look bad? In case it appears lazy?

Of course, I don't HSC mark, but I definitely think this is an OK thing to do and I know lots of students have done this. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 12:46:05 pm »
I was really thinking what "cw" meant for a while, I was thinking "content warning" haha! I'm with you now - creative writing. I can't imagine why it would look bad to a marker for either discovery or Extension. The same marker will not mark both. Plus, I know of quite a few discovery students who didn't study extension, and they planted their creatives into the scenario of other periods and settings - I know one was a Vietnam War one, one was a Cuban Missile Crisis..and none of these students studied Extension, it was just that they knew about the era and wanted to write a story about a specific setting.

If the perception from a marker is something like, "Oh they've obviously used the same" and the reason they think that is because you haven't adjusted to the question, then there's a problem. But I can't imagine a marker thinking it's lazy for you, when it's smarter studying.

Why does your teacher think it might look bad? In case it appears lazy?

Of course, I don't HSC mark, but I definitely think this is an OK thing to do and I know lots of students have done this. :)

I don't really know. My extension story was about the discovery of a nuclear weapon (and I was so hyped at the prospect of finding both a spiritual and scientific discovery). And I used it for trials (and it fit the stimulus and everything-"discoveries can challenge your worldview") but the marker, who happened to be an extension teacher, said it was lazy bc it seemed like an extension story....

Got marked down because of it and lost my first place ranking rip me...

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 10:21:15 am »
+2
I don't really know. My extension story was about the discovery of a nuclear weapon (and I was so hyped at the prospect of finding both a spiritual and scientific discovery). And I used it for trials (and it fit the stimulus and everything-"discoveries can challenge your worldview") but the marker, who happened to be an extension teacher, said it was lazy bc it seemed like an extension story....

Got marked down because of it and lost my first place ranking rip me...

There's nothing in the marking criteria that means you should be marked down. The only reason is if you weren't relating it properly to discovery, then of course you get marked down. But they are marking you on what is in the criteria, not what your potential study habits or processes were in order to get this piece out there.

If the "it seemed like an extension story" is because you clearly haven't worked towards the question in the exam room, then you know that's what you need to work on. But if it wasn't about your adaptation, then I think it's unfair criticism, personally. What were the comments in the marking guidelines?

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 07:12:10 am »
There's nothing in the marking criteria that means you should be marked down. The only reason is if you weren't relating it properly to discovery, then of course you get marked down. But they are marking you on what is in the criteria, not what your potential study habits or processes were in order to get this piece out there.

If the "it seemed like an extension story" is because you clearly haven't worked towards the question in the exam room, then you know that's what you need to work on. But if it wasn't about your adaptation, then I think it's unfair criticism, personally. What were the comments in the marking guidelines?

She said it was a quite clever story with interesting structures and a clear discovery. However, the setting caused her to think it was obviously an extension story....

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
+1
She said it was a quite clever story with interesting structures and a clear discovery. However, the setting caused her to think it was obviously an extension story....

In my honest opinion, this does not warrant you being moved down in marks whatsoever. There's nothing in the criteria, which is what you are being marked by, to suggest this is a thing you should/could be penalised for. MANY students will use the same creative for Adv and Extension, and that's not to any discredit to any of these people, (me included), as long as each time the text is produced, it is addressing the demands of the module!

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 11:45:43 pm »
In my honest opinion, this does not warrant you being moved down in marks whatsoever. There's nothing in the criteria, which is what you are being marked by, to suggest this is a thing you should/could be penalised for. MANY students will use the same creative for Adv and Extension, and that's not to any discredit to any of these people, (me included), as long as each time the text is produced, it is addressing the demands of the module!

Thank you for the reassurance! Funny enough, it was the story I posted in the marking section. The question was something like "discoveries are confronting and transform our perception of broader society", and I did think that story at least addressed that specific rubric dotpoint.

(I'll look at your feedback tomorrow!  I'm a bit worried about its quality, since my teacher did use me as an example of what not to do haha)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 03:21:26 pm »
Experimentation with ideas and form within the texts of this module are reflective of the intensified questioning of humanity and human beliefs during their respective contexts.

To what extent does this statement reflect your study of After the Bomb?

In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts from the elective you have studied, and at least TWO texts of your own choosing

Is this a plausible exam question that I just made up?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 07:45:34 pm »
Experimentation with ideas and form within the texts of this module are reflective of the intensified questioning of humanity and human beliefs during their respective contexts.

To what extent does this statement reflect your study of After the Bomb?

In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts from the elective you have studied, and at least TWO texts of your own choosing

Is this a plausible exam question that I just made up?

Extremely realistic imo, I think I had something like this for a previous.

Roughly like "Cold War texts are valued for their ability to reflect the changing perspectives through their textual form and messages. Discuss etc

nin.jas17

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:57 pm »
Currently starting Yr 12 English Extension, doing Module B and After the Bomb elective.

I'm having trouble finding specific economic paradigms that relate to this time period, are there any major ones that I should look into in depth?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:17 pm »
+2
Currently starting Yr 12 English Extension, doing Module B and After the Bomb elective.

I'm having trouble finding specific economic paradigms that relate to this time period, are there any major ones that I should look into in depth?

Hey there!

One of the economic Paradigms I have always focused majorly on is communism v capitalism. These political ideologies are extremely economic based e.g communism’s ‘equality for all’ vs capitalism’s ‘ownership’ views, and they fit perfectly into ATB ways of thinking! So maybe do a little research on the economic side of these two ideologies :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

lg_anne

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:46 am »
Hi there! i was just thinking about writing another creative piece for after the bomb for this years HSC and i was wondering if it was alright to write about the korean war since most pieces i've read are based in America and the red scare and i wanted to try something different but i wasn't sure if it would be safe to do so. i would love some advice!

Thank you!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 09:11:20 am »
Hi there! i was just thinking about writing another creative piece for after the bomb for this years HSC and i was wondering if it was alright to write about the korean war since most pieces i've read are based in America and the red scare and i wanted to try something different but i wasn't sure if it would be safe to do so. i would love some advice!

Thank you!

Hey there! Welcome to the forums - happy to have you around :)

This is the prescription for the module:
In this elective students explore texts which relate to the period from the dropping of the atomic
bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki up to the collapse of the Soviet Union and the dismantling of the
Berlin Wall. A climate of Cold War anxiety permeates these texts in a number of ways. The texts may
emerge from, respond to, critique, and shape our understanding of ways of thinking during this period.
Many of these texts have a common focus on the personal and political ramifications of this era. They
are often characterised by an intensified questioning of humanity and human beliefs and values.
Experimentation with ideas and form may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

So yes, TOTALLY fine to focus on something like the Korean war. I think the reason that a lot of people don't focus on Vietnam or Korea (despite being very significant turmoils of the time) is because it's not reflected in their prescribed texts, so it means researching a new section of the era. But I'm all for it! Nothing stopping you, and I think it would be really unique to see a story about this time in history! :)

lg_anne

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
Ok thank you! I was wondering if I should include aspects on America in the creative or is it ok to solely base it on the war? Thank you :)

bridie_2345

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:03 am »
Hey there was just wondering if anyone else is doing Nevil Shute's 'On the Beach' as a related text for after the bomb?
if so i was just wondering if you had some in depth ideas about how it links to the after the bomb period?
thanks heaps!

michelleh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 07:41:35 pm »
Hey guys!

Been trying to find some Ext 1 ATB past paper questions but only found a few from 2009 - 2015... I was wondering if anyone has any unique and different essay and creative stimulus? I'd appreciate it so much! :)

Thanks everyone! Keep pushing through! :)