Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:31:17 pm

Author Topic: Should I do 3/4 Environmental Science??  (Read 5956 times)  Share 

dapperduck

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: ---
Should I do 3/4 Environmental Science??
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:05:19 am »
Hey guys, I'm currently in YR 10, at the stage where I need to decide my subjects for next year.
For my accelerated subject, I've been thinking of doing Environmental Science 3/4.
Some of my Q's are:
- Can I easily jump straight into 3/4 without doing 1/2?
- Is enviro an easy subject to get a raw mark of 45+?
- Would you guys prefer bio or enviro? And why?

16whittend

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Notre Dame College Shepparton VIC
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Should I do 3/4 Environmental Science??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:55:07 am »
I'm 3/4 without 1/2. You'll be fine. You will need background knowledge of the atmosphere in relation to the greenhouse effect(s).

45+? It's hard to tell. There is less than 1000 kids in the state that do it. In 2015, there were less than 700. This means it's harder to get such a high score, because everyone will be getting high marks throughout the year.

As for biology or enviro, it really depends what you enjoy more. Biology is really content heavy but it's so much more interesting (imo). Enviro isn't as heavy in the content, unit 3 is good, but some (most) of the unit 4 content is super bland!

I've found that while my teacher cares about his class doing well, we all find it very hard to keep motivated for the exam, so the teacher is also a big factor.

If you're going to fast track one of the two, I'd choose biology. It's much easier to have environmental science in year 12 rather than biology, if you choose to do so.

Good luck with your studies :)

alastair.98

• Adventurer
Re: Should I do 3/4 Environmental Science??
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:25:00 pm »
I completely agree with 16whittend,
I did both Environmental science and Biology 3+4 this year, Biology is much more content heavy than environmental science.
I personally found Biology to be more interesting because all the content is science and the AoS's can be related to, e.g. nervous system, immunity. Unit 3 of environmental science mostly covers science e.g. energy, global warming however unit 4 is more environmental management which can be quite dull.
There wouldn't be any problems in jumping into Enviro 3+4 without 1+2 as there is very little required knowledge and the course is quite different between the units.
Goodluck
2015: Further [43}, Revolutions [34)