Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:31 pm

Author Topic: Biomedical Science + Equity Scholarship  (Read 4935 times)  Share 

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Biomedical Science + Equity Scholarship
« on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:21 pm »
Bit of a long shot considering there seem to be no posts on this, but does anybody have any experience with the Biomedical Science Extension Program? It's something I am interested in. I know spots are likely quite competitive (10 places per year), but wish to try anyway, and was wondering if somebody could give me an inkling of their experience.

Cheers.

Edit: Oh, I do have one more thing. Monash has stated that one must apply for an equity scholarship after they've enrolled in the program. Due to other issues, I am not in a position to work right now, and when I do start again in a few months, most of my money will go to other things, such as rent and food and whatnot, so if I do not receive a scholarship, I will not continue with the program. So, my question is, if I choose to drop out at such a time (that is, before classes start, but after offers are accepted), will they offer my spot to another, or will it be wasted? If it's the latter, I think it'd be selfish of me to try and secure an offer in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:41:07 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomedical Science + Equity Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:25:50 am »
+1
Hey I haven't done MUEP - biomedical science but did MUEP - Chemistry. I don't think there is a maximum of 10 places IIRC unless things have change, but this may be due to it not being one of the popular subjects for extension students i.e around 50 people did Chemistry this year. I wouldn't be too worried about not being selected, if you fit all the criteria and you have decent grades you will more than likely be offered a place.They say a 41+ in biology I think but I know people who got into extension programs with mid to high 30's.

Good luck

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:08:25 am »
+2
Bit of a long shot considering there seem to be no posts on this, but does anybody have any experience with the Biomedical Science Extension Program? It's something I am interested in. I know spots are likely quite competitive (10 places per year), but wish to try anyway, and was wondering if somebody could give me an inkling of their experience.

Cheers.

Edit: Oh, I do have one more thing. Monash has stated that one must apply for an equity scholarship after they've enrolled in the program. Due to other issues, I am not in a position to work right now, and when I do start again in a few months, most of my money will go to other things, such as rent and food and whatnot, so if I do not receive a scholarship, I will not continue with the program. So, my question is, if I choose to drop out at such a time (that is, before classes start, but after offers are accepted), will they offer my spot to another, or will it be wasted? If it's the latter, I think it'd be selfish of me to try and secure an offer in the first place.
Hey Calebark, as Sine said you don't necessarily need a 40+ to get into extension program, and in most cases you don't even have to have done the VCE equivalent in the previous year (i.e. for chem, physics, maths etc). So the spots aren't too competetive. As for biomedical science and many other extension units, especially at Monash, it's mostly the JMSS students. Also unaware of the 10 places thing.

As for biomedical science, it isn't that popular, you'll most likely get in. However, saying that, I think the units you do are BMS1021 and BMS1052. BMS1021 is very manageable and the equivalent of BIO1022. But BMS1052 (human neurobiology) is pretty difficult and you'll need to keep on top  :'( Saying that 1052 is a very interesting subject.

I have a few friends that did biomed extension program in year 12, and they said they liked it. Not to mention, it provides a good segway into uni life and also allows you to accelerate and do two second year units alongside your other first year subjects (to replace the two units that you've already done) if you decide to do Biomed.

As for your dilemma, if you started the first few months and then dropped out of the program, I don't think they'd offer your spot away. But, there's like actually very few that actually do extension MUEP BMS program due to like... well.. it's hard to do in year 12 and you have to keep on top. If you're trying to get into medicine, I would advise you maybe to avoid extension biomed or biology, and go with something like chemistry, physics or maths. This is because in uni you'll most likely dedicate more time to your biomed unit than in your final year of VCE so you'll probably score better then.

If you do wanna do it though, you should apply and you'll most likely get in.

Good luck,
HT
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:50:21 am »

I just double-checked, and it is indeed limited to 10 places, as stated on page 3. I am somewhat pleased that it isn't over competitive though, as I imagined it would.

About an hour ago, I was absolutely adamant on doing something Biology related as a Uni Extension, purely because I absolutely love Biology, and don't want to miss it for a year. However,  per HighTide's suggestion, I looked at the Chemistry extension, and holy-shit-my-low-achieving-public-school-is-one-of-the-study-locations, which is a shock, and has certainly gotten me to consider that as an extension instead, as it is logistically much easier. Again, however, I don't want to miss out on Biology, so I will think for a bit.

Thanks guys.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Mellyboo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:17 pm »

Cheers.

Hey wow! You sound like exactly the same position as I was this year. I live on my own away from my parents so I also had to work to pay rent and food etc. I just explained to them my position in the scholarship and then I also said what you have already said 'I can't continue with the program if I am not offered a bursary, I cannot afford the x amount per semester" and they accepted my application pretty much immediately. Also, yes I applied for the bursary AFTER I was accepted into MUEP. Hope this helps
2016 ATAR: 98.40
Successful ASPIRE applicant
Chem [44] Bio [41] HHD [41] Further [43] EAL [46] MUEP Chem [4.5] Lab skills [42]
2017-2021: Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dentistry/Master of Dentistry @ La Trobe Bendigo