Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:18:10 am

Author Topic: Latin Unseens and 2017 Latin in general.  (Read 8076 times)  Share 

Roryr99

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Latin Unseens and 2017 Latin in general.
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:05:09 am »
Hi guys,

I am doing 3/4 latin by distance education in 2017 for my year 12. I started latin in year 9 so am worrying a heap about latin this year. My mate told me that latin by distance education is really bad, so that isn't helping my worries at all. Also i have heard that you receive little resources. Therefore over the holidays and into next year I was wondering whether anyone had any unseens they could put onto this thread please ;D ;D ;D ;D? Additionally are there any quality books or websites that i should buy that have vce latin style unseens? Also because I am doing book 8 of the Aeneid this year does anyone have any notes or essays they are willing to share with me please?

My mate (mentioned above) is wondering how had it is to get a 40+ in latin and what marks he would have have to receive on the exam and throughout the year?

Thank-you very much in anticipation.

Rory :) :)

Monkeymafia

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Latin Unseens and 2017 Latin in general.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »
Hi guys,

I am doing 3/4 latin by distance education in 2017 for my year 12. I started latin in year 9 so am worrying a heap about latin this year. My mate told me that latin by distance education is really bad, so that isn't helping my worries at all. Also i have heard that you receive little resources. Therefore over the holidays and into next year I was wondering whether anyone had any unseens they could put onto this thread please ;D ;D ;D ;D? Additionally are there any quality books or websites that i should buy that have vce latin style unseens? Also because I am doing book 8 of the Aeneid this year does anyone have any notes or essays they are willing to share with me please?

My mate (mentioned above) is wondering how had it is to get a 40+ in latin and what marks he would have have to receive on the exam and throughout the year?

I did Latin in year 8 and half way through year 9 then quit. If you are finding Latin hard then I suggest you find tutoring with someone who has done Latin 3/4 or is a teacher.

At my school (although I am not doing Latin), the books are:

Latin Language - a handbook for students [scottish]

Cassel's standard Latin/ English dictionary (thumb-indexed) [simpson]

Aeneid (penguin classics deluxe edition) [Virgil]

Livy: Book 1 (Ed. Gould and Whitely) [Livy]

Virgil: Aeneid VII and VIII [C J Fordyce]

In terms of websites for translation use William Withakers Words (think that's how you spell it). Don't have any notes or anything cause I am not continuing Latin in year 10 (sorry). Can't comment on how hard it is because Im not continuing Latin, but the 2 duces of haileybury college and haileybury girls college both got 42 for Latin (probably scales but not too sure).

Good luck and if u want to get in touch with my previous Latin teacher let me know (pm me)!

Enjoy your holidays
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:03:11 pm by Monkeymafia »

readothien

• Adventurer
Re: Latin Unseens and 2017 Latin in general.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »
Hi Roryr99 :)
Omg finally found someone else doing Latin 3/4 by distance ed next year! I was beginning to think there was no one else on here.
I'm in nearly the same boat as you, going into year 12 and finishing Latin but I only started in year 10, so I feel even more at a disadvantage :) but we can totally overcome history and score above 40 by distance!

As for books, there is this one book called 'Latin Unseen Translations' that I think looks quite useful. Considering how big a component the unseen translation is to the end of year exam and how strictly it is marked, it looks as though this book would be beneficial :)

Good luck next year!
2016: Methods [41]
2017: Eng Lang, Spec, Chem, Latin, Acc

Dream: Undergrad Med @ Monash :)

Ashyyy23

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:54:28 pm »
Hi guys,

I too am doing distance ed and am really apprehensive about how it will turn out- it's been weird navigating the course!!

Wondering if there were more specifics on that Latin Unseen Translations book as I'd really like to buy it.

Also, has anyone been notified of any Latin lectures or ATAR notes/other companies study guides for the subject- they are so hard to come by!

We can do this guys, God Bless :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:03:12 pm »
Hi guys,

The bad news is that it is insanely difficult to get over 40 raw in Latin. The good news is that you don't need a raw score of over 40 to do well. Even a raw 30 scales up to 46 which is really good. It's hard to say what marks you need to get on the exam to get 40+. My brother got 74% and got 37 since they mark the exam incredibly harshly so you should just aim to get in as much practice as possible. I'm sure it's very possible to do very well at Latin by distance but you just need to be willing to put in the effort, do plenty of practice unseens, and understand the text very well.
UAdel MBBS

Elucidator

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:14:28 am »
+1
I've tutored students doing both Distance Ed and students who do Latin through their school, and I'd honestly say that Distance Ed students are relatively disadvantaged, especially in Units 3/4. The reason for this (in my opinion) is not necessarily because of the unseens (although Distance Ed doesn't provide a lot, to my ire), but because of the lack of a classroom setting for Semester 2 (Unit 4). Classroom discussion is vital for understanding the Themes/Lit Techs of The Aeneid, and without the ability to have dedicated class time used to discuss ideas and have teacher input, I believe it's incredibly hard for students to grasp a solid understanding of the text needed for high scores on the exam.

Think about it like approaching a VCE English or Literature exam - without a teacher to guide you, how confident do you feel analysing the text to the depth which is exemplified in the Examiner's reports? The Themes essay (20% of the mark) unfortunately requires an inside-out familiarity of not just the story and context of the Aeneid, but also challenges students to ruminate on the overarching implications of Virgil's poem.

This is not meant to scare people doing Distance Ed - there have been numerous people who have succeeded (achieved raw scores of 40+) through Distance Ed, it will just require concerted effort. Unseens can be somewhat "sourced" by finding (google?) the stories of Caesar, Livy, Suetonius, etc.

In terms of scores, like other posters have mentioned, Latin is quite infamous for its scaling, so I would not be worried too much about the scores, but more about how you approach the subject. Hope this helped, and good luck!
Raw Study Scores
2015: Latin [46]

2016-2020: MBBS at Monash University

ATAR: 99.85