Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:27 pm

Author Topic: Dropping Physics for Extension study?  (Read 1443 times)  Share 

boysenberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Dropping Physics for Extension study?
« on: September 18, 2009, 12:47:01 am »
Hey, I'm interested in getting into UMEP Biology.

The subjects that I currently do are:

English
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematical Methods CAS
General Mathematics Advanced

However, I'd really like to drop Physics for UMEP Biology if I can as it is my weakest subject and the one that I find the least interesting. It will also be the most time consuming subject if I continue it next year as our current Physics teacher hasn't taught the subject properly and it's pretty much self-directed study that's been happening. All of this while my teacher goes on her lap-top! As a result our cohort next year for Physics will also be relatively weak.

I got a B+ for my mid-year exam and I'm probably averaging in SAC rankings/marks at the moment. I believe B+ was the highest grade received by anyone in the very same mid-year exam in my cohort for this subject. My cohort for year 12 Biology is approximately, 15 - 20 students. Due to my poor performance in my mid-year exam and my presumably average SAC ranking in a weak cohort, I am thinking of repeating year 12 Biology, though this time through distance education. Since I have done it this year, all that would be required is regular revision and lots of practice exams. (This year I only managed to do about eight practice exams as I did not know where to get them and unlike most schools my school does not have practice exams in our intranet). Anyway, I would spend the least amount of time on this subject if I were to choose to repeat it. Doing UMEP Biology will also help with this other Biology.

I realize that to get into UMEP Biology I would need to get a Study Score that is the equivalent to an A/A+, so I'm not sure if I'm still eligible for it. Actually, I'm not too sure about this A/A+ requirement, as I've lost the link where it said so. According to VCAA, to do an extension study you must achieve a Study Score of at least 41 in the prerequisite study, so this would mean that applicants who got a Study Score that is the equivalent to an A wouldn't get in, right? So, yeah, I'm a bit confused about this part, there seems to be quite a bit of contradiction going on. But how strict is the UoM when it comes to this? Are they lenient? Is there a limit to the number of people who can do a UMEP subject?

I also didn't get a good semester 1 school report, so MUEP Biology is probably out of consideration. It is also quite far to travel from where I live I think. I also don't know that much about the extension study offered by Victoria University as well as its quality or even how to apply. What should I do?

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: Dropping Physics for Extension study?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »
According to VCAA, to do an extension study you must achieve a Study Score of at least 41 in the prerequisite study

WAIT, WHAT? I highly doubt I'm going to get 40+ in Biology (my only 3/4) this year, but that's not my prerequisite so hopefully it won't affect me too much.

But yeah, I'm in a similar situation as well. I plan on doing UMEP Psychology because I have a ridiculous amount of interest in the subject. I also want to drop Physics because I'm bored by it and the year 12 teacher has a horrible record and I can tell my cohort will be weak.

I'm pretty sure there's no limit to the people who can do UMEP, especially Biology. You should just apply anyway and see if you get in. There's no harm in trying. As far as leniency goes, I know MUEP isn't as strict as UMEP. But even if you don't get the required mark, you could probably still get in. Just make sure your teacher writes you a very, very good recommendation and to write a convincing reason about why you want to do it.

I don't know whether you should repeat 3/4 Biology. I guess if you really feel that you could do much better and it won't add too much of a workload, then by all means, go ahead. But see what study score you get first. It might surprise you.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne