Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:51 am

Author Topic: Should I do French without unit 1?  (Read 2733 times)  Share 

pm123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Should I do French without unit 1?
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »
Hi, just wanted to ask a quick question to anyone who is willing to answer.
I was wondering if its possible to begin unit 2 french without doing unit 1 at school? I was thinking to replace it with bio as idk why but I started missing the language. I had been doing french since year 7 (and even went to Nouvelle Caledonie), however dropped it at the start of this year. Also, I am also doing Hindi as LOTE as well. Do you think doing two languages would be too much? I just feel like French is much more rewarding than bio and I feel like sometimes I put in too much effort into bio. If I put the same or even more effort into French it could benefit me. Its not that I don't like the subject, I find it quite interesting. But in terms of getting the best atar I can, what should I do?
Thanks for the help
2017 - Accounting (47)
2018 - English (43) | Methods (36) | Hindi (45) | Chemistry (42)| Further (47)| UMAT (91 percentile) | ATAR (‘18): 99.05
PM for Tutoring Details 2019!!
2019-2023: Monash University; Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine (MD)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Should I do French without unit 1?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:41:30 pm »
I was wondering if its possible to begin unit 2 french without doing unit 1 at school? I was thinking to replace it with bio as idk why but I started missing the language. I had been doing french since year 7 (and even went to Nouvelle Caledonie), however dropped it at the start of this year. Also, I am also doing Hindi as LOTE as well. Do you think doing two languages would be too much? I just feel like French is much more rewarding than bio and I feel like sometimes I put in too much effort into bio. If I put the same or even more effort into French it could benefit me. Its not that I don't like the subject, I find it quite interesting. But in terms of getting the best atar I can, what should I do?
Thanks for the help
Thanks for the help
If your French is at a decent level then you could probably pick it up at the moment?

In terms of what's best... whatever you like more is usually the best option. Knowing that you're "behind" in French might just motivate you to study really well over the next 18 months!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

pm123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »
If your French is at a decent level then you could probably pick it up at the moment?

In terms of what's best... whatever you like more is usually the best option. Knowing that you're "behind" in French might just motivate you to study really well over the next 18 months!

Ah thanks for the prompt reply. Do you think two languages would be too much for yr 12?
2017 - Accounting (47)
2018 - English (43) | Methods (36) | Hindi (45) | Chemistry (42)| Further (47)| UMAT (91 percentile) | ATAR (‘18): 99.05
PM for Tutoring Details 2019!!
2019-2023: Monash University; Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine (MD)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:33:14 am »
+1
Ah thanks for the prompt reply. Do you think two languages would be too much for yr 12?
Depends on your work ethic, other subjects, and ability to prioritise. No doubt it would become quite hectic when it came to the detailed study for your languages - it takes a lot of time and effort for just one language, let alone two! But it's doable - you wouldn't be the first person in VCE LOTE history to do two languages :)

Also it depends on how French is taught at your school, but I personally feel from my experience of doing French in VCE that as long as you're a competent French student, you could handle not doing unit 1 and pick it up in unit 2, as long as you have your basics down pat + the subjunctive, etc. I'd say the big jump in ability comes in year 12, not year 11 :)

In terms of whether to do French or Bio - pick the one you enjoy the most! If you don't enjoy a subject, it can really kill your motivation to do well and can definitely affect your results at the end of the year. My philosophy for picking subjects is - pick ones that you enjoy and are good at, then worry about how you can score your best with those subjects, rather than choosing subjects that will theoretically get you a higher ATAR. I can't emphasise enough how important it is to not just pick subjects based on how they scale!! You can also consider how useful a subject will be to you - for example, have you thought about what you'd be interested in doing outside of school? If it's health related, maybe you would consider keeping bio (can attest that VCE Bio has helped me in my course). If maybe you were thinking about working overseas, or maybe doing international relations or something like that, then maybe French would be the better bet.

I think it's wise for you to have a chat with your VCE/careers coordinator if at all possible :) Good luck!

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:07:39 pm »
Thanks for the help
Like everyone else is saying, if you enjoy French and your French is at a decent level, then I see no reason why you shouldn't pick up French without unit 1. Note that in year 12, things will get really hectic around exam time, because of oral exams, so you have work consistently throughout the year. Doing 2 languages will make year 12 really busy and will give you heaps of work to do, but if you work efficiently and organise your time properly, then this won't matter. Ultimately, it's your decision and you should choose what you think is best.