Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:01:54 am

Author Topic: Driving and Restraining Forces  (Read 4331 times)  Share 

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Driving and Restraining Forces
« on: July 08, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »
Could someone explain to me exactly how each driving force (management, employees, legislation, globalisation, technology, innovation, societal attitudes, competitors, pursuit of-profit and reduction of costs) actually contributes to change within a business? My school's power points only really focuses on the definitions of each and not how they produce change. Also the same for restraining forces (management, employees, legislation, organisational inertia, time and financial considerations), but obviously how these inhibit change from occurring.

kbanks

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
Re: Driving and Restraining Forces
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:21:41 am »
+2
Could someone explain to me exactly how each driving force (management, employees, legislation, globalisation, technology, innovation, societal attitudes, competitors, pursuit of-profit and reduction of costs) actually contributes to change within a business? My school's power points only really focuses on the definitions of each and not how they produce change. Also the same for restraining forces (management, employees, legislation, organisational inertia, time and financial considerations), but obviously how these inhibit change from occurring.

Hey :)

The way that driving and restraining forces work will differ from business to business and from case study to case study, so there is no one way that something can push for, or inhibit, a change, that will relate to every example.

For example, management and employees might be a restraining force for a change because they don't want it to happen, but the reason that they don't want it to happen will differ depending on the case study you are given (e.g. are the employees afraid they will lose their jobs, or are they just too lazy to assist in implementing the change?)
It's a similar line of thought with societal attitudes or legislation - they can be a driving force for a change, but HOW they are, will depend on the attitude, or the legislation. Legislation is generally a driving force for a change because they are placing new restrictions on a business, or forcing a business to do something, such as carbon emissions legislation forcing a business to reduce their carbon emissions, and therefore being a driving force for change. A societal attitude can push for a change in a business because the business doesn't want to lose profit or reduce their market share, but exactly how they are pushing for change or what change they are pushing for will differ slightly depending on the situation - a good example of a societal attitude being a driving force for change is the 'healthy range' at McDonalds, arguably being a result of our more health conscious society.

If there's a particular driving or restraining force that you don't understand at all, or can't see how it would ever push for, or push against, a change, feel free to reply again here and I'll try and give you some more information, however just keep in mind this isn't an area you can really rote learn, because driving and restraining forces for change are circumstantial, depending on the business itself.

Karly :)