Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:29:44 pm

Author Topic: revision advice  (Read 1293 times)  Share 

• Forum Regular
  • ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
  • Respect: +12
revision advice
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:01 pm »
+1
hi i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to effectively revise for literature. its an odd subject because writing notes or spamming textbooks questions isn't really effective so i was hoping someone could give me a place to start :D and also, would it be wise to revise all five texts equally, or to just pick two of my favourite (one for part a and one for part b) and just revise those in depth? my teacher is against just revising two texts but i don't think i'll have enough time to revise all five in depth  :-*

thank you!

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
Re: revision advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:20 pm »
+3
pick your texts and write essays tbh. or at least cut them down from five? i don't see the point of revising multiple when you're only going to be able to write on one in the exam, but i suppose if your teacher has a good reason for that advice ... ? idk.

if you don't want to write essays, you could:
– annotate your texts
– get essay questions and write up plans for them
– build a wordbank (the words in the high scoring essays in the exam reports are sO pretentious but so good omg) and try and use it the next time you're writing
– analyse a close analysis passage super in depth
– and then try and write on that specifically (i went to the lecture lauren did last week and this < ^ advice is shamelessly stolen from her ooops but i love it a lot okay. tried it and can confirm it makes figuring out how close analysis actually coherently works heaps less stressful.)
– critical material is always great to read, even for close analysis, because they're good at understanding nuances in the text. obviously you still want your own opinion but this can kind of inform it if that makes sense?
– do another read of your texts while you're at it tbh. bonus points if you do it with chocolate!

also, i'm curious: do you know why your teacher's against revising two texts? (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

Sam M

• Forum Regular
  • :)
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
+2
I'm guessing your teacher wants you to revise all five texts to give you flexibility in being able to choose which passages/essay prompts you like best on the exam?
However tbh I'd revise two in depth and ignore the rest. e.g. The novel I did for the literary perspectives SAC is what I'm going to do for that section of the exam. Also we were told to choose between a play/poetry for the passage analysis (even though we are doing the play for the passage analysis SAC) because some people could find it easier to analyse language in poetry. Whatever suits you.
Honestly I think knowing two texts in super deep depth is better than having the option to choose which text to write essays on based on the prompt come exam day.
It just comes done to which text you think you could do the best in/have already done in sacs for each section of the exam and learning it in depth so that even if the prompt is difficult, you can still go well in it.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [49], Literature, Methods, Biology, Revolutions [50].
Atar: 98.85

• Forum Regular
  • ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
pick your texts and write essays tbh. or at least cut them down from five? i don't see the point of revising multiple when you're only going to be able to write on one in the exam, but i suppose if your teacher has a good reason for that advice ... ? idk.

if you don't want to write essays, you could:
– annotate your texts
– get essay questions and write up plans for them
– build a wordbank (the words in the high scoring essays in the exam reports are sO pretentious but so good omg) and try and use it the next time you're writing
– analyse a close analysis passage super in depth
– and then try and write on that specifically (i went to the lecture lauren did last week and this < ^ advice is shamelessly stolen from her ooops but i love it a lot okay. tried it and can confirm it makes figuring out how close analysis actually coherently works heaps less stressful.)
– critical material is always great to read, even for close analysis, because they're good at understanding nuances in the text. obviously you still want your own opinion but this can kind of inform it if that makes sense?
– do another read of your texts while you're at it tbh. bonus points if you do it with chocolate!

also, i'm curious: do you know why your teacher's against revising two texts? (:

my teacher is against it because she looked through the sample exam and saw that some section a prompts were very specific and is kinda worried that we won't be able to address them. she's just very cautious and doesn't want us caught out by having no backups, which i understand but also probably don't have time for so i'll probably just end up doing what you guys are doing and focus on 2 texts. thanks for the advice !!