Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:49 pm

Author Topic: VCE Theatre studies vs drama difference  (Read 5891 times)  Share 

Dapuccino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
VCE Theatre studies vs drama difference
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:23:59 pm »
What's the main differences between the two subjects: theatre studies and drama?
Do they both involve practical work?

Thank you

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
Re: VCE Theatre studies vs drama difference
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:55:21 pm »
+5
someone can correct me if i'm wrong...

yes, both have practical components to it. Iirc, Theatre is more "technical" and Drama more like you can sort of pick yourself.
Basically what I mean is that Theatre Studies involves you taking off monologues and scripts from the syllabus whereas in Drama you can write it yourself.
Theatre Studies also focuses more on stagecraft whereas Drama is more about non-naturalistic performance techniques (actually Drama does have questions about stagecraft too).
Theatre Studies also involves a folio.
With the solo performance exam, Theatre Studies involves performing off a script (from the syllabus) but you apply stagecraft techniques (acting + direction OR design)
Whereas with Drama, you write your own script (based on a topic choice from the syllabus, changes each year)
Both also involve watching a professional performance and you have to answer questions about it. Obviously they're not about narrative/plot but rather technique

so yeah, both also have written components too.

hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:56:58 pm by strawberries »
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Dapuccino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
Re: VCE Theatre studies vs drama difference
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:00 pm »
Thank you for your help! :)

If anyone would like to add additional info, that would be wonderful!