Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:13 pm

Author Topic: Uni Math or five subjects?  (Read 5941 times)  Share 

alsheriff

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Uni Math or five subjects?
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:22:03 pm »

I'm currently doing spesh, methods, physics, english, global politics and software development.

I'm dropping global next year, and have the option of choosing a bunch of subjects I don't like, uni math or just do 5 subjects.
My grades for both math have been rather consistently high. I'm not sure if uni math will be too hard, so I need some advice.
Also, will a sixth subject be useful for my atar, or should I just do 5?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Uni Math or five subjects?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:33:28 pm »
+2
I'm currently doing spesh, methods, physics, english, global politics and software development.

I'm dropping global next year, and have the option of choosing a bunch of subjects I don't like, uni math or just do 5 subjects.
My grades for both math have been rather consistently high. I'm not sure if uni math will be too hard, so I need some advice.
Also, will a sixth subject be useful for my atar, or should I just do 5?

Any advice would be appreciated
depends how high you are aiming. A 6th subject even worth 3-4 points is definitely helpful at the top end.

I did a uni extension subject in yr 12 (Chemistry) but was also thinking about maths. I ended up doing 2 maths subjects as electives this year, in sem 1 the "equivalent" of "uni maths" and a 2nd year subject this semester.

I personally found uni maths to be significantly easier than high school maths (in terms of how much effort is requried to get to the high end), I think methods/spec are better indicates of how "good" you are at maths inherently/how good your foundation is/exam luck but at uni it's more about how much effort you put in/how careful you are and how you utilise your resources. From friends who have done uni maths apparently a 4.0 (70-79 average) is v.easy to get, if you are decent at methods/spec, 4.5 (80-89 average) you need to put some effort in and 5.0 usually not worth the effort but still very achievable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:39:40 pm by Sine »

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
+1
Uni math + 5 is probably a good combo. especially if the course you are looking at requires uni math. usually 5 subjects in year 12 is better than 6, but if the 6th is a uni subject it should be okay as its guaranteed to be in your bottom two. I would do uni math + 5 and not kill myself trying to get 80+/5 in uni math

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »
+1
Which university are thinking of doing uni maths at? I'm assuming Sine is speaking from a Monash perspective, but I did did uni maths at UoM, and I would argue that the mathematics used in UMEP is a next level upwards from what you would be used to in methods/spesh. In UMEP, you do one semester of linear algebra, and one semester of calculus, and in my opinion, there is not a lot of significant overlap between these two and VCE mathematics. If you're looking to try out some new (and I might dare say, interesting), I would say go for it! I do agree with Sine in that it is not as 'competitive' in university to get higher marks (which I think may partly be due to marks not being significantly moderated/scaled) - you earn the marks that you earn.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 03:40:24 pm »
+1
Which university are thinking of doing uni maths at? I'm assuming Sine is speaking from a Monash perspective, but I did did uni maths at UoM, and I would argue that the mathematics used in UMEP is a next level upwards from what you would be used to in methods/spesh. In UMEP, you do one semester of linear algebra, and one semester of calculus, and in my opinion, there is not a lot of significant overlap between these two and VCE mathematics. If you're looking to try out some new (and I might dare say, interesting), I would say go for it! I do agree with Sine in that it is not as 'competitive' in university to get higher marks (which I think may partly be due to marks not being significantly moderated/scaled) - you earn the marks that you earn.
definitely uni maths is harder conceptually but it isn't necessary to know the content as well as you would for vce (just from my experience from myself neglecting maths for biomed subjects ahah). :)

Also most people get away with free marks from getting assignments answers from others/past students.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:48:29 pm by Sine »