Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:39:03 am

Author Topic: Media 3/4 noob  (Read 4398 times)  Share 

angelfish

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Media 3/4 noob
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:02 pm »
Hi All

As you know the study design has been updated for 2018-2022. I've done media in year 9 and 10 but I'm accelerating and doing media 3/4 this year. I am a keen media student but doesn't know much about the vce subject itself despite scouring the internet. I really want to get a head start and start doing some brief study. Is there terminology that I should familiarize myself with? Where can i get it? Should I get a tutor? I have the new Heinemann media book, should I just answer questions from there?

Personally I'm not sure whether I should do film or photography? I'm strong in both areas. Does one or the other get you a higher score?

Sorry for asking so many questions
Thanks for your help

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
Re: Media 3/4 noob
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
+2
Hi All

As you know the study design has been updated for 2018-2022. I've done media in year 9 and 10 but I'm accelerating and doing media 3/4 this year. I am a keen media student but doesn't know much about the vce subject itself despite scouring the internet. I really want to get a head start and start doing some brief study. Is there terminology that I should familiarize myself with? Where can i get it? Should I get a tutor? I have the new Heinemann media book, should I just answer questions from there?

Personally I'm not sure whether I should do film or photography? I'm strong in both areas. Does one or the other get you a higher score?

Sorry for asking so many questions
Thanks for your help

Hey angelfish! Welcome to ATARnotes! VCE Media is a great subject choice. I am not too familiar with the new study design but a website I would definitely recommend is http://lessonbucket.com - it has so many fantastic resources and I am sure that it will be updated with info about the new study design. You can also check out the full study design and other resources on VCAA to see the learning outcomes you must achieve and what will be assessed on the exam. Also, the Heinemann media textbook is a great resource because it very clearly outlines what you must know and has some useful definitions that you will need to know for SACs and the exam. Rather than completing questions I would have a flick through the book and create some brief notes on which areas you will be studying and what sort of terminology is used within them. You can also apply some of this terminology to your prescribed texts if your teacher has told you them yet.

I don't think a tutor is necessary for Media but if you know someone who has done well in the subject then by all means have a chat with them.

You could also begin to brainstorm ideas for your SAT, whether that be photography, film, print or radio. A solid idea provides a good basis to your overall folio and final product.

Disclaimer: Whilst I only achieved a 39 in VCE Media, I achieved full marks on all the SACs and on my SAT. The tricky written exam really tripped me up. Feel free to ask me any further questions about Media. I am happy to help.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details