Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:04:22 pm

Author Topic: VCE Literature Questions Thread  (Read 27256 times)  Share 

LanaEvamore

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Literature Questions Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2020, 11:06:41 pm »
 I know this is kind of early to be considering this, but does anyone know what kind of sac scores and exam scores you need to get above a 40 in literature? I've used study score calculators but they seem kind of inaccurate :/

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 12:50:45 pm »
I know this is kind of early to be considering this, but does anyone know what kind of sac scores and exam scores you need to get above a 40 in literature? I've used study score calculators but they seem kind of inaccurate :/

With SACs it's better to look at rankings. Check out your school's historical data and see where your school's 40+'ers in literature were ranked for a rough indication.

As for exam scores, I know someone who got 64/80 and a raw 41 (in 2018). So aim for ~16/20 on all of your essays. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:54:47 pm by colline »

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2020, 02:37:47 pm »
Quite decent SAC scores (depending on your cohort this might be rank 1 or ranks 1-10 etc) + at least an A+ (mid 60s+/80) on the exam should put you in a good position for a 40+ study score.

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2020, 07:13:06 pm »
Hey everyone!
I have a few questions:
1. In close analysis, is it okay to quote from/reference critics? My teacher has suggested that we quote from critical essays on the poems we are studying in our close analysis, but I wanted to confirm this is okay for the exam.
2. For Plath's poetry, I know we're supposed to distance the persona from Plath because they're not necessarily the same. But is it ever okay to discuss how a line could reflect Plath's life or be about her? For example, Lady Lazarus has the line "I am only thirty", which was Plath's age when she wrote that poem. Are we still not allowed to reference the connection between speaker and Plath?

Thanks! :)

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 08:10:37 pm »
+1
Hey!

For your first question, it's not necessary to quote critics for CPA on the exam (though if your teacher said to do it, then definitely make sure to do so in your SACs). You definitely won't lose marks if you do quote critics on the exam though, provided you quote appropriately, of course.

As for your second question, I didn't study Sylvia Plath so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but I think it is perfectly fine! It shows you understand the context and that you are going beyond what is merely written down in the text.

Hope this helps! :)

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 09:22:40 pm »
Hey!

For your first question, it's not necessary to quote critics for CPA on the exam (though if your teacher said to do it, then definitely make sure to do so in your SACs). You definitely won't lose marks if you do quote critics on the exam though, provided you quote appropriately, of course.

As for your second question, I didn't study Sylvia Plath so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but I think it is perfectly fine! It shows you understand the context and that you are going beyond what is merely written down in the text.

Hope this helps! :)

Ok, thank you so much! :)

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »
Hey everyone,
My Northanger Abbey lit perspectives SAC is rapidly approaching and I'm really freaking out about it. I have a very slim grasp of how the readings we've done (on a feminist and Marxist perspective) apply to the text.

I was wondering if anybody had notes/essays for a feminist or Marxist perspective on Northanger Abbey that they could send me - I would appreciate it so much :)

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 01:35:34 pm »
Hi everyone,
With the literature exam fast approaching, I was just wondering if anyone had any high scoring responses (18-20 range) that they are willing to share. I was also wondering what kind of scores the samples in the examination report would have received since the report always says that they aren't the highest scoring responses but those essays are literally amazing. Any help would be greatly appreciated xxx

cinnamonscroll

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 10:19:49 pm »
Hi hi,
Do we need to reference literary reviews in our perspectives SAC and Section A on the exam? I just find it a bit hard to memorize my texts and literary review quotes hehe
Thanks!

justaloser

• Forum Regular
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 10:36:48 pm »
Hi hi,
Do we need to reference literary reviews in our perspectives SAC and Section A on the exam? I just find it a bit hard to memorize my texts and literary review quotes hehe
Thanks!

On section A of the exam, you don't have to. You can make references to existing analyses/perspectives but IIRC my teacher told me they want YOUR analyses, not other peoples', so it's a grey area.

On the perspectives SAC IIRC you have to, try asking your teacher. I think it depends on school? I know mine made it compulsory.

Hi everyone,
With the literature exam fast approaching, I was just wondering if anyone had any high scoring responses (18-20 range) that they are willing to share. I was also wondering what kind of scores the samples in the examination report would have received since the report always says that they aren't the highest scoring responses but those essays are literally amazing. Any help would be greatly appreciated xxx

What texts do you have? I can send some for Heart of Darkness & Sylvia Plath's Ariel.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:40:17 pm by justaloser »
2020-24: Monash Uni MBBS (Bonded)

I don't really go on here anymore. Feel free to DM though

I have no idea about the UCAT percentile required to get an interview/accepted into medicine. Mine was the first year that they used the UCAT. Just try and maximise your ATAR and take care of yourself.

My Med School journal

reneeclydesdale

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2020, 12:17:58 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has extensive annotations, interpretations or close analysis essays surrounding these 7 Emily Dickinson poems? I’ll pay! Message me pleaseee
- Like Rain Sounded till it Curved
- Blazing in Gold and Quenching in Purple
- Narrow Fellow in the Grass
- This is My Letter to the World
- There’s been a Death, in the Opposite House
- There’s something Quieter than Sleep
- To Know just how he Suffered - would be Dear

Cupcake2423

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »
+1
Hi!! I'm not too sure if this thread is still active but i'm looking for some help for my upcoming transformations and adaptations SAC (we're doing it on Northanger Abbey and it's film adaptation) My teacher isn't the best so i have a few questions :(
1. How would i structure my essay, do i need a proper introduction and conclusion? am i have approx 3 body paragraphs each discussing a separate point??
2. What am i trying to do?? As in, am i just comparing what's different and whats the same between the two forms and trying to explain the impact of this? (My teacher also said i should avoid writing like a table tennis match but i'm then not too sure what to do?)
3. Within my body paragraphs, how should i approach comparing the forms?
4. just ANYYY tips for better phrasing of sentences (i find mine can get quite long and confusing because i'm trying to say too much at the same time??)

THANK YOU (i hope this thread is still active HAHA)

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 11:19:54 am »
+1
Hello! Hope this reply isn't too late.

1. How would i structure my essay, do i need a proper introduction and conclusion? am i have approx 3 body paragraphs each discussing a separate point??
Yes you'll need a proper intro and conclusion. There is no rule that you must use 3 body paragraphs and discuss 3 points though.

2. What am i trying to do?? As in, am i just comparing what's different and whats the same between the two forms and trying to explain the impact of this? (My teacher also said i should avoid writing like a table tennis match but i'm then not too sure what to do?)
Essentially yes - consider things like what's different/the same, why was the decision made (context of the time period etc), how is it different (even if something was kept the same, consider how the change from say, a play to a film, can impact the story), and of course zooming out to look at what it says about the broader historical/political/social/economic context of the time period.

3. Within my body paragraphs, how should i approach comparing the forms?
This is such a broad question haha - do you mean how should paragraphs be structured?

4. just ANYYY tips for better phrasing of sentences (i find mine can get quite long and confusing because i'm trying to say too much at the same time??)
Honestly a lot of lit students fall into the trap of trying to make their sentences sound very sophisticated to the point where it doesn't even sound like english anymore. Just keep in mind that you are marked on how effectively you can get your point across, not how well you can memorise a thesaurus. When I wrote practice essays, I generally look at each sentence and ask myself 'does this actually add anything new to my analysis or does it just echo a point I've already made?' - if it doesn't add anything new, I'd delete it.

Also with paragraphs there's no rule that you must put one idea in one paragraph - generally this results in paragraphs being incredibly long and difficult to read, and the main idea can often get lost.

All the best with your SAC!

beccalini

• Adventurer
  • on the horizon of something great ⋆ฺ。*:・
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2022, 12:13:40 am »
Hey y'all - am currently in the middle of choosing subjects for VCE. I'm having the most trouble choosing which English I'll do. Just wanted to start off by saying English is one of my strongest subjects, however, I have no idea which variation to choose.

BUT, here are some of my questions with Literature
1. I'm still not 100% sure of the differences between mainstream English and Literature - is Literature just using fancier novels/poems & words to complete exams and essays or is there a deeper component to it?

2. (Mostly for yr 12s) Was the final exam easier because you only had to write two essays or was it more difficult because you had more things to consider?

3. Why did you choose Literature over mainstream English or English Language?

Thankyou! Bec xx
you're literally doing your best and if no one is proud of you, be proud of yourself xx
* ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2022, 11:34:19 am »
+2
Hey y'all - am currently in the middle of choosing subjects for VCE. I'm having the most trouble choosing which English I'll do. Just wanted to start off by saying English is one of my strongest subjects, however, I have no idea which variation to choose.

BUT, here are some of my questions with Literature
1. I'm still not 100% sure of the differences between mainstream English and Literature - is Literature just using fancier novels/poems & words to complete exams and essays or is there a deeper component to it?

2. (Mostly for yr 12s) Was the final exam easier because you only had to write two essays or was it more difficult because you had more things to consider?

3. Why did you choose Literature over mainstream English or English Language?

Thankyou! Bec xx

Hey Bec! I will try my best to answer some of the questions that you have about Lit as a subject.

1. Mainstream English focuses on a lot of different topics such as argument analysis, oral presentations whereas Lit you are concerned with the thematic values in the texts and the evidence to support your view of the texts. In the exam, Section A is about literary perspectives (lenses) and using this lens to interpret a text whereas Section B is using passages to analyse a text. This is in comparison to mainstream English where you complete language analysis, comparative response and completing an essay based on the prompt required.

2. I haven't sat the final exam yet but for English it is 3 hours - 3 essays and Lit is 2 hours - 2 essays so the ratio is the same. The English exam requires a broader range of techniques that must be applied to each section whereas the Lit exam, based on my experience with prac exams so far, you can use the same analytical tools for both sections. Whilst there is a lot you can write about in the exam, it is more about the depth and nuance you can demonstrate to show your understanding of the book rather than how many points you can write about in the time period.

3. I complete Lit via VSV as only mainstream English is offered at my school and my reasoning was based on the fact that the books that my school chooses for English are... not that great to be honest. Personally I never really considered doing language but I do regret not considering choosing it, but I have not regretted my decision to choose Lit over mainstream English
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics