Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:39:13 am

Author Topic: Writing Lyrically  (Read 1223 times)  Share 

Aaddiittyyaa

• Adventurer
  • How essential is Tin and Chlorine? Pretty Sn Cl.
  • Respect: 0
Writing Lyrically
« on: March 25, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »
Hey everyone!

Throughout the year I have heard many people say that it is beneficial to write in a "lyrical manner" in your Literature essays. I was just wondering what "writing lyrically" actually meant? If it's something that'll improve my writing, I want to get on the bandwagon!

Thanks, and enjoy your weekends!
VCE PHYSICS TUTORING AVAILABLE. RAW 43 (SCALED TO 45). ENQUIRE WITH PM :)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Writing Lyrically
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:50 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!

Throughout the year I have heard many people say that it is beneficial to write in a "lyrical manner" in your Literature essays. I was just wondering what "writing lyrically" actually meant? If it's something that'll improve my writing, I want to get on the bandwagon!

Thanks, and enjoy your weekends!

Hey Aaddiittyyaa!

Writing lyrically (lyrical prose) is just a way of saying "write with eloquent rhythm", like you're speaking but you're writing out your speech. You know how, in the English language, there are pauses and rises and falls in the pattern of speech? Lyrical writing is just using this kind of method (with commas for pauses and words that just seem to meld into each other) in writing. Words and written language that is done well, and can make you feel emotion.
So basically it's just writing really well. :)

Hope this helps! It's a good bandwagon to get on. ^-^
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:40:41 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:55:00 pm »
+2
Aim for clear and succinct expression - no legit teacher or examiner will discount the merit of an essay with clearly-explained, thorough analysis just because it doesn't sound nice. "Lyrical" writing is just a cherry-on-top for most markers as it takes skill and years of practice to execute successfully.

If you're going to try and do it though, don't forget that there's a fine line between beautiful, flow-y prose, and purple prose that is both cringey and tedious to read.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:59:17 pm by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

Aaddiittyyaa

• Adventurer
  • How essential is Tin and Chlorine? Pretty Sn Cl.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:49:23 pm »
Thanks a lot everyone! That really clears it up for me!
VCE PHYSICS TUTORING AVAILABLE. RAW 43 (SCALED TO 45). ENQUIRE WITH PM :)

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:25:53 pm »
+1
It's hard to explain in literal terms, but as with writing lyrics, there is a general similarity in vowel and consonant exaggeration, amount of syllables in each line, leaving enough to be interpreted by the reader and most importantly flowing between each idea and phrase constantly.
As suggested by secretly_a_poet, imagine it as speaking aloud. You don't want to sound overly verbose, describing every minutiae, but you don't want to be too cryptic, jagged and too succinct either. When delivering a great speech, each idea makes sense and leads on from each other whilst also keeping rhythm in how it's expressed.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature