Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:03 pm

Author Topic: STUDY HELP PLEASE - i don't feel like i'm doing enough to do well  (Read 5790 times)  Share 

DipsetForever

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
hey guys im in need of urgent help in regards to retaining the information im learning & study in general. In term one i would say my SAC performance was good and i had no trouble understanding the content (mostly). However, this is how i felt last year with legal studies 3/4 in year 11, i had good SAC marks but ended up with a mediocre study score. I really don't want that to repeat itself with my other subjects this year. After finishing a topic and doing a SAC i feel as if my brain just throws the information i learnt away.
I study three out of my five subjects on a normal school night which usually just consists of making notes, the time on each one depends on the one i feel is the most important at the time. When it comes to the SAC i often just cram in the last few days though i try to prepare as soon as we are told we are having one.

What can i do/fix study wise to make sure that i remember everything i learn this year? Any routines, tricks, tips, fixes that helped you. Thank you.

"if you know whence you came, there is really no limit to where you can go."

- James Baldwin

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: STUDY HELP PLEASE - i don't feel like i'm doing enough to do well
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:07:18 pm »
Hey,
It may help to spend time (perhaps on the weekend) going back over topics you have covered earlier in the year so that you don't forget them or to put posters on your wall so you are constantly reminded of older content.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

DipsetForever

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:42:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply! if you have any advice on how i could study more effectively id love to hear them too
"if you know whence you came, there is really no limit to where you can go."

- James Baldwin

Dictionnaire de la Marche

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:29 am »
+4
In order to study more efficiently and retain information, I would suggest that you adjust your usual methods of study to suit your learning style. As you are probably already aware, there multiple different learning styles, including visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Never underestimate the power of studying to suit the way that your brain is wired! Traditionally, teachers love making their students copy notes of the board and create detailed summary books ect, however, this is not effective for everyone. While this may work for visual learners, this style of learning is just not suited to the auditory or kinesthetic learner. Here are a few study suggestions for each learning style:

Visual: If you are a visual learner, chances are that making colour coded summary notes will work for you. Remember to take the time to repeatedly reread through them before your SAC or exam. In addition, you could also watch graphical videos (i.e. not just close up shots of people taking), print info of the internet and read through and highlight key points, or read your textbook. I myself am a visual learner and have found that anything that involves reading, writing or graphical content (e.g. useful pictures) is the most effective.

Auditory: Auditory learners study best by listening. Methods include; recording yourself reading through a textbook or study notes, then listening to the playback over and over, watching videos that involve talking, or getting a friend to quiz you on your knowledge. Listening to music whilst you study can also aid concentration.

Kinesthetic: Kinesthetic learners learn best by doing. Suggestions include; creating detailed posters or flow charts, making models and diagrams or doing practical experiments (may not be feasible for every subject), and teaching others the content (audience can be real or imaginary!). Also, studies have shown that fidgeting with an object whilst sitting in class can help kinesthetic learners to absorb and retain information.

If you are not sure what learning style suits you best you can take this quick quiz: https://www.how-to-study.com/learning-style-assessment/
Hope this helps you to study more efficiently!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:45:38 am by Dictionnaire de la Marche »