Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 02:41:12 am

Author Topic: Range of texts?  (Read 1031 times)  Share 

caitstar123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Range of texts?
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:40 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to choose my related texts for E1 (we're doing navigating the global) and I just want to make sure that I have a range of texts.

Core texts

-Novel (White Tiger)
-Poems (Levertov's poems)

Related texts I was thinking of doing:

-Picture book
-Documentary
-OR short story

Do you guys think that is a good range? I just don't have a film that's why I'm bit unsure.

Thank you  :)
English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Chemistry | Dance | Modern History |

ATAR goal: 95

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Range of texts?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:11 pm »
+2
Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to choose my related texts for E1 (we're doing navigating the global) and I just want to make sure that I have a range of texts.

Core texts

-Novel (White Tiger)
-Poems (Levertov's poems)

Related texts I was thinking of doing:

-Picture book
-Documentary
-OR short story

Do you guys think that is a good range? I just don't have a film that's why I'm bit unsure.

Thank you  :)

Hey! Can't speak from experience as I studied Romanticism but for EE1 I had 1 poem and 1 novel as my prescribed texts and another poem and another novel as a prescribed - so not much variation. Why? I think it is way more important that you instead make sure you are covering heaps of ways of thinking in each text! Make sure they all don't focus on one aspect of NTG unless they convey contrasting perspectives as you need to be discussing a wide range of ideas! For instance, in Romanticism the paradigms were Individual, Idealism, Imagination and Nature and I made sure I could relate my texts to all four of these plus other ideas too! Hope that helps :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:53 pm »
+2
Hey, there!

I agree with dancingphalanges on making sure your related texts cover a broader scope of paradigms which allow for you to balance your essay's discussion of ways of thinking. This will allow for contrast in your ideas so choose related texts that have great links to your prescribed texts, but also differences that give you enough room to discuss different ways of thinking and how they are explored. Your synthesis will be more sophisticated this way  :D

In saying that, I do think the range of texts you have are equally significant in how your discussion will play out. I have poems and a play for mine so I chose a film as one to demonstrate to the markers that I can also analyse visual texts. I would advise for you to have at least one visual text so the picture book or documentary would work well. A short story could also work nicely but I would definitely encourage a visual text in your related texts choices. Furthermore, as both of your prescribed texts are written, you can distinguish them by using form specific techniques for the poetry (enjambment, rhyme scheme, verse and so forth) to show a broader understanding of literary forms and features. Markers would love to see analyses for form specific techniques because they are often overlooked.

I hope this helps and good luck with choosing! Let us know what you end up deciding on  ;D ;D

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:22 am »
+2
Hey!

I think it's a combination of what is said above.

So, you absolutely need to be covering the ways of thinking adequately through a range of texts. One text on its own isn't going to give you that full scope. In saying this, you should be diversifying your types of texts if it still means you're covering the ways of thinking adequately to show your prowess across different mediums and you're understanding of how different texts are constructed differently. If you only discuss written texts then I think there's a missed opportunity to talk about sound and visual mediums - especially if they're important to the era/topic you're covering.

:)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!