Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:38:04 pm

Author Topic: Want to do Biomed, but didn't accelerate biology. What do I do?  (Read 5582 times)  Share 

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Hi, I'm a Year 10 currently accelerating psychology, and only just found out recently that there's a Monash extension course for Biomedical science, which covers just about all of the topics that I'm personally interested in. Unfortunately, the prerequisite states that by Year 12 I must've already completed Units 3&4 Biology and be doing Chem concurrently to my Year 12 studies.
I am not accelerating Biology right now, but if I had known this extension course was an option, then I obviously would've prepared for it.

I have no idea what to do, but I know for certain that this is the extension course I want to do, and would much prefer it over extended psychology. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this?
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: Want to do Biomed, but didn't accelerate biology. What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:29:45 am »
Could you take 3/4 Bio next year? Or is 1/2 required to do 3/4?

EDIT.
Hmm. looks like 1/2 is needed for Unit 3, at least...
The investigation is to be related to knowledge and skills developed in Areas of Study 1 and/or 2 and is conducted by the student through laboratory work,
fieldwork and/or observational studies.
Source.

Double edit. I can't read.
Triple edit. I actually can. :(
It's late
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:36:51 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:31:47 am »
+1
Could you take 3/4 Bio next year? Or is 1/2 required to do 3/4?
yeah definitely possble

If you want you can do 3/4 biology in year 11 next year. You wouldn't have missed out on too much content. (outside of general biological principles that are constant across all topics).

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:34:30 am »
Lots of people do 3/4 bio without 1/2.  I'd start talking to your school about this asap - if you're lucky you might be allowed to swap into bio for unit 2

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:12 pm »
+1
Agreed that you can do 3/4 without 1/2. After the change of the SD though this has become a little more difficult, because you miss out on pretty important information if you don't do 1/2. Still possible, just less easy than it once was!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

dashnog

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:46:16 am »
+4
UPDATE: I talked with one of the heads at my school, more specifically, the guy who handles all the subject selections. I managed to use my charisma skill of 100 to persuade him to let me. It worked.
Now I just have to get approval from the other two main faculty and make a backup plan in case doing two VCE subjects backfires on me.

2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

occidit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 01:20:22 am »
+1
Just a comment, if you don't get into biomed extension, you can do biology extension, which heavily overlaps with a core biology unit (BMS1021 cells+tissues), making you exempt from doing it at uni. This allows you to do another elective in first year biomed, and also get 'ahead' in your degree as you skip a tricky core unit.

So in this way, doing uni biology can still tie into your degree. Physics may be similar, but you'd need to check that.

The reason I say this is that there are very few spots open for biomed extension, so getting in is quite difficult, and therefore you may want to think of possible back-up plans

Bio, Methods, Glopol, MUEP Bio, Eng Lang, German, Chem, Physics

2018-2022 Bbiomedsciadvhons

dashnog

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 09:40:37 pm »
+2
Welp, lots of things have happened. Made it into Unit 2 Bio. Yay. Also part of the Year 10 Scholar's Program at Monash. I'll keep in mind having Biology as a backup plan.