Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:46:21 pm

Author Topic: Cultural and Contemporary Frameworks  (Read 9141 times)  Share 

thegirlwithenameleyes

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Cultural and Contemporary Frameworks
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »
Hey guys,
My 1/2 Art class just started doing work on Cultural and Contemporary Frameworks in preparation for our exam (which is NEXT WEEK) and I'm really struggling with these more so than with our previous two. Is there anyone who would be willing to maybe explain them or give me some examples? I have to do up notes for my exam but I just don't understand them enough  :-[
Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated!!
~Їски

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Cultural and Contemporary Frameworks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:21:08 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
My 1/2 Art class just started doing work on Cultural and Contemporary Frameworks in preparation for our exam (which is NEXT WEEK) and I'm really struggling with these more so than with our previous two. Is there anyone who would be willing to maybe explain them or give me some examples? I have to do up notes for my exam but I just don't understand them enough  :-[
Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated!!
~Їски

Hey!

I'm assuming that HSC Visual Arts and VCE Arts are similar (would be groundbreaking if they weren't).

So the Cultural Frame(work) refers to how the cultural context of the artist has influenced their work and practice. You can take into account Picasso's Guernica. He discovered the incident through newspapers and black and white photography (limited technology during the time) therefore the work itself is portrayed in black and white. The work was a response to the Spanish Civil War and portrayed the effects of war on innocent civilians (obvious influence of Spanish culture within the work). You can also take into consideration how Picasso uses cubism (apart of the modernism movement as a result of the industrial revolution) and therefore he was able to portray the event in an excruciating, abstract approach, reflecting the thoughts and feelings of the victims. Some other artists that you can look at are Andy Warhol, Marcel Duchamp and Ai Wei Wei.

Meanwhile the Contemporary Frame(work), or also known as the post modern frame here in NSW, is basically how the artist has adapted past influences into their current work. It also refers to how artists uses satire or wit to make a comment about something. For example, Duchamp's 'Fountain' is him just appropriating a porcelain urinal to comment on the Salon's process on determining what can and cannot be deemed as art.

Hope this helps :)

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.