Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 12:43:49 am

Author Topic: VCE Distance Ed geography  (Read 4014 times)  Share 

lou0018

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
VCE Distance Ed geography
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:05:04 pm »
Is it a good idea to do geo 1/2 and 3/4 via distance ed as my school doesn't have it. i am a keen learner but idk if it is worth it because i have heard that a lot of people do not always end up doing well when they do a subject through distance ed. if yes,  any advice for distance ed geo?

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: VCE Distance Ed geography
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:29:08 pm »
+1
I would just like to point out that you don't need to do Geo 1/2 to do Geo 3/4. Geo unit 3 has no prerequisite but you must do Geo 3 to do Geo 4 which I guess makes sense.

I personally haven't done any subject via distance education but I did do an university subject when I was in year 12 and I think doing an uni subject is similar to doing distance ed in the sense that you have to be driven because there is no one there to tell you what to do. You need to be organised and you need to know when to seek help and you need to keep up with your work. For my uni subject if I didn't attend any lecture no one cares, if I am behind with my assignment no one cares, unlike in a classroom situation where the teacher is always on your back and if you are late with your work, you will get caught out. There is no doubt that it does take extra effort tho to work closely with your assigned mentor to make sure that you are on track.

For Geo our school (JMSS) had 2 x 1 week field trips and I guess you would be missing out on that if you were doing it by distance ed, however the field trip basically just reinforced what was taught in class so if did your work diligently then I don't think missing out on that is a big deal.

You would know what sort of a person you are, whether you have the personality to drive yourself etc so I think its really up to you whether distance ed will work for you or not. And I guess it also depends on your reason for doing Geo. If it is just to fill up space or it is really something you desperately want to do in terms of future career etc. Don't let other people dissuade you from doing what you want, other people's opinion is just that, their opinion, and it does not necessarily apply to you. Just like all this stuff I have just said is just my opinion but I hope you find it helpful to help you decide.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »
It might be helpful to have a look at the study design as well if you haven't already :

https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/geography/GeographySD_2016.pdf

lou0018

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:36:15 pm »
It might be helpful to have a look at the study design as well if you haven't already :

https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/geography/GeographySD_2016.pdf
Thank u very much :) :