Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:31:06 pm

Author Topic: What question do i use to write a generic ATB essay?  (Read 1834 times)  Share 

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
What question do i use to write a generic ATB essay?
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:07:55 pm »
+1
Hi!

So i know there's a lot of contention regarding memorising generic essays, but i'm really not confident going into an exam without a mostly memorised essay.

I'm aware extension essay questions can be curveballs, so i'm not sure how to go about writing a generic question, and ensuring that it's neither too broad nor too specific.

For half-yearlies i wrote my essay with the question about "social and political concerns explored during ATB era" and my generic did pretty well. Not sure if i just got lucky that time though (essay q was extremely similar) so i wanted to double check on atar notes before i write my final essay with all 4 texts.

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: What question do i use to write a generic ATB essay?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 09:03:44 pm »
+1
Hey, Lilabear123!

I am also the same in that I need to memorise an essay regardless of how unpredictable a module can be. I think I have a similar fear with Extension 1 because I was thrown a curveball in my half yearlies which has completely shaken me up  :'( I think that you should definitely prepare an essay BUT also do a little more. Look at past papers and see where there have been weird questions. Draw up some essay plans and backup quotes in case we are given an enigma of a question in the HSC. This is the best way to prepare for anything that might come our way and you still have the security of a generic essay to produce. Hope this helps and good luck for your essay!  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:25 pm »
+1
Hey, Lilabear123!

I am also the same in that I need to memorise an essay regardless of how unpredictable a module can be. I think I have a similar fear with Extension 1 because I was thrown a curveball in my half yearlies which has completely shaken me up  :'( I think that you should definitely prepare an essay BUT also do a little more. Look at past papers and see where there have been weird questions. Draw up some essay plans and backup quotes in case we are given an enigma of a question in the HSC. This is the best way to prepare for anything that might come our way and you still have the security of a generic essay to produce. Hope this helps and good luck for your essay!  ;D

Angelina  ;D

Thanks for the tips  :) Best of luck for your exams!

Jasmine Xie

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 03:24:34 pm »
+1
People always tell me rote learning is bad as well but like you,  I also don't feel confident without a general essay. Usually with extension 1, I just kind of Write an essay on how the text reflect after the bomb elements. Worked out for me in the trials so.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:30:29 pm by Jasmine Xie »
2018 HSC - English Advanced | English Ext 1 | English Ext 2 | Economics | Visual Arts | Multimedia | Chinese In Context |
ATAR Goal 90
Final ATAR 2018 - 91.60