Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:49 pm

Author Topic: writing task  (Read 17136 times)  Share 

Capricious

writing task
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 08:42:43 am »
Quote from: "bubble sunglasses"
Nah, didn't get any SOMs. I got 100% for SACs, imagine I lost about 3 marks each on the listening and written comprehension qs. I agree it's stupid that your ability to write in French counts for so little.

I know this is the French forum, but I'm doing Italian (and Japanese but I don't know my SAC scores aside from them all being A+s) and I lost 1.5 marks for SACs and in the practice exams I've been doing I've been losing about the same as you for listening/reading comp. So, do you know if LOTEs are similar across the board in terms of study scores? I think I went fine on my oral exam too.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
writing task
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 08:46:46 am »
well check the scaling report, I think italian might be one of those ones that doesn't scale well because alot of native speakers do it.
Even in terms of raw scores it might differ because of this, whereas french has less native speakers..

..then again i could be totally wrong haha

Capricious

writing task
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 09:42:22 am »
Quote from: "goosefraba"
well check the scaling report, I think italian might be one of those ones that doesn't scale well because alot of native speakers do it.
Even in terms of raw scores it might differ because of this, whereas french has less native speakers..

..then again i could be totally wrong haha

Italian scales about 7, so it's not French's 12 but it's not too bad compared to languages like Arabic, or Indo...hmm I guess I'll just have to be great on the day...thanks :) (p.s I'll upload those lit things as soon as I get access to a scanner =))

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 04:36:53 pm »
Quote from: "droodles"
I'm a year 11 doing french and I got a higher score than the year 12s for the language competition( 2 high distinctions). so lol

of course i did live in france for a month, so i guess it paid off

feel free to join in  :) ..just write your response to the question.
on a toujours besoin de nouveaux gens ici

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
writing task
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:43 pm »
whee im running to seek refuge in the french thread cos i cbf studying for eco, and methods is horrible.

i agree, droodles take a stab at the topic posted on page 1. or we probs should make up a new topic anyway, seeing as we've done the other one. although i may not get it done at the moment seeing as i should be studying for eco/methods (and chem).

but here. have a go anyone! (its stolen from a german exam paper so no french translation haha)

Write the text for a brochure to convince other students to spend a year away from home, at the end of their schooling, to broaden their horizons. Present persuasive information of the many positive aspects of the experience.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 05:46:28 pm »
Quote from: "melanie.dee"

Write the text for a brochure to convince other students to spend a year away from home, at the end of their schooling, to broaden their horizons. Present persuasive information of the many positive aspects of the experience.

I will do this tonight. Hopefully. If I can be bothered haha
I suck at persuasive though

bubble sunglasses

writing task
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
je peux le faire mais je dois ?tudier pour l'?conomie, putain de merde.

putain haha, heard that a lot on my exchange [in Nice]. Apparently it's much ruder in the north.

Had any of you heard of "un truc" 8)   before you went to France?

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 08:32:29 pm »
Quote from: "bubble sunglasses"

putain haha, heard that a lot on my exchange [in Nice]. Apparently it's much ruder in the north.

Had any of you heard of "un truc" 8)   before you went to France?

as in 'a thing'? Yes.
And I learnt 'putain' after I hosted a french exchange student for a month, and she used to say it all the time, and then one day I went to look it up and she was like 'no no don't look it up!' haha very funny

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
writing task
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 08:36:46 pm »
haha oh the swear words i learnt in france. and they tried teaching me verlan haha

and yeh id definitely heard of un truc before i went to france. im pretty sure we learnt it in class or something.

bubble sunglasses

writing task
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 08:42:15 pm »
I'd been exposed to quite a lot of French and had been to France about 12 times before my exchange but, I dunno...in the first few days I was completely mystified as to what this "truc" was :)

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
writing task
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 08:50:48 pm »
i was completely mystified as to what ANYTHING was in my first few days haha. i swear, it didnt matter that i understood a whole lot of words and stuff, i couldnt understand a thing they all spoke so effing fast haha.

does anyone else know any verlan? they use 'relou' a lot.. it comes from 'lourd' which can be a bit like 'penible' in certain cases.

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
writing task
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 08:53:01 pm »
yeah my friend tells me not to say putain cause its very rude and considering shes a girl, she takes more offence to inapporiate language

haha yeh my host sister in france never used to swear. so she was like STOP IT when people used to try teach me swear words haha. i mostly just used to swear in english over tehre anyway, cos it was more impulsive and i felt weird saying putain and merde. but by the end, putain was feeling pretty natural haha. putaaaaaain works really well when your like ohhh fuuuuck haha.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 09:23:55 pm »
i did it -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOYEZ LE MONDE
Par Emlyn Maillard

Vous demandez-vous ce que vous allez faire quand vous aurez fini l??cole? Ne sentez-vous pas du tout pr?tes ? aller ? l?universit? ? la h?te?  En avez-vous marre du travail, des horaires, et des parents? Pourquoi pas prendre une ann?e sabbatique et go?tez de la libert?!

Notre organisation volontaire offre aux jeunes l?occasion de travailler n?importe o? dans le monde.  Les possibilit?s sont illimit?es: vous pouvez apprendre l?anglais aux ?l?ves en Chine, vous occuper des orphelins en Am?rique du Sud, ou m?me travailler avec les moines en l?Inde. Quoique vous fassiez, ce sera une exp?rience unique et de d?fi, mais nous vous assurons, quand vous verrez les sourires des enfants que vous aiderez, elle vaudra la peine.  Faites une diff?rence dans la vie de quelqu?un!  

Quand vous serez ? l??tranger, vous resterez avec une famille d?accueil organis? par nous, ce qui vous permettrez de vous int?grer dans le style de vie du pays.  Il n?y a aucun meilleur moyen de conna?tre un pays, que d?y vivre. Vous deviendrez partie de la famille, et vous verrez de premi?re main la culture du pays. Tout ce dont vous aurez besoin, nous vous fournirons: l?accommodation, l?alimentation, et chaque semaine vous recevrez de l?argent de poche pour votre travail qui suffira pour le co?t de la vie.

C?est une occasion que vous ne pouvez pas rater; vous ferez des amis de toujours, prendrez un peu de repos, et au m?me temps vous aiderez les gens n?cessiteux. Pourquoi pas vous occuper d?autre chose que de vous-m?mes une fois?

Acceptez le d?fi, vous ne le regrettez pas!

260 words
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for some reason i had a feeling india was something like 'les indes' but my dictionary disagreed.

reg

writing task
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 09:32:17 pm »
vous occuper aux orphelins

it looks great, i have to go to bed (9 am exam), but that annoyed me :P:p

fk i see you edited it. vous occuper was right imo, just the aux bit.

edit: but im wrong, see below

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:14 pm »
Quote from: "reg"
vous occuper aux orphelins

it looks great, i have to go to bed (9 am exam), but that annoyed me :P:p

fk i see you edited it. vous occuper was right imo, just the aux bit.

are your suuure? I thought it was 's'occuper de' for 'to look after'?

btw good luck with your exam  :)