Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:41 pm

Author Topic: writing task  (Read 17134 times)  Share 

bec

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
writing task
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2007, 01:56:30 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"
i'm doing another writing task where I have to write a speech about someone who has inspired me, so I need help with a few really lame phrases haha -
to do one's best - this is 'faire de son mieux' or something like that??
to be yourself - ?tre soi-m?me??
to stand up for what you believe in - this obviously won't translate literally..
to strive for knowledge/excellence - ??

i think to strive for would be s'efforcer but only for a verb....so if you want to say "she strives for excellence" you could say like "elle s'efforce d'obtenir la reussite"?  ew that doesn't sound very good translated literally though.

on another note, what do your teachers tell you about writing "cher journal" to start diary entries? because mine says il faut absolument l'ecrire - but other teachers are adament that you should never use it.

26hours to go till freedom

EDIT: sorry! i spelt it wrong...twice. it's [/b] s'efforcer with an r...

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
writing task
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2007, 02:03:33 pm »
my teacher said dont write it. but who knows. i guess it sounds a bit corny, if you can think of a really punchy start, thats probably better.

god iv still done NO study hahahaha im so lazy im just hoping to wing it

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
writing task
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »
Quote from: "bec"

on another note, what do your teachers tell you about writing "cher journal" to start diary entries? because mine says il faut absolument l'ecrire - but other teachers are adament that you should never use it.
[/b]

I use 'cher journal', what else would you use? Why do some teachers think it's bad?

bec

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
writing task
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2007, 02:16:36 pm »
well like i said, teachers seem to be pretty divided but all have pretty strong opinions!
the ones who say you shouldn't, suggest you start with something that you would actually write in a diary, like "la vie est pourrie. pierre m'a quitte, je peux toujours pas le croire!"

...but my teacher says that it doesn't satisfy the "structure" criteria for a diary. meh. i'm so over vce french, i just want it to be french-french and not have to worry about ce qui plairait aux examinateurs...

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
writing task
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2007, 10:13:58 am »
mass cbf doing this exam haha. seriously i just caaant be fucked at aallll. since i did absolutly no study yesterday i said i was gona get up relatively early today and do some but i just got up and well clearly im nott studying haha. shit! what am i doing!