Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:22:57 pm

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1304 times)  Share 

jborn007

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Some questions
« on: November 16, 2018, 07:14:31 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm starting Year 11 in 3 days due to commencement program, and I received my textbooks (Heinemann) for Chemistry and Physics 1/2.
I found that the textbooks, in terms of the size and the number of pages, are huge, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for making notes and summaries, throughout the year, as concise as possible.
Also, I found that the science topics I've been taught this year, is repeated in the textbook eg. Brønsted–Lowry acid–base theory for Chem, and Elastic Energy for Physics, so how important is it to get the foundations right and firm for Chem and Physics 1/2?
Thanks and any help is much appreciated  ;D

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
I'm starting Year 11 in 3 days due to commencement program, and I received my textbooks (Heinemann) for Chemistry and Physics 1/2.
I found that the textbooks, in terms of the size and the number of pages, are huge, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for making notes and summaries, throughout the year, as concise as possible.
Also, I found that the science topics I've been taught this year, is repeated in the textbook eg. Brønsted–Lowry acid–base theory for Chem, and Elastic Energy for Physics, so how important is it to get the foundations right and firm for Chem and Physics 1/2?

The study design is your best friend. VCAA wrote the study design.Your teachers will look at the study design when writing SACs. VCAA will write exams that wil thoroughly be checked to ensure they align with the study design.

Therefore, make your notes according to the study design. Make sure each and every dot point is covered and nothing more. I'd advise splitting your notes into Areas of studies. As you have SACs, make notes on each area of study and keep this in a document. By the end of your last SAC, you will have a perfect set of notes for your exams.

Can't speak about physics but foundations are important in Chemistry.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Meddling

• Forum Regular
  • University of Melbourne
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:47:59 pm »
+1
When i did Physics for VCE, the concepts were really hard to understand because you are usually learning and calculating things that are 'invisible' to your eye such as potential energy, electricity and etc.

To overcome this, it is important to refer back to your textbook for relevent theories to consolidate your class materials, and it is okay if you dont understand it at first. I sometimes had to read multiple times to properly grasp what it was saying.

I was dissapointed with unit 1/2 physics because topics like thermodynamics, electricity and etc were not actually relevant to unit 3/4. So, dont get discouraged from physics if you found them hard. 

I wouldnt really do any preparation for year 11 during the holidays, as i dont think it would help much... because you dont know what topics you will be taught first and so on.

As for the thick textbook, you will certainly get through them all because you will be assigned questions from each chapter. (Ofcourse some topics are less taught than other important topics)

Not too sure for chemistry, have not done it for VCE.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:50:28 pm by Meddling »
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾 - 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬BSc (Human Structure and Function) @ UniMelb
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾⎬⧼BIOL10004⧽⧼BIOL10005⧽⧼CHEM10007⧽⧼CHEM10003⧽⧼PHYC10003⧽⧼PHYC10008⧽⧼UNIB10009⧽⧼MUSI20150⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿⎬⧼ANAT20006⧽⧼PHYS20008⧽⧼BCMB20002⧽⧼MIIM20001⧽⧼MIIM20002⧽⧼SCIE20001⧽⧼EDUC10051⧽⧼CHEM10004⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬⧼ANAT30007⧽⧼ANAT30008⧽⧼NEUR30002⧽⧼NEUR30003⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Breadth⧽TBA-Breadth⧽

jborn007

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »
The study design is your best friend. VCAA wrote the study design.Your teachers will look at the study design when writing SACs. VCAA will write exams that wil thoroughly be checked to ensure they align with the study design.

Therefore, make your notes according to the study design. Make sure each and every dot point is covered and nothing more. I'd advise splitting your notes into Areas of studies. As you have SACs, make notes on each area of study and keep this in a document. By the end of your last SAC, you will have a perfect set of notes for your exams.

Can't speak about physics but foundations are important in Chemistry.
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your help :)
When i did Physics for VCE, the concepts were really hard to understand because you are usually learning and calculating things that are 'invisible' to your eye such as potential energy, electricity and etc.

To overcome this, it is important to refer back to your textbook for relevent theories to consolidate your class materials, and it is okay if you dont understand it at first. I sometimes had to read multiple times to properly grasp what it was saying.

I was dissapointed with unit 1/2 physics because topics like thermodynamics, electricity and etc were not actually relevant to unit 3/4. So, dont get discouraged from physics if you found them hard. 

I wouldnt really do any preparation for year 11 during the holidays, as i dont think it would help much... because you dont know what topics you will be taught first and so on.

As for the thick textbook, you will certainly get through them all because you will be assigned questions from each chapter. (Ofcourse some topics are less taught than other important topics)

Not too sure for chemistry, have not done it for VCE.
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your help :)

Richard Feynman 101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: -12
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:46:23 pm »
Hey guys,

If size makes u scared. Year 12 physics is 420 pages (370 actually work).