Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:06:05 am

Author Topic: Anyone wanting to do UMEP this year??  (Read 1684 times)  Share 

iheartu

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Anyone wanting to do UMEP this year??
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »
So what do they look for the most when it comes to considering applicants? Also, does anyone know round abouts how much it is and how many pplz get in for each subject?

appianway

Re: Anyone wanting to do UMEP this year??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »
I went to the information evening, and I'm pretty sure that they said there's no set quota; rather, you just have to meet the prerequisites. The prerequisites are stated on the UniMelb website, but I think this is what you have to do...

Year 11 subjects related to the UMEP study: A-A+ average
Other year 11 subjects: B+ average
Year 12 subjects studied in year 11: 42+ (although they DID say that you could get in with a 38).

In addition, you often have to study certain subjects at year 12 level when in year 11. If you don't, you generally have to sit a test, although I do know that if you're applying for physics and you haven't studied both methods and physics 3/4 you can get the test waived if you've scored well in the physics olympiad :). I'm not too sure about the other subjects though...

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:18:30 pm »
http://www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/school/aust.html/umep/subjects10

For people who went to the information night: do you know what the fees are for subjects that are held at the Uni?

Most subjects don't really need the 3/4 completed at year 11 and they can be done during year 12 apart from physics, accounting and languages (and probably a few others). Then there's some subjects like Psychology where you need an A average throughout all your year 11 subjects (how lame).

Apart from getting the required marks, there's a teacher recommendation and you have to write a bit on why you want to do the subject.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

appianway

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:45:53 pm »
The program's free next year, but some school centres charge fees.

The prerequisites for languages and physics are a bit tough... so I'm happy that I got out of them :) If you're thinking of going for a LOTE/physics and you won't be around when exam results come out, speak to the university. There's a good chance that you've already completed something equivalent to the test that they'd administer anyway, and it's possible to reschedule any tests.

iheartu

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »
Are the extension classes just for year 12 students or will there be uni students in the class as well....?

appianway

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:35:03 pm »
It depends on the subject. Maths is generally just UMEP (I think it's a UMEP course only), physics is UMEP, biology is UMEP, but other than those, I don't really know too much.