Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:56 pm

Author Topic: I don't know if I should do BM??  (Read 1544 times)  Share 

Sherlock.Holmes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
I don't know if I should do BM??
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:37:00 pm »
Hey y'all,
I'm currently in year 11 doing 6 subjects including BM 1/2. My other subjects for this year is infomatics 3/4, further maths 3/4, physics, methods and english. I don't know if I should do BM because a lot of people take BM as an easy subject and not many focus on it,so I've heard that it scales down a lot because of the whole year level. Please help me someone!

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: I don't know if I should do BM??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:13:56 pm »
+1
Hey y'all,
I'm currently in year 11 doing 6 subjects including BM 1/2. My other subjects for this year is infomatics 3/4, further maths 3/4, physics, methods and english. I don't know if I should do BM because a lot of people take BM as an easy subject and not many focus on it,so I've heard that it scales down a lot because of the whole year level. Please help me someone!

Hey!
You should definitely not do BM because others may not focus on it. In fact, that might be an advantage for you because you can be ranked higher. If you play your cards right, you can be at the top of the cohort (preferably rank 1 or 2) and you wouldn't be affected by your cohort. If you have a genuine interest in BM, then you should continue to do BM. Looking at your subjects, you might even find BM easier to understand and work with.
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »
+1
Hey y'all,

Hey! It's nice to see you around the forums :) Historically, yes, you are correct. Busman is a subject that will generally scale down, however this should not deter you from taking it as a subject. Like any subject, busman takes consistent and sustained effort to receive a 40+ score and if your dedicated enough to the subject, the effect scaling will have on you will be reduced. Whilst the subject itself may be deemed as 'easy' (which in itself is very subjective), this will naturally result in higher competition, with study scores being separated by mere marks (definitely true for 45+ scores).

Don't let your cohort influence your decision. If you decide to focus on the subject and choose to put in an adequate amount of work and revision, you'll have a competitive rank within your cohort (you may even end up receiving rank 1, which is a nice goal to aim for if you want a high study score). All in all, if you have an interest in Busman, I definitely recommend you give it a shot.
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

Sherlock.Holmes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:49 pm »
Hey! It's nice to see you around the forums :) Historically, yes, you are correct. Busman is a subject that will generally scale down, however this should not deter you from taking it as a subject. Like any subject, busman takes consistent and sustained effort to receive a 40+ score and if your dedicated enough to the subject, the effect scaling will have on you will be reduced. Whilst the subject itself may be deemed as 'easy' (which in itself is very subjective), this will naturally result in higher competition, with study scores being separated by mere marks (definitely true for 45+ scores).

Don't let your cohort influence your decision. If you decide to focus on the subject and choose to put in an adequate amount of work and revision, you'll have a competitive rank within your cohort (you may even end up receiving rank 1, which is a nice goal to aim for if you want a high study score). All in all, if you have an interest in Busman, I definitely recommend you give it a shot.

Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely think about it!!

Sherlock.Holmes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:54 pm »
Hey!
You should definitely not do BM because others may not focus on it. In fact, that might be an advantage for you because you can be ranked higher. If you play your cards right, you can be at the top of the cohort (preferably rank 1 or 2) and you wouldn't be affected by your cohort. If you have a genuine interest in BM, then you should continue to do BM. Looking at your subjects, you might even find BM easier to understand and work with.

Thank you for your reply, I'll think about your advice and hopefully make a correction decision!!

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:30 am »

says the one who got 47 for BM
Haha just kidding!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »
Hey y'all,

Yes it does scale down but you shoudnt drop a subject because it gets scaled down

I suggest you continue with business and just ace every SAC and Exam you come across

Doing that you should be able to get a 40+ study score ezyy
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University