Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:31 pm

Author Topic: Marks needed for a high study score  (Read 1670 times)  Share 

Matthew Calabi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Marks needed for a high study score
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:27:32 pm »
Hello, I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm an aspiring Theoretical Physicist. However, in order to study physics at Melbourne University (Or ANU, depending on how things work out) without the financial stress of a student loan, I'm also going for Chancellor's. This obviously means that I'll need an excellent ATAR of 99.90: As of now, my grade average is 97% and in literature, my average lies in the range of the mid-high 90's. What sort of marks (In percentages please) would I need, in order to achieve a raw literature study score of 47-50?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Marks needed for a high study score
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:49:02 pm »
Hello, I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm an aspiring Theoretical Physicist. However, in order to study physics at Melbourne University (Or ANU, depending on how things work out) without the financial stress of a student loan, I'm also going for Chancellor's. This obviously means that I'll need an excellent ATAR of 99.90: As of now, my grade average is 97% and in literature, my average lies in the range of the mid-high 90's. What sort of marks (In percentages please) would I need, in order to achieve a raw literature study score of 47-50?
No one can really say whether any of those percentages is enough for a variety of reasons. One is that we have no idea of the difficulty of those tests and how they will play out in terms of scaling. Another one would be that those are year 11 grades (unless you are doing the 3/4 this year) so have no weight towards study scores - if this is only year 11 it would be redundant to go through any more reasons.

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Marks needed for a high study score
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:41:02 pm »
+1
If you're aiming for 50s/chancellors then you should be aiming for basically full marks in everything, end of story. Note that this doesn't mean that you actually have to have full marks in everything - it just means that that's what you should strive for. If you fall a few points short then you still have the chance to make the cut.

Aim for 100 in everything and a 50 -> fall short -> get 47
Aim for 47 -> fall short -> get a 44, not ideal for an english subject if you want chancellors (certainly not detrimental either though, mind you)

But also don't get too caught up in calculating required scores and stuff, especially in year 11. Just do your best.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)