Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:29:04 am

Author Topic: Legal?  (Read 930 times)  Share 

bicyclebob

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Legal?
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:37:42 pm »
+1
Hi,

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:37:15 am by bicyclebob »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: What would you like to see from your teacher?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:57:37 pm »
Hi,

I am a graduate legal studies teacher in Melbourne's Northern suburbs. I am finding that for U1-2 I can find scope to go into interesting area's and create meaningful discussion. However, my U3 classes consist of going through PPT's filled with content / explaining slides as we go through.

I have VCEdiscussionspace on my FB and saw a post complaining about 'booklets' from external companies? - Is this frowned upon? I figured they were great for additional questions / practise.

My question to current and past students is what do you want to see out of your teacher? and what makes a 'good' teacher?

Thanks!

I don't do legal studies, but my teacher does a similar thing with psych by going through powerpoint slides in class.
However my teachers mood and tone always makes the classroom and students feeling energetic and excited to learn, so I guess try and be interested in the content you are trying to teach ( I'm sure you are, just express it more clearly).

Also practise questions really help, for any subject. One reason why I love psych this year is I always have something I can be doing for it. Our teacher doesn't check homework, she says it our responsibility, but you can definitely tell which kids invest their time doing practise questions and the few that just slack off.

Also relate the content back to real life stuff. Like tell them an anecdote or something (even if it's not true). It helps with consolidating and remembering that information as students can always link back topics to a story.

Genuinely a happy and positive vibe teacher is what I prefer, someone who's interested to teach and help others learn (such as yourself  :))

Happy teaching
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

bicyclebob

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 05:29:46 pm »
+1
I don't do legal studies, but my teacher does a similar thing with psych by going through powerpoint slides in class.
However my teachers mood and tone always makes the classroom and students feeling energetic and excited to learn, so I guess try and be interested in the content you are trying to teach ( I'm sure you are, just express it more clearly).

Also practise questions really help, for any subject. One reason why I love psych this year is I always have something I can be doing for it. Our teacher doesn't check homework, she says it our responsibility, but you can definitely tell which kids invest their time doing practise questions and the few that just slack off.

Also relate the content back to real life stuff. Like tell them an anecdote or something (even if it's not true). It helps with consolidating and remembering that information as students can always link back topics to a story.

Genuinely a happy and positive vibe teacher is what I prefer, someone who's interested to teach and help others learn (such as yourself  :))

Happy teaching

Many thanks! - really appreciate your feedback.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:25:03 pm »
+1

Happy teaching

I don't do legal either but the way that our biology teacher engages us is with heaps of anecdotes. Being able to think about a specific real-world example really helps me to remember the content, and like Ionic Doc said, our class doesn't care whether or not the story is true as it makes the class really interesting.

I absolutely hate sitting through power-points and but I do really appreciate any extra handouts with questions and other materials our teachers make available to us. I think that it depends on what works for individual students. For me, I always do practice questions while the teacher is going through the powerpoint and then go through it in my own time, taking notes at my own pace. Now that I write that, it sounds terrible. Our teacher is fantastic but I know that listening to things said out loud doesn't work for me. I need to read a detailed explanation rather than hear it.

Sounds like it isn't easy making classes engaging as a teacher either. Best of luck!
Laura