Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:19:28 am

Author Topic: Double Language  (Read 7785 times)  Share 

stressedyeareight

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Double Language
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:49 pm »
To those who did double languages how did you perform in VCE? Did scaling work in your favour? What was your raw vs scaled score?  I plan to do both French and Latin.

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
Re: Double Language
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:07:33 pm »
+2
Hello! I'm doing triple LOTEs lmao (Portuguese, Russian, Chinese). Idk about scaling and how it will affect the ATAR as I'm still in year 12, but I really don't think you should take scaling into too much account. LOTEs generally scale more because it's harder to do well in them as the cohort is more competitive.

Out of the 3 LOTEs I'm doing, only Chinese has the scaling you'd expect from a LOTE subject. Russian goes up by 4 and Portuguese barely scales at all. If I had to take a wild guess, I doubt the scaling will actually do much towards my ATAR as it'll be harder to score high on them to begin with.

Btw how are you already choosing your vce subjects in year 8? :o
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

stressedyeareight

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11:38 pm »
I’m actually in Year 9. I made this account last year.
I have a good idea of my strengths, weaknesses and interests meaning I was able to pick most of my VCE subjects.
My options are quite limited as I am horrible at all STEM subjects!
I am definitely going to do French, Latin, Legal and English. The other 2 subjects are still undecided.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:23:12 pm »
I did both Chinese and Japanese SL, however, I discontinued Chinese SL after finishing U1/2 as a Year 10 student, as I didn’t enjoy it, nor did well in it at all. Japanese SL I did all 4 units of and did relatively average in SS-wise (I’m not really a humanities or languages person), but had the better experience in due to genuine interest in the subject*. It did require a lot of effort and time though, but these classes were perhaps one of the most memorable of my high school classes due to the social environment (I had a bunch of friends who did this with me).

While scaling was present (Japanese gets quite a bit, from memory), I’d definitely not choose a subject purely for its scaling, but rather whether you like it and whether you need it at all for course beyond VCE (languages tend not to be prerequisites though). If you’re genuinely interested in French and Latin, then by all means do the double languages. If not, I’d reconsider your reasons for picking these.

* I also have a Japanese minor from uni.

Note: Was typing when Remy and you posted. Will leave this here regardless for the different perspective.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 05:23:33 pm »
+1
It's cool that you have such a firm idea of what you want to do. I was 100% certain on my VCE subjects this time last year (when I was in Year 9), but I completely changed my mind this year when I thought about the subjects that I would genuinely enjoy. Seems as though you love your HUMS, but try not to limit yourself based on your feelings about how you perform in STEM subjects.

If you were not being assessed on your abilities, do you think you might enjoy any STEM subjects?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:54:02 pm »
I’m actually in Year 9. I made this account last year.
I have a good idea of my strengths, weaknesses and interests meaning I was able to pick most of my VCE subjects.
My options are quite limited as I am horrible at all STEM subjects!
I am definitely going to do French, Latin, Legal and English. The other 2 subjects are still undecided.

Hey

You say that you don't perform well in STEM subjects which is perfectly fine.
I recommend you take a look at Psychology. It's not really STEM ( or it is but definitely more enjoyable and easier than all the other STEM subjects imo)

Bus management and HHD are also some great subjects that you may find interesting

All in all, do subjects you reckon you will enjoy.
You'll find that you perform better when you legitimately enjoy the subject

Enjoy year 9 while it lasts  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »
+3
Hi again! I also did triple LOTE (French, Indo, Latin)
As I remember, the raw and scaled scores were
Indo 43 scaled to 47.8
French 45 scaled to 51.9
Latin 35 scaled to 49.63 (!!)
I would have done better in Latin if I hadn't done it with no tutor via distance ed having picked it up in year 10, and even then my scaled score is pretty good.
So worked out well for me  :D If you're good at languages, you definitely benefit from the scaling so it probably is worth taking a LOTE as opposed to another subject. French and Latin definitely complement each other too.
I agree that you might enjoy Psych.
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:36:55 am »
+1
If you are already set on French and Latin, then I’d say go for it. It’ll be worth it, especially if you are doing them because you enjoy them and actually want to learn rather than just for the scaling.

With other subjects, have you thought about doing a math? I relate to not being good at stem subjects — Methods is the only stem subject I’m doing, but it’s a good break from my other LOTE/hums subjects and it also gives me more potential pathways to go into in the future. Like, my goal for uni is international relations at Monash, but with methods, I can also do a double degree in commerce if I want to. Also math can be really useful in the workforce later on so I’d recommend doing at least one math.

Have a think about what you want to go into and see which subjects would go well with that.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

brothanathan

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 12:41:31 am »
+1
To those who did double languages how did you perform in VCE? Did scaling work in your favour? What was your raw vs scaled score?  I plan to do both French and Latin.

If your seriously considering doing double languages I suggest worrying less about scaling but worrying if you've placed enough time each day to practice your language skills. I know a lot of people take Latin as a bludge subject, but usually, subjects that scale high have a high level of competition or difficulty. This is not to discourage you, but language subjects do take a lot of time to study for depending on your current abilities/level.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:43:11 am by brothanathan »