Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:50:37 am

Author Topic: How to improve fluency and expression in essay wring and just in general.  (Read 1799 times)  Share 

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Hi,
In English, just general, i can write essays and answer the prompts, but my teacher always gives me the feedback stating I need to work on expression and fluency.
I am not exactly sure how to improve this and when I ask my teacher, they say it is something they cannot explicitly give tips on how to help.

Thanks (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
+11
Hey, I find that there are a few different ways that people can run into trouble with fluency:
- their sentences are not fluent
- their sentences don't flow from one to the next fluently
- their paragraphs don't flow from one to the next fluently

Tips for the first case:
- Break your sentences apart into smaller fragments
- Increase your vocabulary so you have more options for words
- Learn/review uses of punctuation
- Learn what the components of a sentence are (this is sometimes more useful for EAL students as they are less likely to haveconfident "it feels right"intuition)
- Try to be more concise

Tips for the second case:
- Learn and use a paragraph structuring mnemonic
- Plan the sequence of ideas before writing paragraphs
- Know what the purpose of the paragraph is and check that your sentences stick to that
- Check you don't have the same small ideas spilt across multiple paragraphs

Tips for the third case:
- Practice making essay plans
- Try writing essays where instead of writing full body paragraphs you just do the plan + first and last sentence of each paragraph - this should be much quicker and will still allow you to check the overall flow of ideas
- Check how well your introduction works - if the body paragraphs don't flow well the introduction might not be great either.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post a sample of your writing for more specific feedback :)