Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 05:32:37 am

Author Topic: VCE Literature or English  (Read 1502 times)  Share 

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
VCE Literature or English
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:58:59 pm »
+1
I am considering VCE Literature but my careers advisor suggested English in that if you get it wrong in Lit then it affects the whole unit, whereas in English there are different components so if you don't do as well as one there is the opportunity to do better in another component. Can someone give me more insight.

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE Literature or English
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:52 pm »
+2
Hi there Mackenzie!

I'm not entirely sure what your careers advisor is referring to, however I encourage you to choose lit if it is a subject that you are passionate about! I wouldn't worry about the assessments. Lit is very similar to every other subject, in that you get assessed and tested per Area of Study. For example, for Literature, U3 AOS1 is 'Adaptations and Transformations', so the assessment will be an essay most likely, or an oral (speech). The next AOS is the Creative Response, meaning that you write your own short story/ poem/ script/ etc. in response to the text that you are studying in class. This is a similar effect for U4, in that the assessments are different for each AOS. Therefore, I would not worry if you are not perfect/ superb at one of the assessment styles, because it will change throughout the year, and you can always practise and improve!

If you enjoy reading books, creating your own interpretation and ideas about books, and talking about books, then Lit is for you. If you have enjoyed Year 10 or Year 11 Lit, then I would really recommend pursuing it, because I think it will keep you engaged and interested a lot more than mainstream English!

You could always create a pros + cons list with all of the reasons that you think you should do normal English, and all of the reasons that you want to do Lit. Good luck deciding (and I hope you pick Lit)! :~)

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:57:16 am »
+1
Thankyou I really like your comments and understand this better now so I am still leaning towards Lit but will talk to those in my House that have done Lit as well.  At this stage, although I am strong in Maths, French, English, and most Humanities and Science subjects, which was hard to bring down to 6 subjects as I have many strengths and interests but not entirely sure what course/path I would take at Uni.  I think for Year 11, I will plan for (1) Lit 1/2, (2) Maths Methods 1/2, (3) 20thC History 1 (4) Legal Studies (as my 3/4), (5) French 1/2 , (6) Chemistry 1 and if in Semester 2 I want to pull out or swap out of say History or Chem, then there is option maybe to alternate to a unit 2 in Biology/Accounting/Economics). Same subjects situation in Year 12:
(1) Lit, (2) Maths Methods, (3) History Revolutions (if continuing / or Biology/Accounting/Economics), (4) French, (5) Chem (if continuing / or Biology/Accounting/Economics), all depending on timetable availability. I believe I may need to keep Chem if I want to keep my options open for prereq for Med/Biomed or similar Health Science).  I enjoy numeracy, analysis, and writing.  I thought I would eliminate Spech Maths or Physics even though I am strong in Maths, so I could fit in some Humanities subjects.

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 05:37:58 pm »
+1
Hi Mackenzie! It's brilliant to hear that you have thought about your future so carefully, and it's really great to keep your options open and to allow yourself to switch subjects next year if you're finding them too intense/ uninteresting. I'm beyond glad to hear that my comment helped guide you to make your decision :-)

Your course plan sounds so well rounded! And it's ace that you are aware of your skill set! I think that you will love all of the subjects that you have picked, because they all have their strengths, and also, I think that you will really enjoy all of the different ways in which they will test you! You have some essay subjects, short answer subjects, Chem will give you pracs, and French is linked to both and oral and aural component! You definitely won't get bored :)

I think that it sounds like you have thought really hard and well about your subjects, and it's great that you are keeping your course so well rounded. I hope that your subjects work out well for you!  :D

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 12:02:16 pm »
Thanks Anna, the only thing I changed was from Lit to English, although initially I had thought I would do Lit bc it sounded more interesting, my English teacher suggested English might fit in better with the subjects I was doing. I also confirmed that I am doing Legal Studies 3/4 in year 11, as originally I thought I might be doing Maths Methods, but given that MM i had lost a bit of confidence with (currently doing MM 3/4 prep) and was struggling a little, I think its best that I develop my confidence and Maths maturity and time management skills with the 1/2 MM course next year. Now I have to focus on finishing of a good year 10, and later in term 4 start some 1/2 catch up work to prepare me for Legal Studies 3/4.  So I will be on the lookout for a Legal Studies tutor.