Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:37:21 pm

Author Topic: Just flunked my Trial exam  (Read 3586 times)  Share 

Vosswater

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Just flunked my Trial exam
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:32:34 pm »
I have just had my trial exam on the French and Russian revolutions.
Due to a failure in choosing the right sections for part a and b (I chose French for part A and Russia for part B) I missed out on 20 marks as the two 10 mark questions were on content that we had not covered in class, (how Danton furthered the revolution and what challenges the Representative Government faced).
I am asking for advice on how to study effectively for the final exam and what content to prioritize.

Thanks

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Re: Just flunked my Trial exam
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:16 pm »
+1
I'm not a Revs kid, but don't worry about a subpar score on your practice exam - you have SO much time to improve!
I completed Legal last year in Y11, and our final SAC was the second week of T4, with the completion of such prompting the beginning of my exam revision. I attend a very low-ranking rural government school, so I didn't really know what I was doing with regard to studying (my teacher had, however, taught a student who'd achieved a 50 a few years earlier). My score on the first proper practice exam that I did - not even under time constraints, from what I can recall - was 82%, and this was only a couple of weeks before Nov. 14th. I ended up with a 46 after getting very flustered in the exam, but that's a different story.

I'm only in Y12 myself, but I would recommend ensuring that your content knowledge is sound (you should be working very closely alongside the study design) and that you're able to apply this knowledge to past VCAA questions. Completing practice questions is of so much more value than doing entire practice exams, but writing under time constraints is also very important.

I hope that my advice wasn't too trite, and that it's somewhat of assistance - good luck!

Loren_T

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
Re: Just flunked my Trial exam
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:53:29 pm »
+1
I have just had my trial exam on the French and Russian revolutions.
Due to a failure in choosing the right sections for part a and b (I chose French for part A and Russia for part B) I missed out on 20 marks as the two 10 mark questions were on content that we had not covered in class, (how Danton furthered the revolution and what challenges the Representative Government faced).
I am asking for advice on how to study effectively for the final exam and what content to prioritize.

Thanks
awww- that sucks  :'(
You should cover that stuff in France AOS 2 though...?
You just need to practise lots and make sure to time yourself so that you can work out a strategy for the exam.
My teacher has me doing practise exam sections (i.e. a source analysis or an essay) each week so that the class can nail the structure and application of exam style questions. These cover every dot point from the study design.
You will definitely need to understand ideas, individuals, events, and long term and short term causes