Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:28:17 pm

Author Topic: Who else is nervous?  (Read 11966 times)  Share 

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
Re: Who else is nervous?
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
So are we considering slang as a subset of jargon

Not a subset, but they are similar in function. It is the jargon of a specific group. Look at surfie slang "hang 10" etc (yeah I know nothing about surfing...), this also functions as surfing jargon.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:31:04 pm by lynt.br »

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »
I would say slang is separate from jargon. Slang is more informal, and is usually more based around group inclusion and group identity.
Jargon on the other hand is a highly technical language whose purpose is to aid communication of information. It doesn't have to be informal and while it can include/exclude, this is not its main purpose.

TheJosh

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2009, 06:33:27 pm »
Slang would more fall under register, as register is a 'socially defined variety of language' , appropriate to a specific situation, profession or subject matter

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »
For the writer of the essay in the jargon response he referred to teenspeak as teenjargon...okay???

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2009, 06:35:56 pm »
I would say slang is separate from jargon. Slang is more informal, and is usually more based around group inclusion and group identity.
Jargon on the other hand is a highly technical language whose purpose is to aid communication of information. It doesn't have to be informal and while it can include/exclude, this is not its main purpose.

I believe they can have a very similar function. Let me give you a terrible example:

Say a group of teenagers decide to create the phrase "dagster" which refers to someone who has poor taste in clothing. To the people within the in-group, this slang would also serve the function of aiding communication because it connotes a very clear and specific concept to that group of teenagers. This is a very similar function to jargon, which does not necessarily have to be professional (the question stated that you should explore both professional and popular jargon). The difference is that slang is generally quite informal in comparison to jargon.

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2009, 06:40:15 pm »
For the writer of the essay in the jargon response he referred to teenspeak as teenjargon...okay???

But surely the examples he gave "‘mad’ (good) or ‘wak’ (bizarre but good)" would be examples of teenage slang as well?

While slang and jargon are not exactly the same thing, they can serve very similar functions. A question that asks for discussion on 'popular jargon' would to me imply discussion on how slang can be used for the same function as jargon.

vcestudy123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »
what happens if we run out of lines in the essay? can we get a second booklet or something??
thanks
Yes.

thank you

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:55 am »
wow. its 2:16am im awake because i cant sleep. fkn english language exam has scared the living shits through me
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

eccentric

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 06:37:34 am »
I HAVENT SLEPT FML!

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:31 am »
just woke up. damn straight im nervous LOL!
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

techhatesme

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:38 am »
Dear god, Language should have a day to it's self

FM + Lang will be the death of me.
Regards and Good Luck,

TechHatesMe