Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:30 am

Author Topic: I Want To Pick A Humanities Subject But I'm Torn  (Read 4308 times)  Share 

da_coolest1

• Trailblazer
  • oof
  • Respect: +8
I Want To Pick A Humanities Subject But I'm Torn
« on: October 13, 2019, 05:19:26 pm »
    For context, I'm gonna be Year 11 next year. I have no clue what I want to do after school and all I know is that I want to go to uni. Because of that, I picked Bio, Chem, Methods 3/4 and English to get into basically anything. I also picked Indo SL because I thought I do pretty well in it. I want a bit of variety in my subjects so I'd really like a humanities subject and I can only do it through VSV. The ones that I'm interested in are:

• Philosophy
    • Legal Studies
    • Aus+Global Pol
  • Psychology (i know it's more of a science but whatever)
  • Sociology

I read the study designs and they all sound really interesting but I am sooo torn. So if you have any experiences with these subjects, please share. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:40:38 pm by da_coolest1 »
2020: Methods
2021: Chemistry | Biology | Indonesian SL | English | Australian/Global Politics

forever sleep deprived

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: I Want To Pick A Humanities Subject But I'm Torn
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:40:12 pm »
Since you don't know what you're interested in for after highschool, I'd recommend either not picking psych or swapping it with bio or chem (last I checked chem opens more doors than bio) so that you can experience a wider range of fields than just science. 

Have you read any subject reviews?

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 06:06:04 pm »
I did global politics in VCE and I think that was the most useful subject I did. In particular, 1/2 is has a lot of focus on real life application which I think is really important to everyone. I highly recommend taking global.

I am also a 1/2 psychology drop out and my advice is that if you’re looking for a good bludge subject which isn’t very difficult to score well in, do not do psych. Also I would definitely say it is more of a science than humanities. Adding on to that, as Bri said, if you’re trying to explore different options and study a broad range of subjects, psych won’t be the best option when you already have chem and bio. 
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

da_coolest1

• Trailblazer
  • oof
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:06 pm »
I did global politics in VCE and I think that was the most useful subject I did. In particular, 1/2 is has a lot of focus on real life application which I think is really important to everyone. I highly recommend taking global.

I am also a 1/2 psychology drop out and my advice is that if you’re looking for a good bludge subject which isn’t very difficult to score well in, do not do psych. Also I would definitely say it is more of a science than humanities. Adding on to that, as Bri said, if you’re trying to explore different options and study a broad range of subjects, psych won’t be the best option when you already have chem and bio.

Ah thanks. I didn't know there was a term for it but yeah that's basically what I'm looking for. A bludge subject purely just for fun. You're right. I reread the psych study design and the 3/4 bits seem really science-y and kinda boring. I might get rid of legal from the race too. Soooo we're down to three.

Since you don't know what you're interested in for after highschool, I'd recommend either not picking psych or swapping it with bio or chem (last I checked chem opens more doors than bio) so that you can experience a wider range of fields than just science. 

Have you read any subject reviews?

Actually, no I haven't. Where do you find them?

Mod edit: merged double post.  You can quote multiple people in the same post rather than creating two posts and this keeps the forums neater
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:44:40 am by Bri MT »
2020: Methods
2021: Chemistry | Biology | Indonesian SL | English | Australian/Global Politics

forever sleep deprived

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:41:13 am »
Actually, no I haven't. Where do you find them?

here in Vic Education Discussion