Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:00:22 pm

Author Topic: Study Score?  (Read 5844 times)  Share 

Macnamat

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Study Score?
« on: October 20, 2019, 12:57:49 pm »
Hi,

My school recently held trial exams for Chinese SL, and I got 88/100 for the oral and 70/75 for the written section.

Does anyone know what approximate study score this would give me, given I'm rank 1 in the cohort and my sac scores should thus be equivalent?

I'm trying to gauge my progress.

Thanks so much!  ;D

brothanathan

Re: Study Score?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 03:56:44 pm »
Hi,

My school recently held trial exams for Chinese SL, and I got 88/100 for the oral and 70/75 for the written section.

Does anyone know what approximate study score this would give me, given I'm rank 1 in the cohort and my sac scores should thus be equivalent?

I'm trying to gauge my progress.

Thanks so much!  ;D

What school do you go to? We can probably get a better insight with this info.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:25:07 pm by brothanathan »

lakvinu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 05:51:20 pm »
+2
What school do you go to? We can probably get a better insight with this info.

The school doesn't matter since he is Rank 1.  According to your trial exam scores and your rank 1, I would expect you to get a 44-46 SS.

Nature

• Trailblazer
  • 忍耐が成功の鍵です ❀
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 05:59:08 pm »
Wouldn't say 44-46, instead 38-42.

brothanathan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 06:02:55 pm »
The school doesn't matter since he is Rank 1.  According to your trial exam scores and your rank 1, I would expect you to get a 44-46 SS.

Well it does depend on SAC difficulty quite heavily as well and how their teacher marks.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:50:56 pm »
+4
Well it does depend on SAC difficulty quite heavily as well and how their teacher marks.
not really, you can't just assume a teacher from a lower-ranked school marks more leniently (obviously it can and does happen at times but definitely not always).

Using their trial exam scores to predict a study score will be more beneficial than to look at someone's school to generate a study score prediction - espeically if that person is already rank 1.

lakvinu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:29:56 pm »
not really, you can't just assume a teacher from a lower-ranked school marks more leniently (obviously it can and does happen at times but definitely not always).

Using their trial exam scores to predict a study score will be more beneficial than to look at someone's school to generate a study score prediction - espeically if that person is already rank 1.

Thank you, exactly what I was trying to imply. Also, if you want to experiment with other scores. You can use these two websites linked below.  I cannot guarantee the quality but it is pretty accurate.
https://atar-calculator.deakin.edu.au/vce-study-score-calculator/
https://twmpublications.com/statistics

brothanathan

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 07:16:28 pm »

If we imply this reasoning than the difficutly of the SAC set by the school or teacher would be irrelevant in that case. To set a more simple analogy (e.g. VCE English) it wouldn't matter if school A allows students to bring in a list of quotes and school B doesn't.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 07:19:47 pm »
+2
If we imply this reasoning than the difficutly of the SAC set by the school or teacher would be irrelevant in that case. To set a more simple analogy (e.g. VCE English) it wouldn't matter if school A allows students to bring in a list of quotes and school B doesn't.
The difficulty of the SAC isn't irrelevant - you just can't work out how difficult someone's sac was from knowing what school they go to.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

brothanathan

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
The difficulty of the SAC isn't irrelevant - you just can't work out how difficult someone's sac was from knowing what school they go to.

Unless you've got connections... I know two schools that have a major difference.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 08:16:59 pm »
+10
Unless you've got connections... I know two schools that have a major difference.
There are more than 500 secondary or primary & secondary combined schools in Victoria. Your secondhand subjective opinion on the difference in difficulty of SACs between 2 schools - even if it is for this subject specifically - isn't useful for predicting a study score. Trial exams are far more standardized (although they didn't specify what the exam was, which is the only other bit of info that may have helped) and therefore a significantly better indicator of performance - and given we know op is rank 1, that performance won't be effected by their cohort and so their trial exam scores are the only relevant information needed.

brothanathan

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 03:34:56 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
November 15, 2019, 03:34:56 pm - Hidden.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 04:15:18 pm »
+5
This doesn't explain why rank 1 of one school gets a 28 SS compared to another school's rank 1 student who let's say gets a 40 SS (the only reason from what I have researched for this is their performance in the final exam/s which then SAC score/difficulty moderation occurs). For Chinese, the difficulty of the trial/mock paper can differ significantly between each provider. Is there some sort of standarlization for other subjects? Your advice is insightful for people like me who at this moment of time, aren't familiar with what the outcomes of trial exam scores can determine(other than one's proficiency). So in this case, rank 1 would not be affected by their cohort as long as if they obtain a score/demonstrate a same quality of work in the final exam that represents their ability and ranking.

I highly value your expert opinion  :) and every other deity on the forums, please leave your comments for all to benefit.

May you please answer my question? I value your expert opinion entirely (refer to the post right on top).

Hey there. I can't provide any response on how trial exam providers write their exams — however I can only assume that they'd have a detailed understanding of VCAA expectations and from there would be able to mimic VCAA standards a bit easier. However they can be easier or more difficult than VCAA exams, so past exams are always the best option.

With regards to the rest of your query, fortunately Joseph41 has written an excellent guide, located here, which should be able to answer your questions — please see the SAC moderation and SAC rankings sections in particular.

As helpful as our users are throughout the forums, it can get quite busy both on and off the forums, so sometimes we can't reply. Fortunately there are usually a few relevant posts in the forums. Personally, the ATAR Notes search function can be a bit funky to use. However if you do need to search for a particular topic, I'd recommend using Google and adding site:atarnotes.com, which will refine your query to the ATAR Notes webiste. It's a bit easier this way.

Example:
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:27 pm »
+3
So why can moderators have time to just upvote or downvote a question instead of answering them? As I can see the one who seems knowledgeable on these concerns, Phoenix.
I have a life outside of AN. When you bumped this post, calebark told me he was going to reply to it, which is why I didn't.

+ there is currently no available answer online or on the forums for this
Calebark linked you to some resources that I believe should answer your question. If that doesn't make sense to you or you have further questions you'd like to ask, then you might be able to better understand the process by saying what specifically still confuses you from the information in caleb's post.

EDIT: Also I see that you've downvoted calebarks answer. Do you have an issue with something he said?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:29:08 pm by PhoenixxFire »

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:53 pm »
+7
May you please answer my question? I value your expert opinion entirely (refer to the post right on top).

Just wanted to let you know, but AN is a volunteer community where everyone may contribute if they feel like it. (You do sound a bit pretentious so maybe next time try to ask a bit more nicely) No one is obliged to give you an answer to a question at any given point, however, Calebark has been super amazing and has given you a guide! Good on you Calebark!

So why can moderators have time to just upvote or downvote a question instead of answering them? As I can see the one who seems knowledgeable on these concerns, Phoenix.

Please remember that these people are only just trying to help! They volunteer their time to help this community grow and sometimes they do not have the advice you need to answer the question. Understand that we are human too, we have our own lives and we try our best to help each other, that's what the AN community is all about! If you need desperate answers, I suggest you talk to your teachers instead. We are here to work together and learn from each other, not everyone knows the answer to your questions.