Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:28 am

Author Topic: Struggling in methods 1/2  (Read 1808 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Struggling in methods 1/2
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »
Hey guys thanks for reading,
So far this year in methods I am finding it really hard and this is a subject that can't be dropped. So my current topic is quadratic polynomial functions, and questions go something like this a(x-b)^2+c the parabola has a vertex of (1,6) and passes through the point with the coordinates (2,4) find the values of A,b and c. In the future I look to doing engineering, commerce or medicine so I really want  a study score of 25 in this subject. It turns out that a lot of people in my class are behind, most people have not even done the bare minimum work needed. So how can I improve? I go to class listen and do some work, but still struggle more than anyone else.
 :( :( :(

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Struggling in methods 1/2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 10:06:52 pm »
+4
Hello there!

You have plenty of time to improve. Please don't give up hope :)

I'd suggest pinpointing what exactly it is that is causing you to perform at a level you aren't happy with. If you make mistakes often (mistakes are a really good form of learning by the way, especially in maths), what kind of mistakes are they? (e.g. calculation error, lack of understanding of a concept etc)
Once you have pinpointed areas for improvement, you could go through practising those sorts of concepts with a teacher (even if it's not your own one), a friend or on your own. There are some helpful videos on YouTube too like Eddie Woo's videos, and here on the forum too, like the VCE Methods Question thread.

As for the question you have asked, how far have you gotten in solving it? Are you aware of the different forms of equations (e.g. y = ax^2 + bx + c - polynomial form, or y = a(x-h)^2 + k - turning point form)?

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:24:57 am »
Hello there!

You have plenty of time to improve. Please don't give up hope :)

I'd suggest pinpointing what exactly it is that is causing you to perform at a level you aren't happy with. If you make mistakes often (mistakes are a really good form of learning by the way, especially in maths), what kind of mistakes are they? (e.g. calculation error, lack of understanding of a concept etc)
Once you have pinpointed areas for improvement, you could go through practising those sorts of concepts with a teacher (even if it's not your own one), a friend or on your own. There are some helpful videos on YouTube too like Eddie Woo's videos, and here on the forum too, like the VCE Methods Question thread.

As for the question you have asked, how far have you gotten in solving it? Are you aware of the different forms of equations (e.g. y = ax^2 + bx + c - polynomial form, or y = a(x-h)^2 + k - turning point form)?
I myself have failed to identify why I perform to such a low level. Also is methods needed for engineering? Can I go in with further math? I heard at Vic Uni they allow entry with further math.

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:31 am »
+3
Hi,

I'd suggest having a talk to your maths teacher (past or present) about this because they know you better than we do. Also, going through past tests can be an invaluable way to determine what kind(s) of errors you make in math.

According to the VTAC Course Search, Engineering at VU needs a study score of 20 in any Unit 3 and 4 Mathematics.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: fixed linking format error!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:31:04 pm by lm21074 »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 12:08:48 am »
Hi,

I'd suggest having a talk to your maths teacher (past or present) about this because they know you better than we do. Also, going through past tests can be an invaluable way to determine what kind(s) of errors you make in math.

According to the VTAC Course Search, Engineering at VU needs a study score of 20 in any Unit 3 and 4 Mathematics.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: fixed linking format error!
It sure does and my math teacher isn't good either. The class is struggling for that reason. I just hope I can score a high grade in my other subjects so I can make up for this one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:10:36 am by Stormbreaker-X »

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:41 pm »
+2
It sure does and my math teacher isn't good either. The class is struggling for that reason. I just hope I can score a high grade in my other subjects so I can make up for this one.

A good teacher certainly helps! What is it about your teacher's teaching that isn't good? For example, do they not explain concepts well enough?

It might be helpful to tell your teacher that you're not understanding a certain concept that they're teaching, or that you don't really follow what they mean when they discuss something in class. Most teachers are happy to help - they don't want a whole class of struggling students :( If they aren't of much help to you, then perhaps ask another teacher for help.

Did you end up figuring out how to solve the question in your original post? :)