Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:42:15 pm

Author Topic: [English] Language analysis - 2016 exam Lawton newspaper  (Read 1306 times)  Share 

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
[English] Language analysis - 2016 exam Lawton newspaper
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:17:36 pm »
Hi guys, I just wrote a pretty basic practice essay for my year 11 English class. I had to write an LA essay using a letter and a cartoon, comparing the two in one of the paragraphs. This is my first time attempting this so I was hoping to receive some feedback on it from people other than my teacher. Thanks!

Spoiler
The weekly column in a local Lawton newspaper published a letter by Mayor Alexandra Wiley which contains her proposal of a town landmark to attract tourist attention after being diverted off of the main road. Shifting from an enthusiastic to urgent tone, Wiley addresses the benefits of her proposition and mentions that she wishes to showcase her town's local culture. Throughout her letter, Wiley addresses her fellow Lawton residents using simple and informal language. Her letter aims to convince residents of the benefits an outstanding structure would provide for the town, and the opportunities it would bring.

Wiley proposes the creation of a town monument commemorating Lawton's fresh produce and suggests it could create tourism opportunities. By describing it with colourful, emotive language such as "spectacular" and "soaring", Wiley builds excitement and anticipation in her readers, which positions them to become curious and open to Wiley's new ideas. By proffering that the monument would be "created right here by local craftsmen and women," she appeals to a sense of town patriotism and evokes communal pride. This ultimately positions the reader to agree with Wiley, as they would assume their contributions to Lawton would be celebrated alongside their fellow residents. Through employing an exciting possibility for Lawton residents, Wiley engages her audience and persuades them to show their support.

Wiley, utilising caring and enthusiastic language, puts forward a heartwarming call-to-action to her residents to garner support for her town monument. Repetition of emotive statements beginning with "we" solidifies her communal focus, and encourages locals to band together to have a "chance [to be] on the tourist map." Inclusive language coaxes the reader into agreement with the Mayor through an emotive, all-encompassing stance. By listing her town's numerous attractive qualities such as 'healthy food, sporting teams, and annual Show," Wiley invokes a shared town identity in her audience and positions them to endorse the Mayor, who appears to have the residents' best interests in mind.

Wiley enthusiastically addresses any possible rebuttals to her proposition and solidifies her stance. Utilization of self-deprecating language to imitate "naysayers" paints Wiley in a down-to-earth light, which positions readers to find her more trustworthy. Wiley also claims "visitors love" structures and "towns with giant attractions receive 20% more visitors." Regardless of the truth of these statements, using statistics presents a solid, genuine argument to readers, who will become more inclined to support Wiley as a result. In response to Wiley's proposition, Gary Shaw's cartoon demonstrating a drawing of Lawton with a giant watermelon structure published in the same local newspaper is seemingly a mockery of Wiley's idea. The watermelon structure in Shaw's cartoon occupies a quarter of the image, symbolising the possible obscuration of the town's other redeeming qualities by a large, comical structure. This is also communicated through a visible sign in the foreground of the image, reading "LAWTON, HOME OF THE GIANT WATERMELON." This proposes that Lawton's other traits become redundant under the hype of the "giant watermelon." Shaw's cartoon invokes fears of losing grasp of the town's culture, and positions readers to resist Wiley's plans.

Wiley suggests that a large monument appealing to tourists is a beneficial proposition to attract attention to Lawton. Utilisation of inclusivity present Wiley as a communal figure who has the town's best interests in mind. She also appeals to the patriotism and community pride many residents have through mentioning the many strengths she can bring to light through this opportunity, which sways the reader to ultimately support her ideas to go ahead with the town monument.

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: [English] Language analysis - 2016 exam Lawton newspaper
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:33:33 am »
+2
Hi,

I can definitely give you some feedback if you would like! Can you please let me know roughly what the word limit is and when you want it back by?

Thank you so much and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:09:45 am »
Hi,

I can definitely give you some feedback if you would like! Can you please let me know roughly what the word limit is and when you want it back by?

Thank you so much and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Hi Darcy, I didn't have a word limit and I'm fine whenever, thanks!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:09:49 pm »
+3
Heya! Might be a little late, but any feedback is good feedback, right? :P
Because I don't have access to the article, some of my corrections may not be relevant or may not make complete sense in relation to the particular article/images you analysed. Without much ado:
Spoiler
The weekly column in a local Lawton newspaper published a letter by Mayor Alexandra Wiley which contains her proposal of a town landmark to attract tourist attention after being diverted off of the main road. this sentence feels incomplete - read it to yourself out loud and you will see what i mean :> (hint: you probably don't need the word 'which' Shifting from an enthusiastic to urgent tone, i think it might be best to reference tonal shifts in the body paragraphs so you can actually analyse them. in the intro, a simple few tonal descriptors will do the trick Wiley addresses the benefits of her proposition and mentions that she wishes to showcase her town's local culture. Throughout her letter, Wiley addresses repetition: watch out her fellow Lawton residents using simple and informal language. Her letter aims to convince residents of the benefits an outstanding structure would provide for the town, and the opportunities it would bring. you need to more explicitly state her contention - you said the purpose and what she addresses, but did not overtly word her contention

Wiley proposes the creation of a town monument commemorating Lawton's fresh produce and suggests it could create tourism opportunities. By describing it with colourful, emotive pet peeve here. 'emotive' can be okay in some cases, but emotive language is just so broad and could apply anywhere - try substitute 'emotive' for a more specific adjective language such as "spectacular" and "soaring", Wiley builds excitement and anticipation in her readers, which positions them to become curious and open to Wiley's new ideas regard Wiley's new ideas with a sense of openness and curiosity - of course this is not the only way to phrase this, but i feel it is more fluent than what you have said. By proffering don't think this is correct usage of this word that the monument would be "created right here by local craftsmen and women," she appeals to a sense of town patriotism and evokes communal pride. This ultimately positions the reader to agree with Wiley, as they would assume their contributions to Lawton would be celebrated alongside their fellow residents. this is good, but you can expand on this a teensy bit more. i know what you are saying, but spell it out more clearly. communal pride ---> would feel the need to support/solidarity towards their fellow residents in this creation Through employing an exciting possibility for Lawton residents, Wiley engages her audience and persuades them to show their support. support for what? always be specific!!!!!

Wiley, utilising caring and enthusiastic language, puts forward a heartwarming call-to-action to her residents to garner support for her town monument. Repetition of emotive hmmm this word statements beginning with "we" solidifies her communal try using a different word here, you've already used this focus, and encourages locals to band together to have a "chance [to be] on the tourist map." don't include a quote if you aren't going to analyse it Inclusive language coaxes the reader into agreement with the Mayor through an emotive hm, all-encompassing stance. By listing her town's numerous attractive qualities such as 'healthy food, sporting teams, and annual Show," Wiley invokes a shared town identity in her audience and positions them to endorse the Mayor the Mayor's what? i know what you are referring to, but you have to remember to be specific for your assessor!, who appears to have the residents' best interests in mind.

would be nice to start with a linking word like furthermore, moreover, etc to introduce some change and establish a sense of coherence Wiley enthusiastically addresses any possible rebuttals to her proposition and solidifies her stance. Utilization of self-deprecating language to imitate "naysayers" paints Wiley in a down-to-earth light, which positions readers to find her more trustworthy. good Wiley also claims "visitors love" structures and "towns with giant attractions receive 20% more visitors." Regardless of the truth of these statements, using statistics presents a solid, genuine argument to readers, who will become more inclined to support Wiley as a result. In response to Wiley's proposition, Gary Shaw's cartoon demonstrating a drawing of Lawton with a giant watermelon structure published in the same local newspaper is seemingly a mockery of Wiley's idea. The watermelon structure in Shaw's cartoon occupies a quarter of the image, symbolising the possible obscuration of the town's other redeeming qualities by a large, comical structure. good This is also communicated through a visible sign in the foreground of the image, reading "LAWTON, HOME OF THE GIANT WATERMELON." This proposes that Lawton's other traits become redundant under the hype of the "giant watermelon." Shaw's cartoon invokes fears of losing grasp of the town's culture, and positions readers to resist Wiley's plans.

Wiley suggests that a large monument appealing to tourists is a beneficial proposition to attract attention to Lawton. Utilisation of inclusivity presents Wiley as a communal figure who has the town's best interests in mind. She also appeals to the patriotism and community pride many residents have through mentioning the many strengths she can bring to light through this opportunity, which sways the reader to ultimately support her ideas to go ahead with the town monument. your conclusion becomes redundant if you are just rephrasing the introduction/repeating what has already been said. definitely reiterate the contention, but you can also end with a bang by analysing the article's ending, or by summarising the main way the audience is likely to feel/tone/the main effort. you don't need to list the main focus' of your body paragraphs again here, because you've already explained them in sufficient detail in the paragraphs themselves.
Edit: I realise I have read this article + seen the images in year 11 myself, but I have long forgotten it anyways. :D

Hope this helps :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:52 pm »
Thank you so much, whys! I really appreciate the detailed feedback! I've just gone over this with my teacher and I've been repeatedly told to not introduce any new information in my conclusion. Do examiners push for info in conclusions? Have your teachers mentioned conclusions in a different way? Thanks again!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:29:06 pm »
+3
Thank you so much, whys! I really appreciate the detailed feedback! I've just gone over this with my teacher and I've been repeatedly told to not introduce any new information in my conclusion. Do examiners push for info in conclusions? Have your teachers mentioned conclusions in a different way? Thanks again!
Hey! The conclusion is a structural requirement of any essay, but at my school, they always emphasise that if your conclusion is redundant (i.e. a paraphrased repetition of the introduction), you're better off not including it at all. For the conclusion, I've been told that you can definitely analyse in the conclusion for argument analysis, because it's not like text response where you cannot introduce new information. A great way to end is to analyse the ending of the article - this is especially effective if the ending of the article is powerful and has some good analysis, and end with a general consensus on how the audience is expected to feel/react for that particular section, as well as the article as a whole. Of course, you don't have to do this. You can always go for something more conventional, such as stating the general effect on the audience/reader and the writer's purpose and the general ways that they go about doing this (this is different to just signposting your body paragraphs again). If your teacher underscores the importance of NOT analysing in the conclusion, then definitely go with this, since they are the ones marking your essays. But, it's probably good to know for the exam the different ways you can construct a conclusion depending on which structure would benefit the essay you've written so far. I don't think examiners 'push' for info as such, I can just imagine them being bored from reading a hundred essays with conclusions that are just a repetition of the introduction. When they come to your essay, they'll be relieved that finally, they can read something with a bit of zest ;D. There is of course a line between writing something that is risky and safe - you definitely want to stick to the safe side, and there is no specification that I am aware of that states that you cannot analyse in the conclusion of an argument analysis. You don't have to - you can score perfectly fine with other methods, but it might come in handy when the article ends with an all-encompassing, powerful statement that you could save for the conclusion to end with a bang.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »
+1
That helps a lot, thank you for the clarification. I'll use different methods in my practice essays and see how it goes, for now I feel like staying on the safer side is better but I'll 100% keep everything you mentioned in mind.  ;D