Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:13:16 pm

Author Topic: Should i drop maths methods?  (Read 2364 times)  Share 

yoheity

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should i drop maths methods?
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:44:27 pm »
I am currently studying methods 3/4 in year 12 and its really eating into my study time for my other 3/4 subjects. i don't require it for the bachelor of arts course i want to get into, and don't plan on doing anything like economics. My parents are telling that i shouldn't because it will keep my options open, but i feel as if i can do much better on my other subjects if i drop methods.
I don't see continuing the subject as worth it, but not sure what to say to parents.
I would appreciate some thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:54:06 pm by yoheity »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Should i drop maths methods?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 08:49:40 pm »
+5
You could always soft-drop it.

Like, if you have the freedom to drop it, then clearly you have enough subjects for your ATAR anyway. If you keep doing the subject, the only compulsory time you HAVE to devote to it is in class, when you have SACs if your school does the SACs separately to in-class, and the exams. Otherwise, the time is yours to do what you will. Keep going to class, just don't put any effort in. At the end of the day, it can still score you a couple of extra aggregate points (particularly if you go to a good school), even if you do literally 0 study outside of class. That way you also keep your parents happy, too - you're still DOING the subject, after all

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:25:07 pm »
+1
I completely agree with keltingmeith! I don't think you are actually to drop it at this stage as it is too late in VCAA standards (I could be wrong but I think that last day to drop 3/4 subjects was in April). Also, even if you put no effort in and answer the multi choice on exam 2, you can probs get a 10/20 which will contribute 1/2 points to your aggregate which is a nice bonus.
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

yoheity

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:36:48 pm »
+2
You could always soft-drop it.

Like, if you have the freedom to drop it, then clearly you have enough subjects for your ATAR anyway. If you keep doing the subject, the only compulsory time you HAVE to devote to it is in class, when you have SACs if your school does the SACs separately to in-class, and the exams. Otherwise, the time is yours to do what you will. Keep going to class, just don't put any effort in. At the end of the day, it can still score you a couple of extra aggregate points (particularly if you go to a good school), even if you do literally 0 study outside of class. That way you also keep your parents happy, too - you're still DOING the subject, after all

that is a good point, but i the idea of just having a subject there that i will inevitably still have to study for, and do the required, even if it serves me no purpose in uni entries isn't that appealing to me. My parents would definitely not let me completely drop all effort into methods, and the only other option i see is to drop it.

yoheity

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
I completely agree with keltingmeith! I don't think you are actually to drop it at this stage as it is too late in VCAA standards (I could be wrong but I think that last day to drop 3/4 subjects was in April). Also, even if you put no effort in and answer the multi choice on exam 2, you can probs get a 10/20 which will contribute 1/2 points to your aggregate which is a nice bonus.

Hi, i think our school still allows it, i had a friend drop a 3/4 subject just last week.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 10:05:13 am »
Pretty sure you can still drop subjects, it just shows up rather than being wiped out of existence - so it shows you didn't complete a subject.
Talk to your parents is my advice. Tell them about stress and maybe suggest that you could just 'soft-drop' it with the implication that yeah, you're only really doing it still to make them happy (if that's true).
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 11:55:27 am »
+1
I know methods might be causing you a lot of stress, but if I were you I would keep it. In the end you can do very little for it, but it still counts towards your atar and uni prerequisites.