Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:58 pm

Author Topic: Is it better to have similar texts or different? (related to prescribed)  (Read 7803 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Hey. Do you guys think it's better for your related texts to match up with your prescribed texts in terms of themes, or do you think it's better to have texts that explore separate ideas so you can discuss more ideas in an response?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
+5
Hey. Do you guys think it's better for your related texts to match up with your prescribed texts in terms of themes, or do you think it's better to have texts that explore separate ideas so you can discuss more ideas in an response?

Hey, BakerDad12!

I personally preferred to have my related texts strike a balance somewhere in between. An effective comparison of texts can be facilitated when you can discuss both their divergences and differences in representation on the same idea/theme, but also reaffirm, through their commonalities, important values, attitudes and beliefs. For example, one of my related texts was a Japanese film noir which had nothing to do, on the surface, with my prescribed texts. However, I used it as a way to grapple with the theme of guilt which it had in common with one of my prescribed texts; in the essay, I wrote both about how guilt was explored differently due to the contexts of the texts, but made an overarching argument about the way our egos determine how we respond to feelings of guilt.

I think it is up to you whether it's better for your own arguments to have the related texts match up or challenge the prescribed texts at the end of the day. It also depends on what structure you use (I wrote integrated essays so I had to group them under thematic arguments but if you go with text-by-text for yours, you could discuss them separately but still in response to the same question). Hopefully that helps but feel free to ask any follow up questions!  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
Hi, thanks for the response! I agree with what you're saying in that it should be a balance, but I suppose I'm trying to figure out is the balance one between a theme or in general (because there is always a common ground between texts, I've found)? For example, Pan's Labyrinth is centred around war, and, say, its corrupting influence on innocence and goodness. Should I try and find another text that explores the effects of war, or can I use a text like, say, Childish Gambino's music video 'This is America'.

With this one, I would compare how Pan's Labyrinth explores the corruption of innocence through war, while Gambino explores the corruption of humanity's harmony through racial divisions. This is a very brief and shortened thesis, and it would change depending on the question, but I think there is always a strong common ground between texts like that. However, is this common ground too broad or should I go for something a bit closer to Pan's in terms of themes, such as war?

Thanks heaps for your time!

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
+3
Hi, thanks for the response! I agree with what you're saying in that it should be a balance, but I suppose I'm trying to figure out is the balance one between a theme or in general (because there is always a common ground between texts, I've found)? For example, Pan's Labyrinth is centred around war, and, say, its corrupting influence on innocence and goodness. Should I try and find another text that explores the effects of war, or can I use a text like, say, Childish Gambino's music video 'This is America'.

With this one, I would compare how Pan's Labyrinth explores the corruption of innocence through war, while Gambino explores the corruption of humanity's harmony through racial divisions. This is a very brief and shortened thesis, and it would change depending on the question, but I think there is always a strong common ground between texts like that. However, is this common ground too broad or should I go for something a bit closer to Pan's in terms of themes, such as war?

Thanks heaps for your time!
Hey,
For a related text you should also look at the integrity of the text- this (in a broad sense) means you need to question whether it has garnered critical discussion over a sustained period of time. This will really help you in discussion because you can link back to critical analysis. I'm not sure if "This is America" would fit into this although you could do research to find out of course!
Although I understand where you're coming from with those themes, "innocence" and "harmony" are quite different- a related text should enhance or challenge your understanding of the prescribed text. You don't have to choose something related to war but the themes should be similar- they can be the same or intersect (challenge each other) in a way that allows you to write a detailed essay/assignment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:37:18 pm by rirerire »

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
Hey, thanks for the response! Sorry that I'm responding late, I was just finishing up with trials. I was just using 'This is America' as an example that was as different to Pan's Labyrinth as I could think of.

When you say the themes should match up, do you mean one related text with one prescribed text? I won't be able to have common themes running through all of my texts, because my prescribed texts are all wildly different (Life on Mars, Left Hand of Darkness and Pan's Labyrinth). So do you mean find a common related text for each prescribed text?

rirerire

• Forum Regular
+2
Hey, thanks for the response! Sorry that I'm responding late, I was just finishing up with trials. I was just using 'This is America' as an example that was as different to Pan's Labyrinth as I could think of.

When you say the themes should match up, do you mean one related text with one prescribed text? I won't be able to have common themes running through all of my texts, because my prescribed texts are all wildly different (Life on Mars, Left Hand of Darkness and Pan's Labyrinth). So do you mean find a common related text for each prescribed text?
I'm pretty sure we have to have at least 2 related texts (this is according to the syllabus). I'm not sure which elective you are doing, but I'll use mine as an example, literary homelands. The main idea is notions of "homelands" and ideas of culture, identity etc- every prescribed text (and related text) is in someway linked to these ideas and hence to each other. Similarly, you need to look at the syllabus for your elective, and pick out the main ideas, and how your texts represent these ideas. Most questions ask you to talk about how an idea is represented (to what extent does X do Y... to what extent do your texts reflect the following statement...) and you have to use 2 of your prescribed texts, and one related (although don't count on this, they could change it up).

According to the syllabus of reimagine worlds, you "analyse the ways texts invite responders to re-evaluate understandings and perceptions of their own world, and the ways texts can offer creative, provocative and other insights into humanity." and "push boundaries of the imagination". So your texts aren't necessarily 'wildly different', they are linked by the fact that they offer insights into humanity etc (ofc the specific 'insights' could be different themes).

Sorry for the long response!! but you don't need a different related text for each prescribed, I think if you take a look at your syllabus and pick out the key ideas it'll become much easier for you to find a related text. You should also ask your teacher + look online for related texts from this elective, personally I'm not familiar w this elective.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:57:08 pm by rirerire »

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
Hi, thanks for the response! That's actually what I initially had - texts that are thematically different but are linked through the rubric. I should've explained that clearer. So, is that okay then? For example, say Pan's Labyrinth is about war, but I can still have a related text about something thematically different like a poem about change, as long as both give insights into human nature? (or some other rubric point).

rirerire

• Forum Regular
+1
Hi, thanks for the response! That's actually what I initially had - texts that are thematically different but are linked through the rubric. I should've explained that clearer. So, is that okay then? For example, say Pan's Labyrinth is about war, but I can still have a related text about something thematically different like a poem about change, as long as both give insights into human nature? (or some other rubric point).
Yep, I'm sure that's fine! Stick to the overarching ideas in the syllabus and you'll be fine, don't overthink it! If you're worried about the related text I suggest you ask your teacher what they recommend :), and take a look at past students related texts too. Sorry if I confused you, good luck with everything!!