Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:41:46 pm

Author Topic: Language Analysis Marking - 2018 NHT VCAA Exam  (Read 2157 times)  Share 

jacobwinf

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Language Analysis Marking - 2018 NHT VCAA Exam
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:02:53 am »
Hi guys,

First time posting here. I was wondering if someone could provide me with feedback for my Language Analysis piece, I have gotten 6/10 from my teacher for this. I would like to combine her feedback along with feedback from Atarnotes to improve my analysing skill as the English exam is creeping up!!

The article I chose was 2018 VCAA's NHT exam. If someone can provide me with feedback, I would be very grateful.

Spoiler
The rapid mainstreaming of robots and the progression to continuously improving them to be more intelligent has sparked a debate whether or not they can promote the lives of human beings.  Some argue that robots are mostly beneficial to improving the lives of humans, while others state that robots are taking over the job market and may try to overthrow less ‘intelligent’ beings. A well-known writer for social concerns, John Jones, penned a feature article as a form on an opinion piece, titled, ‘Our Future with Robots’. Concerningly, he outlines that robots are taking over our lives, and will continue to do so if humans do not stand up against the rapid growth in digital technology. On the other hand, Ashley O’Hara writes a letter which was published in the same newspaper, dismaying Jones piece, as she depicts that robots improve human productivity so that individuals can spend more time with their family.

Jones begins his opinion piece  by outlining how robots are advertised to the society in a positive light, which he claims to be misleading. In making this argument, Jones recognises that robots can be helpful to humans in their day to day lives as they can ‘clean offices’, ‘perform surgical procedures’, but he furthers this with, ‘[we] are constantly bombarded with information about robots’. The negative connotation, ‘bombarded’ indicates that humans are unwillingly fed this information, as it was a sales tactics to sell more robots. This may make Jones’ audience block out any unwanted information that describes the potential benefits of robots. To further reinforce his argument, he demonstrates that even though robots can ‘clean the house for us’, nothing is preventing them from stealing our private information, ‘while we are out’. That is intended to elicit fear amongst the readers as everyone desires to keep their private and personal life to themselves. He implies that the dangers of robots are not an ‘exaggerated fantasy’, coupled with a short, sharp sentence. This furthers the implication that dangers of this technology are real, and not just ‘science fiction’ or a ‘fantasy’. By advances by explaining, ‘This is the now.’, as he intends to call his audience to take immediate action so that the rapid increase in artificial beings can halt. Ultimately, he makes readers less likely to be eager or acceptive for the mainstreaming of artificial technology, by changing the perspective of potential audience who may have believed that robots beneficial to human lives.

Progressing with his piece, Jones’ delineates that robots are reducing job prospects for humans, as many ‘lower-skilled’ workers have been ‘displaced’. In making this argument, he seeks to embellish and appeal to humans about their job security, as their job may be stolen by a robot, if they do not act to stop the growth of such technology. Jones’ supports this claim through the accompanying image, which renders a picture of a metal, human-like robot with a hard hat, safety glasses, and paper board. As the robot is in the attire of a construction worker, it outlines to the audience that the construction industry is at risk of being overthrown by robots. Due to the construction being a large sector in the modern world, it provides many jobs – which may be lost if robots are not stopped. Thus, appealing to hip-pocket, as higher unemployment rates can lead to the loss of materialistic possessions, as well as financial security.

Moreover, he utilises an emotional appeal, as he states that ‘think about people who work as cleaners’, ‘what will become of them?’. Jones’ attempts to make  readers feel empathetic for lower skilled jobs, as individuals who do such jobs are usually from a lower socioeconomic status, and by rising their unemployment rates, it further pushes them into poverty. This demonstrates to the readers that they should feel compassionate about preventing job loss for all individuals, especially jobs which are regarded as, ‘lower-skilled’. Near the end of the article, Jones’ labels humans as ‘going out of fashion’, as robots are causing humans to become outdated. By referring to humans becoming ‘outdated’, which is a negative connotation, he appeals to the being modern and up to date, eliciting that urgent action must be taken to prevent the obsoletion of human beings.

Conversely, through a disappointed, yet rational tone, O’Hara criticises Jones’ point of view, and even reduces his assertions to, ‘theatrical scare tactics’. She begins the letter with an attack to undermine Jones’ opinion, and to pose him in a negative light as she states he is as a ‘conservative’ and an ‘alarmist’. This paints a picture to her audience to not believe views from a ‘conservative’ person, as they are not progressive. O’Hara uses reason and logic to undermine Jones’ claims further, as she claims that false information such as ‘TV will give you square eyes’, and that ‘cars will make you lazy’, have not proved to be correct. O’Hara compares those hoaxes with artificial intelligence and reassures her audience that robots will also not have any ‘dread[ful]’ consequences. This strengthens her argument, as O’Hara outlines that Jones’ merely is fostering fear into humans, instead of basing his ideologies around facts. O’Hara continues to gain the attention of her audience, by praising them, as she refers to humans as ‘versatile’, ‘resilient’ and that humans even survived the ‘industrial revolution’. It ultimately makes the readers feel good about themselves, making them more likely to engage with O’Hara’s article. O’Hara portrays robots in a positive light, as they can do lower-skilled jobs for humans so that they do not have to do it, as they can increase human productivity which ultimately leads to much more needed, family time. By highlighting the importance of family, by stating that ‘parent’ should spend more ‘quality time with [their] child’, it leads to the audience who may previously believe that robots can only harm society, to believe that it can also benefit society in a significant way, and make the audience feel more connected in the end.

Thank you!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Language Analysis Marking - 2018 NHT VCAA Exam
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:08:57 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

First time posting here. I was wondering if someone could provide me with feedback for my Language Analysis piece, I have gotten 6/10 from my teacher for this. I would like to combine her feedback along with feedback from Atarnotes to improve my analysing skill as the English exam is creeping up!!

The article I chose was 2018 VCAA's NHT exam. If someone can provide me with feedback, I would be very grateful.

Spoiler
The rapid mainstreaming of robots and the progression to continuously improving them to be more intelligent has sparked a debate whether or not they can promote the lives of human beings.  Some argue that robots are mostly beneficial to improving the lives of humans, while others state that robots are taking over the job market and may try to overthrow less ‘intelligent’ beings. A well-known writer for social concerns, John Jones, penned a feature article as a form on an opinion piece, titled, ‘Our Future with Robots’. Concerningly, he outlines that robots are taking over our lives, and will continue to do so if humans do not stand up against the rapid growth in digital technology. On the other hand, Ashley O’Hara writes a letter which was published in the same newspaper, dismaying Jones piece, as she depicts that robots improve human productivity so that individuals can spend more time with their family.

Jones begins his opinion piece  by outlining how robots are advertised to the society in a positive light, which he claims to be misleading. In making this argument, Jones recognises that robots can be helpful to humans in their day to day lives as they can ‘clean offices’, ‘perform surgical procedures’, but he furthers this with, ‘[we] are constantly bombarded with information about robots’. The negative connotation, ‘bombarded’ indicates that humans are unwillingly fed this information, as it was a sales tactics to sell more robots. This may make Jones’ audience block out any unwanted information that describes the potential benefits of robots. To further reinforce his argument, he demonstrates that even though robots can ‘clean the house for us’, nothing is preventing them from stealing our private information, ‘while we are out’. That is intended to elicit fear amongst the readers as everyone desires to keep their private and personal life to themselves. He implies that the dangers of robots are not an ‘exaggerated fantasy’, coupled with a short, sharp sentence. This furthers the implication that dangers of this technology are real, and not just ‘science fiction’ or a ‘fantasy’. By advances by explaining, ‘This is the now.’, as he intends to call his audience to take immediate action so that the rapid increase in artificial beings can halt. Ultimately, he makes readers less likely to be eager or acceptive for the mainstreaming of artificial technology, by changing the perspective of potential audience who may have believed that robots beneficial to human lives.

Progressing with his piece, Jones’ delineates that robots are reducing job prospects for humans, as many ‘lower-skilled’ workers have been ‘displaced’. In making this argument, he seeks to embellish and appeal to humans about their job security, as their job may be stolen by a robot, if they do not act to stop the growth of such technology. Jones’ supports this claim through the accompanying image, which renders a picture of a metal, human-like robot with a hard hat, safety glasses, and paper board. As the robot is in the attire of a construction worker, it outlines to the audience that the construction industry is at risk of being overthrown by robots. Due to the construction being a large sector in the modern world, it provides many jobs – which may be lost if robots are not stopped. Thus, appealing to hip-pocket, as higher unemployment rates can lead to the loss of materialistic possessions, as well as financial security.

Moreover, he utilises an emotional appeal, as he states that ‘think about people who work as cleaners’, ‘what will become of them?’. Jones’ attempts to make  readers feel empathetic for lower skilled jobs, as individuals who do such jobs are usually from a lower socioeconomic status, and by rising their unemployment rates, it further pushes them into poverty. This demonstrates to the readers that they should feel compassionate about preventing job loss for all individuals, especially jobs which are regarded as, ‘lower-skilled’. Near the end of the article, Jones’ labels humans as ‘going out of fashion’, as robots are causing humans to become outdated. By referring to humans becoming ‘outdated’, which is a negative connotation, he appeals to the being modern and up to date, eliciting that urgent action must be taken to prevent the obsoletion of human beings.

Conversely, through a disappointed, yet rational tone, O’Hara criticises Jones’ point of view, and even reduces his assertions to, ‘theatrical scare tactics’. She begins the letter with an attack to undermine Jones’ opinion, and to pose him in a negative light as she states he is as a ‘conservative’ and an ‘alarmist’. This paints a picture to her audience to not believe views from a ‘conservative’ person, as they are not progressive. O’Hara uses reason and logic to undermine Jones’ claims further, as she claims that false information such as ‘TV will give you square eyes’, and that ‘cars will make you lazy’, have not proved to be correct. O’Hara compares those hoaxes with artificial intelligence and reassures her audience that robots will also not have any ‘dread[ful]’ consequences. This strengthens her argument, as O’Hara outlines that Jones’ merely is fostering fear into humans, instead of basing his ideologies around facts. O’Hara continues to gain the attention of her audience, by praising them, as she refers to humans as ‘versatile’, ‘resilient’ and that humans even survived the ‘industrial revolution’. It ultimately makes the readers feel good about themselves, making them more likely to engage with O’Hara’s article. O’Hara portrays robots in a positive light, as they can do lower-skilled jobs for humans so that they do not have to do it, as they can increase human productivity which ultimately leads to much more needed, family time. By highlighting the importance of family, by stating that ‘parent’ should spend more ‘quality time with [their] child’, it leads to the audience who may previously believe that robots can only harm society, to believe that it can also benefit society in a significant way, and make the audience feel more connected in the end.

Thank you!
I don't know how detailed/harsh you want me to be, so sorry if I upset you or anything - it's not intended! :)
What you've done well:
-Good vocabulary (although some is misused)
-Good argument structure
-Clear topic sentences in each argument
What needs improving:
-Need more in your introduction I think
-Be careful with word choice/grammar/spelling etc.
-Maybe go deeper with your analysis?
-Feels a liiiiiittle choppy?
-Most of what I'm noticing is to do with word choices/sentence structure etc.
Overall feedback:
-Good, but needs work mostly in individual sentences, making them all flow nicely etc.
Take my advice with a grain of salt - I'm only a year 12 student too! :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:37:54 pm »
+4
I think your vocabulary is also amazing!!! A lot of this is really good but I’ll focus on improvements to keep it short:

Try to focus more on what the author wants to get the writer to feel in order to make them do (the purpose). You have done this quite a few times but if you do this all throughout I think it’ll make an improvement!

I noticed you said “this may make the readers.....”. You have to sound definitely sure (I think) like this is what the writer intended them to feel for this reason. Everything written the writer has done, purposely, for a reason....but what reason is that?

Warning I’m also a year 12 so not 110% sure how much this helps  :)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:49 pm »
+2
I think your vocabulary is also amazing!!!
Not to be harsh, jacobwinf, but I do think it really needs reiterating that while your vocabulary is pretty good, there's a lot of misuse of words/clumsy sentences. Really good base of analysis, I reckon, but the actual way in which it is expressed is important. So, do things like make sure you know how the word goes into the sentence - though synonyms, they're not all created equal, if you understand. :)

(Again, this is good, it just needs that fixing to get it up by a way. :)))

Also, Coolgal, just to add to your point about sounding certain, isn't it more like you have to be saying '[author] tries to do [thing]' (though don't use 'try', I generally use 'strives' or something), ie the author isn't necessarily going to get it through, but this is what they're trying to do.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 06:24:39 pm »
+1

Also, Coolgal, just to add to your point about sounding certain, isn't it more like you have to be saying '[author] tries to do [thing]' (though don't use 'try', I generally use 'strives' or something), ie the author isn't necessarily going to get it through, but this is what they're trying to do.

Yeah I don’t use “try”either I use hopes, endeavours, aims, endgender etc. I just wanted to make sure I explained it simply 😊
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

LachlanBarr8

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 06:28:09 pm »
+1
I wrote an essay on the same exam if this helps, not completely flawless (as youll see from my teachers feedback) but decent enough :) . Also from what ive noticed in your piece is that you seem extremely concerned with identifying persuasive techniques. Please remember that this is not always neccessary but rather the task is solely to focus on how the arguments are established and developed and then unpack how the language functions to have a specific impact on readers in order to strengthen said arguments.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:39:17 pm by LachlanBarr8 »
2019: Psychology [44], Religion & Society [48]

2020: Accounting [41], English [48], Further [45], Methods [37]

ATAR: 99.00