Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:45 pm

Author Topic: Super Strict Teacher  (Read 4148 times)  Share 

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Super Strict Teacher
« on: November 16, 2020, 09:40:42 pm »
Hi! I just got my Year 12 classes and I am in a huge dilemma! There are two teachers for HHD next year and I drew the short straw and was put into a class with a teacher who cannot teach but marks super harshly. She marks super duper harsh and I'm worried I am screwed for HHD next year. Any tips on how I can do well?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: Super Strict Teacher
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 09:53:20 pm »
+10
Hi potato!

What makes you say that she cannot teach? Does your learning style not match with her teaching style, or is there another issue that you don't really mesh with?

I can understand your worries about harsh marking. I would say that it's particularly hard to lose marks in HHD because the criteria (for most questions) is fairly simple... if anything, a harsh-marking teacher can help you develop a better way of answering questions and help you improve.

You mentioned that there are two HHD teachers next year– usually with SACs they'll cross mark them to ensure that you're getting the fairest score possible. If this is really concerning maybe have a chat to the other HHD teacher and see what the general protocol for marking is. Your teacher shouldn't be marking you to fail/do poorly.

If you really end up not liking how this teacher approaches your learning, and you can't change to the other HHD class, worry not, you can use the material given in class + self study to learn the content.

Hope this helped a little (:

alrightally

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 10:19:15 pm »
+8
Hi!

I agree with the above poster. Cross marking should make sure the marking process is fair. Also, it’s better to have a harsh marker than an easy marker in HHD because that’s the standard they’ll have for the exam!

I completely understand worries about a teacher though! Last year I had 3 teachers for HHD in a matter of months, it was a mess and I had to do it basically on my own - I ended up with a 50! You can do it! Otherwise, I’m offering tutoring and would be happy to help you out :) I can tell you care about this great subject and you deserve to do well, so don’t give up!
2018: History Revolutions (41)
2019: Health & Human (50), Psychology (49), English (43), Literature (39), Maths Methods (33)
ATAR: 98.85

Message me for tutoring! I would love to help you reach your SS goals.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 04:37:39 pm »
+7
If you have issues with the teacher, consider raising these issues with the teacher. It's impossible for teachers to cater to every single student in the way they teach but they might be able to adjust some things to help you learn better. The best thing to do is try to adapt to the situation you're in and change the way you approach things. As you develop a relationship with this teacher and as the year progresses you'll probably find your relationship improves a lot :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:02:06 pm »
+3
Hi potato!

What makes you say that she cannot teach? Does your learning style not match with her teaching style, or is there another issue that you don't really mesh with?
Hey bluey! I'm mostly going off with what her students in her Year 12 class this year said. Usually our cohort is pretty accurate when describing teachers' teaching ability. Apparently, she doesn't explain content properly or give resources that other teachers give (which I have a solution for). I'm mostly worried because she's apparently a very harsh marker.

I can understand your worries about harsh marking. I would say that it's particularly hard to lose marks in HHD because the criteria (for most questions) is fairly simple... if anything, a harsh-marking teacher can help you develop a better way of answering questions and help you improve.
Ohh that's very true, thank you so much for that input!!

You mentioned that there are two HHD teachers next year– usually with SACs they'll cross mark them to ensure that you're getting the fairest score possible. If this is really concerning maybe have a chat to the other HHD teacher and see what the general protocol for marking is. Your teacher shouldn't be marking you to fail/do poorly.

If you really end up not liking how this teacher approaches your learning, and you can't change to the other HHD class, worry not, you can use the material given in class + self study to learn the content.

Hope this helped a little (:
Thank you so much blueycan!! I feel so much more confident! As I can't change classes, I'm just going to have to work twice as hard and be confident in myself!

Hi!

I agree with the above poster. Cross marking should make sure the marking process is fair. Also, it’s better to have a harsh marker than an easy marker in HHD because that’s the standard they’ll have for the exam!

I completely understand worries about a teacher though! Last year I had 3 teachers for HHD in a matter of months, it was a mess and I had to do it basically on my own - I ended up with a 50! You can do it! Otherwise, I’m offering tutoring and would be happy to help you out :) I can tell you care about this great subject and you deserve to do well, so don’t give up!
Hi alrightally! Congratulations, that's an amazing score! Thank you so much for your encouraging words, it means a lot and I feel a lot more confident!!

If you have issues with the teacher, consider raising these issues with the teacher. It's impossible for teachers to cater to every single student in the way they teach but they might be able to adjust some things to help you learn better. The best thing to do is try to adapt to the situation you're in and change the way you approach things. As you develop a relationship with this teacher and as the year progresses you'll probably find your relationship improves a lot :)
Hi K888! You are absolutely right, thank you so much for your positive words and encouragement. I will definitely adapt to the situation and do my best. Thank you!  ;D

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 11:29:11 pm »
+2
Apparently, she doesn't explain content properly or give resources that other teachers give (which I have a solution for).
As long as you have a solution in mind that won't burden you too much! If you need any resources (even if you're unsure of the outcome) make sure you ask her, it can be annoying but some teachers just need a little push.

Thank you so much blueycan!! I feel so much more confident! As I can't change classes, I'm just going to have to work twice as hard and be confident in myself!

Yay! You got this! If you need anything in regards to HHD don't hesitate to post on the question board (there are some really talented AN members active on there) or alternatively PM me and I'll do my best to help you out <3

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 06:45:09 am »
+2
As long as you have a solution in mind that won't burden you too much! If you need any resources (even if you're unsure of the outcome) make sure you ask her, it can be annoying but some teachers just need a little push.
Absolutely! Yeah that can be annoying bahahaha

Yay! You got this! If you need anything in regards to HHD don't hesitate to post on the question board (there are some really talented AN members active on there) or alternatively PM me and I'll do my best to help you out <3
Thank you SO much for the support bluey, it means the world <3
And I'll definitely take you up on the offer  ;D