Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:36 am

Author Topic: Pacing for year 12  (Read 3556 times)  Share 

Alexforeva94

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Pacing for year 12
« on: November 21, 2020, 03:43:06 pm »
Hey guys,

Going into 3/4 next year, and I was wondering about how I should be pacing my reading in the textbook in order to maximise my study score?

Should I be aiming to finish studying all the textbook material by term 3, or is there not much time pressure?

Also, how much would you recommend that I do in the summer holidays?

I will be using CPAP 7th edition for reference.

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: Pacing for year 12
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:49:57 pm »
+2
I personally find the textbook really unhelpful for economics (take this from someone who is a student of one of the CPAP textbook writers). The textbook will give you a broad overview of the context but economics is more conceptual than what a textbook can tell you. It's more worthwhile to practice questions and write your own notes from the study design because the textbook seems to be too broad and specific and doesn't actually directly address dot points in the study design. The focus is too different in the textbook than what VCAA is looking for.

I also personally find that finishing everything by term 3 for any subject is way too early - mainly because it may be too unrealistic to be peaking by the time you get to exams. But that's just my personal opinion.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:07:20 pm by rkjthguakj »
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
Re: Pacing for year 12
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:41:04 pm »
+2
Hey Alexforeva94,

I wouldn't focus all my energy on trying to finish the textbook material, especially not by term 3. The textbook is quite long and detailed, you may find yourself burnt out if you try to finish it quickly and besides, you will most likely need to revisit it when it comes time for SACs and exams.

I'm completing Economics U3/4 this year, its not my best subject but I'm hoping I can use the exam to redeem myself. One thing I really recommend, which I only started doing when it was too late, is doing practice questions. Just work your way through the textbook at the speed of the class and do plenty of practice questions to make sure you're really absorbing and understanding the information.

There's definitely no harm in doing some pre-reading for class, but I wouldn't recommend aiming to finish reading the textbook by term 3. 

I personally find the textbook really unhelpful for economics (take this from someone who is a student of one of the CPAP textbook writers). The textbook will give you a broad overview of the context but economics is more conceptual than what a textbook can tell you.

ALSO, THIS! ^^
I agree 100%
I mainly relied on my Economics ATAR Notes this year. There is a lot of information in the textbook that you will definitely never use. The ATAR Notes are a lot more concise.

Anyway, best of luck for Economics next year :)