Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:57 pm

Author Topic: Do chinese at school or externally?  (Read 4057 times)  Share 

fergusthefrog

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Do chinese at school or externally?
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:42:13 am »
Is it better to do chinese outside of school (like xinjinshan) because I've heard they prepare you better than your day school??? Also the cohort at my school isn't that strong so would that affect my study score?

Emerzer

• Adventurer
Re: Do chinese at school or externally?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:59:41 pm »
Well from what I have heard, a lot of people who got high marks in Chinese went to xinjinshan. You can go to xjs but still do the actual exam at your school if you want , but I think your sac scores will scale up if you do them at xjs (because stronger cohort). There are also some very good teachers there. If you get rank 1 in your school, I don't think it will affect your study score that much, but imo xjs is a pretty good option. Btw are you doing sl or sla, what year level for day school are you currently in right now and when are you planning to do units 3 and 4?

Ryan Smith

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:04:00 pm »
It is probally better to do Chinese earlier than later (just my 2 cents)

Emerzer

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 08:31:35 am »
It is probally better to do Chinese earlier than later (just my 2 cents)
Yep, because otherwise it might be too late and you might have to spend a lot of extra time on Chinese which can affect your other subjects.

fergusthefrog

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 02:37:10 pm »
Well from what I have heard, a lot of people who got high marks in Chinese went to xinjinshan. You can go to xjs but still do the actual exam at your school if you want , but I think your sac scores will scale up if you do them at xjs (because stronger cohort). There are also some very good teachers there. If you get rank 1 in your school, I don't think it will affect your study score that much, but imo xjs is a pretty good option. Btw are you doing sl or sla, what year level for day school are you currently in right now and when are you planning to do units 3 and 4?

Im doing SL doing units 1/2 this year. My day school teacher said it doesn't matter if you do it externally or at school, your final score would still be around the same???? Plus i dont think ill be rank 1 at my school, theres a few people who i know are better than me, but at the same time i'll probably rank bottom middle if i did it externally.

Also, how does ranking and sac scores work?

Emerzer

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 08:58:35 am »
Im doing SL doing units 1/2 this year. My day school teacher said it doesn't matter if you do it externally or at school, your final score would still be around the same???? Plus i dont think ill be rank 1 at my school, theres a few people who i know are better than me, but at the same time i'll probably rank bottom middle if i did it externally.

Also, how does ranking and sac scores work?
I think you can check elsewhere but this what I have heard.  So basically, different schools give different sacs and some are hard and some are easy. People normally get lower marks on hard ones but their score gets scaled up and people normally easily get high marks on easy ones but their score can get scaled down, but I think if you are rank 1 the scaling down won't affect you that much. They normally give a harder sac to a stronger cohort and an easier sac to a weaker cohort. I'm not sure how good you are right now, but I feel like if you work hard enough you will be able to get 40+ (the sl people in my class isn't that good). Also I've never done Chinese at my day-school but a lot of people in my class do Chinese both at xjs and their normal school. I feel like it is also better to go to a competitive class because at the end of the day, you will be competing against the whole state, not just your school. A lot of people who get 40+ does Chinese externally but if your school does really well too then it is fine. Think about it like this, right now, no matter what SAC you do (hard or easy), you will get a similar mark because the scaling system is pretty fair. However, it can change in time depending on the teacher you get, the books and resources you use and how hard you work.