Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:16:22 am

Author Topic: Accounting or economics?  (Read 3485 times)  Share 

jjessiie.

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Accounting or economics?
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:30:24 pm »
+1
I am thinking of switching one of my subjects to either accounting or economics for next semester (I would be starting unit 2).

Is unit 1 of accounting content-heavy? Would it be difficult to catch up after missing unit 1?
Would accounting or economics be more relevant in uni degrees?
Generally, does anyone know which subject is 'easier?'

Thanks!

Gokart#5

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Accounting or economics?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:56:50 am »
Hi,

I do both of these subjects.

Accounting is generally regarded as easier, but only by a little. Accounting is more math and number based, whereas economics does not have as much math, at least in high school.

They are both outstanding subjects, neither are needed for uni, even if you want to be say an accountant.

Both give you real life skills and knowledge.

Accounting is very good if you want to work closely with businesses and looks at how to successfully run a business and report for it financially. Economics is good if you are interested in economic decision making and how an economy is ran, and is a good thing to pick if you want to go into government, or even have an understanding of how the economy works and why certain decisions are made.

Hope this helps  ;)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: Accounting or economics?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:50:33 am »
I only did VCE Economics and it was one of my favourite subjects, so I can't say much about accounting.

In terms of usefulness for University, I've heard that VCE accounting is pretty useful for ARA, (a compulsory Commerce subject at UniMelb). I haven't done it but my friends who didn't do VCE accounting have said that they needed to teach themselves the VCE accounting content to keep up with the content in ARA.

For VCE economics, the content is useful for introductory microeconomics and introductory macroeconomics, but wouldn't be necessary or be a huge headstart. So in terms of usefulness for university, if you plan to do the Bachelor of Commerce at UniMelb, I would say that VCE accounting is more useful. But both subjects are relatively relevant to the course, as far as VCE subjects are.

Hope this helps!
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)