Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:35 pm

Author Topic: Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2 and by VSV  (Read 3585 times)  Share 

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2 and by VSV
« on: November 05, 2021, 09:58:22 pm »
+1
Hey all,

How difficult will I find classical studies next year doing it by VSV and without units 1/2? I believe we are focusing on the Greek side and this is an area that I have a lot of prior knowledge in and am really interested in so I hope that will benefit me. Any things I should know before next year?
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Archibald.Gemmill

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2 and by VSV
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:19:02 pm »
Hey SnekiSnek,
You will be fine! I have done the same thing this year and my success in the subject has not been affected. In saying that, I have been studying Literature and Ancient History for a few years before starting classics, and both courses are very linked. I was surprised how ‘Englishy’ classics was - you need to write eloquently and notice textual/artistic intricacies and techniques to take those top marks. It’s such a wonderful and enriching course whether you are striving for top marks or not - it really changes your perceptions of humanity and contextualises the modern age.
In regards to studying with VSV, I wholeheartedly recommend it. However, it is a lot of reading. Remember, the virtual teacher has to type everything that a classroom teacher would normally say to you across the course of a week, so there is a lot to read! But, every week’s work is sectioned very clearly, and the course notes are conversational. But, it is very important to write your own detailed notes and summaries based on VSV’s notes. Don’t read idly because you will not retain anything - understand the content and ideas and write it in your own terms. The SACs are fair and engaging, and nothing to stress about. And, yes, you are correct - the focus at the virtual school is definitely on Greece. All of my texts were Greek (The Iliad, Electra and Antigone, Greek vases, and The Histories and The Persians), but it made it a far simpler course sticking with the one society - everything was linked by the end.
In summary, go for it! Classics at VSV is a flourishing course with wonderful teachers, and worthwhile for any student to undertake. Best of luck!
Literature: 38
Global Politics: 38
Italian: 40
Ancient History: 40
Classical Studies: 44
Revolutions History: 44
2021 ATAR: 97.65

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Re: Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2 and by VSV
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 09:02:11 am »
Hey SnekiSnek,
You will be fine! I have done the same thing this year and my success in the subject has not been affected. In saying that, I have been studying Literature and Ancient History for a few years before starting classics, and both courses are very linked. I was surprised how ‘Englishy’ classics was - you need to write eloquently and notice textual/artistic intricacies and techniques to take those top marks. It’s such a wonderful and enriching course whether you are striving for top marks or not - it really changes your perceptions of humanity and contextualises the modern age.
In regards to studying with VSV, I wholeheartedly recommend it. However, it is a lot of reading. Remember, the virtual teacher has to type everything that a classroom teacher would normally say to you across the course of a week, so there is a lot to read! But, every week’s work is sectioned very clearly, and the course notes are conversational. But, it is very important to write your own detailed notes and summaries based on VSV’s notes. Don’t read idly because you will not retain anything - understand the content and ideas and write it in your own terms. The SACs are fair and engaging, and nothing to stress about. And, yes, you are correct - the focus at the virtual school is definitely on Greece. All of my texts were Greek (The Iliad, Electra and Antigone, Greek vases, and The Histories and The Persians), but it made it a far simpler course sticking with the one society - everything was linked by the end.
In summary, go for it! Classics at VSV is a flourishing course with wonderful teachers, and worthwhile for any student to undertake. Best of luck!

Thank you for the response! I am completing Literature at VSV (did Units 1/2 this year) so I'm very thankful that the two subjects are interlinked. As much as I would like to do Roman society (I do love me some Cicero), I am looking forward to the Greek literature
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics