Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:03 pm

Author Topic: SAC One: Narrative/Production Elements - Preperation  (Read 17622 times)  Share 

abcat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
SAC One: Narrative/Production Elements - Preperation
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:32:04 am »
+1
On completion of this unit the student should be able to analyse the nature and function of production and story elements in fictional media texts and discuss how combinations of these elements structure the narrative to engage an audience. - VCE Media Study Design

This SAC will usually appear in two forms. Either, one question asking how story/production elements construct a certain character, or illustrate point of view. Or, more likely, a few questions (3-4) asking how a few production elements work to create a setting, how the production elements realise narrative possibilities, etc.

There are a few things required if you wish to succeed in this SAC:
  • Know your text well - all characters and their developments
  • Knowing every production and story element
  • Understanding the relationship between the two
  • Knowing specific examples where production or narrative elements are used

This guide should help you prepare for the SAC, regardless of the text chosen.

How to answer a question
The easiest way to explain this I find is by working through an example. Take this question from the 2006 Exam.
With reference to one text, discuss how editing of vision and/or sound is used to structure time within the
narrative. In your answer you may include discussion of style, techniques, placement, pace and rhythm of editing.

Unpacking the question
(This is a vital yet simple part of addressing the question, that should become second nature.)
  • First, the words 'editing' and 'structure time' should be obvious. Evidently, you will be discussing how editing is used to structure time. Editing being the production element, structuring of time being the narrative element.
  • Note 'with reference to one text'. One text only, don't go blabbing on about both.
  • The question explicitly lists the words you should be using. Style, technique, placement, pace, rhythm of editing. This is what you need to discuss.
  • It does not ask for reference to a specific scene, so you are free to discuss the film as a whole
  • Think about how your 'one text' structures time. Is it a slow-paced film, such as a western? Does it use flashbacks (a common theme in films studied). Anything unusual should provide perfect fodder for your answer. Even if it doesn't there is plenty to discuss
  • Regarding the structure in time of your film, how does the editing effect it. For instance, a director may use a quick sequence of cuts, creating a rapid rhythm, to heighten tension in suspense films, or for comedic effect. Contrarily, they may also employ a slow pace to heighten the tension, with long drawn out shots of people creeping down dark hallways. A slow pace could also serve to emphasise the character development of a scene.
  • Think of the structure of time not just as the passing of time, but the appearance of time. Is the time frame linear, or non-linear. How are some scenes given importance by their duration.

Writing an answer
You are best to start with a short reference to the text you are discussing, i.e. Director Michael Curtiz structures time in Casablanca utilising various facets of editing....
Then jump straight into your examples. Explain how the whole time period of your narrative is presented in the film. Then try and list specific scenes where editing has been used in conjuction with time to emphasise or differentiate scenes. You don't really need a conclusion sentence.

How to study?
Apart from practising questions, which you can source from your teacher, the VCAA official exams, or even by altering previous questions, the best ways to study for this SAC is watching your films. Watch with the directors commentary, as you'll find the director won't shut up about how well he used a certain production element - which is what you need to know.
You may also want to look at the assessment reports from previous years, for tips on writing an answer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:39:52 pm by abcat »

abcat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
The Narrative/Production Elements
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:37 pm »
+1
Narrative Elements
Opening Sequence
How is the story/characters introduced? What issues are raised? Possibilities introduced (e.g. Swordfish begins with the car crash/shootout thing)
Closing Sequence
How have the possibilities/issues raised in the opening been realised/resolved, if they have at all. Have the characters changed?
Structure of Time
Think of the structure of time not just as the passing of time, but the appearance of time. Is the time frame linear, or non-linear. How are some scenes given importance by their duration.
Point of View
NOT THE CAMERA ANGLE! This means who is the audience sympathetic to, who's point of view is the story told from.
Cause and Effect
Character's motivations, what drives the plot, what causes a character to commit an action. What event sparks another.
Character Development
How the characters grow, change, experience. Can refer to their relationships, their looks, actions.
Setting
Does the setting effect the way you view the storyline?

Production Elements
Camera
Distance of shots, focus, angle, movement of camera, even could involve colour, film treatment (e.g. Three Kings used a certain type of film treatment to create a 'desert' look)
Lighting
Type of lighting (e.g. under, top, side, back), natural (e.g. sunlight), artificial, realistic/expressive - what kind of feeling is the lighting trying to create
Editing
placement, rhythm, style, techniques, pace
Sound
Can be diagetic (within the film's world) or non-diagetic (outside the film - film score), dialogue, sfx, background music
Visual Composition
Mise en scene, everything you can see in the frame. What is the audience's reaction to the mise en scene - the set, costume, prop and also the relation (i.e. space, interreaction) of these parts.
Acting
The actors performance.

abcat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Re: SAC One: Narrative/Production Elements - Preperation WIP
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:39:48 pm »
+1
Alright, I've gotten lazy so the guide won't really be finished properly, but I think a better way for me to help you guys is a question and answer basis. Any questions for the SAC, just post in this thread or another, and I'll try to answer as quick as possibly. If you'd like me to read through practice questions you answered, you can PM them to me and I'll do the same. Good luck.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: SAC One: Narrative/Production Elements - Preperation
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:37:35 pm »
hi,
is it true that before you answer any narrative question,
you must state the definition of the element or elements?
this is what my teacher said :-\

abcat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:41:45 pm »
+1
hi,
is it true that before you answer any narrative question,
you must state the definition of the element or elements?
this is what my teacher said :-\
That's a subjective thing I guess, on the exam it wouldn't really be required. I think you'll find when in the exam its a time-consuming exercise that doesnt really add to the argument. The examiners know the elements. Nonetheless, when writing you must still refer to parts of narrative/production elements when discussing them. For example, if I was talking about the production element of editing, I'd use words like pace, style, rhythm.

There is a difference between stating the definition of an element, and using words appropriate for describing the element. You need to do the latter, but the former isn't essential.

However, its best to write for your marker (in this case your teacher). If your teacher wants you to write a certain way, your best to write that way when he/she is marking you (which they will be in the SAC). If they want you to define the element, aim to please :D

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:19:05 am »
hi
i have my first sac coming up and my teacher said its going to be a series of short answer questions written in exam format style. im really scared cause im not so sure how to write them. would anyone be able to upload a sample answer to a sample narrative question?
Thankyou :)

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:35:17 pm »
anyone? please lol

millstone

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »
yeah someone give us some sample questions and answers please i have no idea what's going to be on our sac we've just been doing stupid crap that probably will never help us all term

thelovecatsx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:35 pm »
I've done the first media sac. Our teacher just printed out the exam questions on Narrative/Production elements for us to write on as practise.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:34:22 pm by thelovecatsx »
2008: english, psychology, media, history revs, methods.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »
so wait... your sac was on just writing the definitions of the elements? how was it set out?

thelovecatsx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 05:48:47 pm »
Nah, we had to relate the elements back to our text. We'd identify an element, use examples from the film, then describe it's impact on the audience etc.

Questions were more like the one abcat posted above.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »
oh ok awesome thanks for that.
would you by any chance have the questions that were used in your SAC?

thelovecatsx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:02 pm »
I'm afraid not.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
thanks anyway

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 05:03:04 pm »
in class were doing a prac sac and one of the questions is about how cause and effect is used with story and production elements or something to help the audience understand or anlayse the movie. its a big question worth 15 marks. but we weren't allowed to keep the sheet so i dont know what the question is exactly. but i just need some help as in, what story and prod elements are used with cause and effect? im not too sure on this. any help would be great.