Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:38 pm

Author Topic: Microsoft Office - Spelling!  (Read 6738 times)  Share 

the.watchman

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +10
Re: Microsoft Office - Spelling!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:07:27 pm »
Yep, the 'c' indicates the noun, and the 's' indicates the verb.
This is somewhat similar to advice and advise, to some extent

Except pronunciation. Good spot though. If you had trouble identifying which practi(c/s)e was which you could use Advise and Advice to remember.

Move into english language watchmen.

LOL our school doesn't offer EngLang :( I would've done it
(and it's watchman, not watchmen, it's not a reference to the movie :P)
Remember, remember the 5th of November

2010 - MM CAS (47) - Cisco 1+2 (pass :P)
2011 - Eng - Phys - Chem - Spesh - Latin - UMAT
ATAR - 99.00+ plz... :)

Feel free to PM me for anything :D

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »
Yep, the 'c' indicates the noun, and the 's' indicates the verb.
This is somewhat similar to advice and advise, to some extent

Except pronunciation. Good spot though. If you had trouble identifying which practi(c/s)e was which you could use Advise and Advice to remember.

Move into english language watchmen.

LOL our school doesn't offer EngLang :( I would've done it
(and it's watchman, not watchmen, it's not a reference to the movie :P)

That sucks.

And neithers your avatar? :P

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:13:58 pm by Visionz »

the.watchman

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 06:10:55 pm »
Actually I didn't notice the avatar similarity :P
But no soz, the hidden meaning is something better ;)
Remember, remember the 5th of November

2010 - MM CAS (47) - Cisco 1+2 (pass :P)
2011 - Eng - Phys - Chem - Spesh - Latin - UMAT
ATAR - 99.00+ plz... :)

Feel free to PM me for anything :D

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 06:44:38 pm »
I'm so stupid to have not done English language since it seems like a much more useful subject than English. So do you guys also analyse where to put commas, colons, semi-colons, etc?

I need an English 101 to learn how to use correct grammar. :S
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:40 pm »
nah, i'm trying to work out wtf standard english is, because I am gettting conflicting information from my teacher and my tutor.  i believe my tutor because she is 110% pro...but she ain't gonna be the one marking my sacs.  :(

i also said that accent variation in australia can no longer be described as either broad, cultivated or general,(which is what the EL study design says) and made reference to the quote:

'The General type was uniquely Australian but without the undesirable connotations associated with either Cultivated or Broad. It became the new standard.

Accent variation in Australia today cannot be adequately described with reference to the broadness continuum. Recent research shows that there is now new variation that is separate from these traditional categories.'

Which is from the Macquarie Uni website, and she cracked the shits at me.
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »
nah, i'm trying to work out wtf standard english is, because I am gettting conflicting information from my teacher and my tutor.  i believe my tutor because she is 110% pro...but she ain't gonna be the one marking my sacs.  :(

i also said that accent variation in australia can no longer be described as either broad, cultivated or general,(which is what the EL study design says) and made reference to the quote:

'The General type was uniquely Australian but without the undesirable connotations associated with either Cultivated or Broad. It became the new standard.

Accent variation in Australia today cannot be adequately described with reference to the broadness continuum. Recent research shows that there is now new variation that is separate from these traditional categories.'

It doesnt matter what Standard English is. We only talk about Standard Australian English is in English Language.
I dont think there is a Standard English anyway as the language doesnt originate from one particular place.

You cant try to disprove the concept of broad, general and cultivated either and not expect to face the wrath of the teacher. :P You need to learn what the study design tells you you need to learn anyway. Its not really up for debate...

We dont really get into semi-colons, and colons, commas, etc, QuantumJG. That stuff is pretty basic grammar..
In EL we practically learn why we use the language that we do. How our coutry, our society, influences the way we communicate.

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:12 pm »
nah, i'm trying to work out wtf standard english is, because I am gettting conflicting information from my teacher and my tutor.  i believe my tutor because she is 110% pro...but she ain't gonna be the one marking my sacs.  :(

It doesnt matter what Standard English is. We only talk about Standard Australian English is in English Language.
I dont think there is a Standard English anyway as the language doesnt originate from one particular place.

You cant try to disprove the concept of broad, general and cultivated either and not expect to face the wrath of the teacher. :P You need to learn what the study design tells you you need to learn anyway. Its not really up for debate...

We dont really get into semi-colons, and colons, commas, etc, QuantumJG. That stuff is pretty basic grammar..
In EL we practically learn why we use the language that we do. How our coutry, our society, influences the way we communicate.

haha i know.  i wan't trying to say it like that though.  i was just pointing out that is inaccurate to say that these are the only ways to categorize the Australian accent.  Of course i'll learn from the study design and expect her to teach it, and everyone should accept it.  I wasn't disputing that.  But just because something is in the study design doesn't make it right.
englang course is outdated/watered down...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:44:08 pm by stonecold »
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown