Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:58:55 pm

Author Topic: 2007 EXAM: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  (Read 1666 times)  Share 

Mystery

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
2007 EXAM: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:11:10 pm »
I went about my exam for this question like this, any feedback welcome:

25. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Christopher?s father tells him: ?We all make mistakes, Christopher. You, me, your mum, everyone. And sometimes they?re really big mistakes. We?re only human?.
?This is the story of coming to accept that the world is not perfect.?
Discuss.

Christopher's plans and strategies which he employs to cope with the world (views of logic and reason, love, honesty and trust) - which can be seen by the reader as ineffective and innappropriate at times especially in times of stress, demonstrating the imperfections of Christopher's ways...

Christopher's literal interpretation of language and how it affects his interactions with others such as the policeman early in the novel. When he is asked open questions and is unable to detect the implied meanings behind them he becomes frustrated as we see together with the policeman who treats him just as any other offender demonstrating society's intolerance of the intellectually disabled, emphasizing the flaws in others.

Ed's motivations and how they dramatically affected Christopher. The lies and deceptions of his father which Christopher is unable to detect as he is not capable of lying himself, highlights the problems and difficulties experienced by individuals who must look after a child with behavioural problems, further reflecting the acceptance of a not so perfect world.

Judy's inability to cope with Christopher's emotionless world. How she is forced to escape the situation in an attempt to feel "loved" indicates her imperfections in life as finding it difficult to understand someone like Christopher.

Thanks in advance!
I believe life is constantly testing us for our level of commitment and life's greatest rewards are reserved for those who show a never-ending commitment to act until they achieve. This level of resolve can move mountains, but it must be constant and consistent. As simplistic as this may sound, this is still the common denominator that separates those who live their dreams to those who live in regret.