Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:53:05 pm

Author Topic: annoting text  (Read 3743 times)  Share 

cappa1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
annoting text
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:06:54 pm »
Hi,

I am new to english language and am having a bit of trouble annoting a pice of text for my first sac. This text is based on teenspeak. i Have to talk about what the context, function, mode and audience. what its register is. The phonetic and prosodic features that are apparent and Distictive features of the sample. Would anyone be abelt o help me out. The text is:

Sue rang me last night.
Hi Deb. What happened?
He cracked a mental.
What for?
He found the note.
Deadset? Are ya on detention? Is he gonna tell ya olds?
Yeah, so he reckons
No bull? What a weak act.
Oh the old perv. Bishop can stick it.
Anyway, has Bruce rang ya yet?
Nah. he rings me at eight.
Deadset? Every Wednesday? Jeez he's roolly stoked in ya Deb. Treats ya rooly good and stuff.
Yeah reckon. how bout Danny? Does he......Tch! Oh hang on, it's me old lady.......Wot mum?....Sue!.....Yeah! i gotta ask her a science question don't I?....Righto..
Being a girl, i never rang Bruce. I just spent all Wednesday night by the phone. that gave me time to write out the junk i was going to say to him:
1. Didja hear about Freda Cummins?
2. How was the surf?
3. Did you watch number 96?
4. Got called down to the headmaster's today.
5.What are we doin' Friday night??

Thankyou

Edit to fix the spelling in the text itself that I can remember off the top of my head :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:16:12 pm by caramel »
English Language 44
Further Maths 47

cara.mel

Re: annoting text
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:14:33 pm »
Hey, I've read that before :P It's from a book that was from either the 70s or early 80s => some of what they say is out of date, despite it being from Australia. Oh and number 96 = some tv show.

Is that the actual sac, or is it a practise one?
If it's the real one, I refuse to help. If it's a practise, make an attempt at it yourself first. You should be able to do context, mode, function, audience, register, that's all routine, and take a good stab at the other questions (but don't worry if you don't get every detail, no one ever does)

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:23:59 pm »
Refer to the subsystems. Example: "Anyway" used as a hedge.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

cappa1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:27:39 pm »
its a practrice sac we dont get the real text till the day of the sac, i have annoted things such as ellision, blending, slang, reductions and dysmephistic language, is there anything else there you could help me with.

Thanks
English Language 44
Further Maths 47

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »
The word "rooly" in place of "really" suggests that the speaker might speak Broad English.
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"Your arguments are seri

cara.mel

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:51:12 pm »
Pretty good :) You have shortening as well (people's names etc). If you're desperate you can go off on a morphology tangent and say how adding the morpheme -y/-ie and -o to the end of things is also very aussie. (I kinda used that in about every 2nd essay by the end)

What is happening to the sounds in words like 'roolly'

Oh and do you have prosodic features all good? (although it doesn't really allude to much reading it again, useless story)

cara.mel

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:46 pm »
The word "rooly" in place of "really" suggests that the speaker might speak Broad English.

Just be careful you don't use terms like Broad Australian English as if there are 3 distinct varieties of AE that each fit in boxes, and that's all there is to it. It's more like a continuous line, with cultivated at one end and broad at the other, and everyone slots onto the line somewhere. Also, only some elements of a speakers idolect may be on the broad side

ElephantStew

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:28 pm »
id rather a sac like that....for our sac we have to interview someone with either a broad, cultivated or other identifiable variety or ethnolect and,referring to the subsystems, analyse how their language  reflects their identity. It's pretty good considering we do it at home and write it up in class but its too tedious...and its tomorrow *sigh*
2007:
International Studies (37)

2008:
Eng Lang
Latin
Legal
Methods
Revolutions
Monash Enhancement Study - History

2009:
BA (Bachelor of Awesomeness) @ The University of Melbourne

JL_91

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »
My first SAC is a straightforward language test..terminology and definitions.

cara.mel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 05:21:11 pm »

Really? =/
My first one was a transcript which had like no features in it because it was all standard english xD and then an essay and that combined together. And then we re-did it because we all did bad xD

Edit: To make this clearer to other people reading, we went to the same school, main reason why I'm curious
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:00:53 pm by caramel »

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:34 pm »
we had an oral on varieties of english

it was pretty interesting, and pretty good, considering we didnt have to sit in exam conditions and write

and the one coming up will be a discussion on the english used in "my fair lady" and talk about how language and power work....

:D :D
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »
wow. that is hard stuff. we had to collect articles and comment on how it made us feel.
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"Your arguments are seri

gta007

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • University of Melbourne Student
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:46:07 pm »
My first SAC was very similar to JL_91's first SAC; basically a test on the subsystems and word classes.
Just had my 2nd SAC today; an essay with the topic: "All forms of language are acceptable, as long as they are real examples of everyday speech. To what extent do you agree?

Was alright I guess, we had 2 periods, but I didn't do much in the 1st one. Probably wrote about ~600 words.
2008 ENTER = 97.90

BCom @ UoM - I love you Melbourne!

JL_91

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 11:39:14 pm »

Really? =/
My first one was a transcript which had like no features in it because it was all standard english xD and then an essay and that combined together. And then we re-did it because we all did bad xD

Edit: To make this clearer to other people reading, we went to the same school, main reason why I'm curious

LOL our school has a weird habit of making us re-do tests and SACs! well I'm actually doing eng lang by distance this year, because it clashed with revs...that's why my SAC is quite different from what you had to do :D

cara.mel

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:06 am »

Really? =/

LOL our school has a weird habit of making us re-do tests and SACs! well I'm actually doing eng lang by distance this year, because it clashed with revs...that's why my SAC is quite different from what you had to do :D

That would be why yours is different :P
I think we ended up redoing 3/4 of the SACs in EL XD